pooj97

About to start the fiance visa process - so many questions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone, me and my SO have been long distance for the past 4 years and want to start the process of the K1 visa. He is a dual Canadian/UK citizen (living in Canada currently) and I am a natural born US citizen - both of us are of Indian descent. I plan to send out the packet by end of January. I have many questions regarding the fiance visa process before I start and hope you all can help. Thanks in advance! Here they are:

1) We both have the same last name. Our last name is pretty common in India but we don't want USCIS to think we are related (definitely not) or already married. How do we clarify that?

2) Both of our families are from the same town in India and have known each other for years. We both "met" when we were 4 years old and kept meeting each summer after the age of 13 (we are both 23 now), this is how we eventually fell in love and started a relationship. How do we show this to USCIS? Again, I do not want them to think we are related or anything.

3) If I change physical addresses in the middle of the K1 visa processing - what do I do? I plan on putting the mailing/permanent address as my parents' home since I live in an apartment a couple hours away for work and might transfer to a different city soon. Do I still have to change physical addresses?

4) In line with the previous question, I am a young professional but might be changing companies or locations as many young people do. What do I send to USCIS if I am changing jobs/companies?

5) I just started my job in September since I graduated college this past May. Therefore I don't have too many paystubs yet for proof of income. This is a permanent job though so what do I have to show if I don't have a 2018 tax return or anything? Are the past 5 or 6 paystubs enough for proof of income? Do I have to show anything else for proof of employment?

6) My fiance's family is currently also in the process of the "sibling visa" (form I-130), but my fiance is no longer eligible for that since he is now over the age of 21. Do I have to tell USCIS about this?

7) Our families want to hold a small engagement ceremony next May (2020) just for formality purposes and to make it official to our families. I know there have been cases where USCIS thinks this counts as a wedding ceremony so I do NOT plan on sending any proof of this. This ceremony will be held in Canada however. Should I mention anything about this at all in the fiance visa packet? 

Again, thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

3) Once you have your receipt number from NOA1 you can change the mailing address online. https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/displayCOAForm.do

4) You don't need to update the current jobs in the forms if you change, you only need to enter your jobs as of the day you send in the I-129F

5) Proof of income isn't needed until the visa interview which is going to be months and months away from now, so you will have a 2019 tax return by then. More on the requirements here https://www.uscis.gov/i-134

1) birth certificates for each of you and for each or your parents would help in proving your at least not siblings or 1st cousins... 

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, pooj97 said:

Hi everyone, me and my SO have been long distance for the past 4 years and want to start the process of the K1 visa. He is a dual Canadian/UK citizen (living in Canada currently) and I am a natural born US citizen - both of us are of Indian descent. I plan to send out the packet by end of January. I have many questions regarding the fiance visa process before I start and hope you all can help. Thanks in advance! Here they are:

1) We both have the same last name. Our last name is pretty common in India but we don't want USCIS to think we are related (definitely not) or already married. How do we clarify that?

both of your birth certificates should solve that issue

2) Both of our families are from the same town in India and have known each other for years. We both "met" when we were 4 years old and kept meeting each summer after the age of 13 (we are both 23 now), this is how we eventually fell in love and started a relationship. How do we show this to USCIS? Again, I do not want them to think we are related or anything.

there is no way for them to know that, nor do they care. all you have to provide is proof of meeting within the past 2 years of filing.

3) If I change physical addresses in the middle of the K1 visa processing - what do I do? I plan on putting the mailing/permanent address as my parents' home since I live in an apartment a couple hours away for work and might transfer to a different city soon. Do I still have to change physical addresses?

once you file and have your NOA1 you can update your address

4) In line with the previous question, I am a young professional but might be changing companies or locations as many young people do. What do I send to USCIS if I am changing jobs/companies?

nothing

5) I just started my job in September since I graduated college this past May. Therefore I don't have too many paystubs yet for proof of income. This is a permanent job though so what do I have to show if I don't have a 2018 tax return or anything? Are the past 5 or 6 paystubs enough for proof of income? Do I have to show anything else for proof of employment?

you dont provide proof of income until the interview and by then you will have tax return . at that time you can provide tax transcipt, employment letter, and paystubs

6) My fiance's family is currently also in the process of the "sibling visa" (form I-130), but my fiance is no longer eligible for that since he is now over the age of 21. Do I have to tell USCIS about this?

k1 petition is more about the petitioner than the beneficiary. i dont recall an area for that on the k1. if there is, simply answer it though and you can explain in the additional information section. it wont be an issue

7) Our families want to hold a small engagement ceremony next May (2020) just for formality purposes and to make it official to our families. I know there have been cases where USCIS thinks this counts as a wedding ceremony so I do NOT plan on sending any proof of this. This ceremony will be held in Canada however. Should I mention anything about this at all in the fiance visa packet? 

do not do this and do not allow pics on social media

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

On 12/20/2019 at 8:33 PM, pooj97 said:

Again, thank you!

1) long form birth certificates

2) Just need to prove you've met in the last 2 years

3) no

4) doesn't matter at this time, will matter later for the I-134 and I-864

5) you have about a year to worry about this

6) You do have to mention he'd been petitioned before

7) regarding this - have you guys looked into the CR1 visa instead?  I don't know about your fiance, but I would go bonkers not being able to work for 6 months like you are stuck doing with the K1.  The CR1 takes longer to visa, but shorter to green card with the benefit of working asap.  The only issue is that you have to marry first.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.