jaysaldi

Recently filed I-485 to adjust status from K-1. Will we be receiving an I-797 or I-797C in the mail?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

The Department of Motor Vehicles says that because we have filed to adjust status they will need her K-1 visa and I-797, not an I-797C, in order to issue her a license or ID card.

I'm confused about which one I'll be getting in the mail soon.

Oddly, the DMV tells me that ordinarily a K-1 visa and valid unexpired I-94 are sufficient to get a state ID card. But once you apply to adjust status, the K-1 and I-94 are no longer good enough to get a license, and you need an I-797 even if your K-1 visa and I-94 haven't expired.

They say that when DHS tells them the green card application is pending, they then reject requests for ID cards that a K-1 visa holder with proof of residence could otherwise get.   

So I guess that after missing the deadline for getting her a SSN I should have applied for state ID card before adjusting status?

Edited by jaysaldi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline
11 minutes ago, jaysaldi said:

The Department of Motor Vehicles says that because we have filed to adjust status they will need her K-1 visa and I-797, not an I-797C, in order to issue her a license or ID card.

I'm confused about which one I'll be getting in the mail soon.

Oddly, the DMV tells me that ordinarily a K-1 visa and valid unexpired I-94 are sufficient to get a state ID card. But once you apply to adjust status, the K-1 and I-94 are no longer good enough to get a license, and you need an I-797 even if your K-1 visa and I-94 haven't expired.

They say that when DHS tells them the green card application is pending, they then reject requests for ID cards that a K-1 visa holder with proof of residence could otherwise get.   

So I guess that after missing the deadline for getting her a SSN I should have applied for state ID card before adjusting status?

I applied for ID and all they needed was EAD receipt notice (i797c) and i94. Also with address proof,which in my case was bank statement, ssn,and health insurance. 

Each state has its own rules.

You'll like get more accurate answers if you disclose which one so other VJ members can tell you their experiences.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

If you filed Forms I-485, I-131, and I-765, you will likely get a bunch of Form I-797C, Notice of Action,  including, forms for receipts of applications / fee payment (I-485, I-765, I-131), ACS biometrics appointments, AOS interview appointment . If you successfully maneuver through the process, and your AOS application is approved, you should receive a Form I-797, AOS approval notice.

HTH

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.