Trebaruna

Who should pay for the AOS fees?

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So I read your previous thread.  

Honestly...I’d be rather ticked off if my spouse-to-be was insisting I move to a country not of my choosing, in addition to having me leave my entire family and friends, my lifestyle, my cuisine, my culture and my security ——and then had the audacity to expect me to foot the entire bill for everything as well?

You thought in your last thread that she might be using you for a green card.  If she doesn’t want to move to the US them how is she using you?  You speak (more than once) of her wealth or her parents’ wealth in both threads.

I’m beginning to wonder if the plot-twist in whatever argument the two of you are having about fees...is that she’s fearful that you just might be using her financially.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

5 hours ago, Going through said:

So I read your previous thread.  

Honestly...I’d be rather ticked off if my spouse-to-be was insisting I move to a country not of my choosing, in addition to having me leave my entire family and friends, my lifestyle, my cuisine, my culture and my security ——and then had the audacity to expect me to foot the entire bill for everything as well?

You thought in your last thread that she might be using you for a green card.  If she doesn’t want to move to the US them how is she using you?  You speak (more than once) of her wealth or her parents’ wealth in both threads.

I’m beginning to wonder if the plot-twist in whatever argument the two of you are having about fees...is that she’s fearful that you just might be using her financially.

I never forced her to leave her country, and don't have to. She welcomes the idea of moving away from her home country, Brazil. We need to find a country we can both live so that we can be together. I obviously wouldn't want to move to Brazil. She doesn't want to stay there either. I currently live in the US, but don't particularly want to stay here. I wanted to move to Lisbon, which she declined. She suggested some other European countries, but I don't care for them. So the US looks like the only possible place. Not the first choice by any means, but the only feasible.

Sponsoring someone's green card is never to be taken lightly. It's a legal bind to someone you can't easily get out of. Knowing a girl well enough to marry her is difficult enough when they live nearby, imagine thousands of km away. I think few, very few people knew their K1 fiancée that well before making a decision. How possibly could they? Therefore, it's always going to be somehow a gamble. I don't think trying to protect your assets in case things go wrong is unreasonable nor does it make you a horrible person. Just playing it safe.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Trebaruna said:

Sponsoring someone's green card is never to be taken lightly. It's a legal bind to someone you can't easily get out of. Knowing a girl well enough to marry her is difficult enough when they live nearby, imagine thousands of km away.

Absolutely agree with you.

2 minutes ago, Trebaruna said:

I think few, very few people knew their K1 fiancée that well before making a decision. How possibly could they? Therefore, it's always going to be somehow a gamble. I don't think trying to protect your assets in case things go wrong is unreasonable nor does it make you a horrible person. Just playing it safe.

Absolutely agree with you again.  This is why I believe others have suggested in this thread and your previous one that the K1 may not be the right "gamble" for you---and instead to take your time in this relationship for a bit longer, especially if you have any doubts about any part of the process.... then think about the CR-1 spouse visa instead, later on.

That would be more playing it safe, as you noted in the last sentence.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.