ChimpNL

Consulate interview

26 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
45 minutes ago, ChimpNL said:

Not sure if this is possible but I was thinking as a tourist for six months at a time. I have plenty of friends I can stay with. 

It seems your problem is less so where to interview and more so where you want to spend the waiting period. If you spend 6 months in Canada and then leave for a little bit and then think you can just go back without any questions, its highly unlikely. 

I grew up in Canada and in my personal experience Canadian border control is more strict than the Americans.

Based on your name I am guessing you are from the Netherlands? You should do some research on the wait times. I am almost certain that the wait times for Amsterdam are shorter than Montreal. 

Therefore maybe you can go to Canada for 6 months and hopefully by the end you will have an interview appointment for AMS and then you just pop over there for the interview. Otherwise you may be waiting longer if you choose to interview in MTL

Also fill out your timeline so we can see where you are in the process :)

Edited by designguy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Correct, I am from the Netherlands. 🙂 Yes, I may decide to just fly to AMS for the visa interview process but wait in Canada in the meantime. 

Will update it one of these days - I just made my account today to ask this question. :) Thank you all!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

If you are in the US on a visa but you were a resident of another country for more then 6 months then you can interview in that country to which you lived more then 6 months in. You don't have to be physically living their if on a visa somewhere else. Since their are no Consulate's in the US that you can interview then Canada is as good of a choice as any other. So if your case is going to another country other then Canada then you must contact the country which your file is going to so that they will send it to Montreal Canada for your processing their. Hope this helps.

She was never living in Canada legally. No way will Montreal allow her to interview there. Montreal wants proof of legal residency and there is no way around it. 

Also another problem will be the police check for Canada. I must be done through a service as she is not a resident of Canada.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

I was a legal, though not permanent, resident but I left the country when I went to the US and no longer have valid documents to be in Canada. 

I think what I'll do though is wait it out in Canada but interview in my home country. :) Thanks y'all! 

Edited by ChimpNL

Timeline
4 minutes ago, ChimpNL said:

I was a legal, though not permanent, resident but I left the country when I went to the US and no longer have valid documents to be in Canada. 

I think what I'll do though is wait it out in Canada but interview in my home country. :) Thanks y'all! 

Ah I misread I thought you said you were never legal in Canada. Anyway, now that you no longer have any type of status they will not let you interview there. 

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

16 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

She was never living in Canada legally. No way will Montreal allow her to interview there. Montreal wants proof of legal residency and there is no way around it. 

Also another problem will be the police check for Canada. I must be done through a service as she is not a resident of Canada.

Think I wizzed right past the word NOT which does make a big difference. My bad. Thanks for catching that.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

10 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

Ah I misread I thought you said you were never legal in Canada. Anyway, now that you no longer have any type of status they will not let you interview there. 

So if she was a legal resident and she left on a visa with intentions to return (by words not hers) and her parents to whom she lived with priof to (my words not hers) her exercising the visa, wouldn't she still be able to secure residency?

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

So if she was a legal resident and she left on a visa with intentions to return (by words not hers) and her parents to whom she lived with priof to (my words not hers) her exercising the visa, wouldn't she still be able to secure residency?

She has no status in Canada, so  returning now will not make a difference. I don't know what visa she was on but she said it is gone now. Montreal has been pretty stick with others needing to show proof that they were legal in Canada and will continue to be until the visa is issued. That can be a work visa, student visa or PR but once it is gone that's it. 

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Timeline

Ok, thanks! 

When I was in Canada last I was there for 362 days before I left for the US, which makes that I technically don't have to get Canadian police checks since the requirement is police checks for countries where you have resided for at least a year since turning sixteen. 

Now, if I go there to wait the K1 out, does that add to the the 362 days (so does that make me have to get a Canadian police check), or are police checks only necessary for instances where you were in a foreign country for a year at a time? 

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
2 minutes ago, ChimpNL said:

Ok, thanks! 

When I was in Canada last I was there for 362 days before I left for the US, which makes that I technically don't have to get Canadian police checks since the requirement is police checks for countries where you have resided for at least a year since turning sixteen. 

Now, if I go there to wait the K1 out, does that add to the the 362 days (so does that make me have to get a Canadian police check), or are police checks only necessary for instances where you were in a foreign country for a year at a time? 

Do you plan on listing your addresses in Canada as your residence?

This is kind of a gray area and it seems like you plan on waiting it out/"living" in Canada even though you are techincally not allowed to live there, you can only be a tourist. So where are you considering your residence to be?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You will need a police check from RCMP if you are planning to have your interview in CANADA. 

5 hours ago, ChimpNL said:

Ok, thanks! 

What was your status here in Canada for that 362 days? 

Tourists are only allowed 6mos? Were you on student visa or temporary work?

Edited by Kartineecartoons

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.