Voice of Reason

WATCH LIVE! Elon Musk presents the new Tesla Cybertruck Launch

125 posts in this topic

Filed: O-2 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
11 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

This is one fugly truck.  Kinda makes the Mustang EV look better.  The dent-free feature is nice, however.

Also, is it just me, or is Elon stoned?

Torqued the eff our of that Detroit p..o..s

I'm more function over form anyways, but I have to admit, after seeing the interior, it would definitely be an adjustment.. a steering wheel and a screen and nothing else. 

The price isn't bad at all though. It's 500+ miles on EPA range for the highest, but I wonder how far that drops for colder temps. My experience with electrics in them is they can drop to under half the range.

Filed: Timeline
29 minutes ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

I'm more function over form anyways, but I have to admit, after seeing the interior, it would definitely be an adjustment.. a steering wheel and a screen and nothing else. 

The price isn't bad at all though. It's 500+ miles on EPA range for the highest, but I wonder how far that drops for colder temps. My experience with electrics in them is they can drop to under half the range.

Wasn't 500 miles the top trim line?  Kinda pricey.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 hours ago, ALFKAD said:

This is one fugly truck.  Kinda makes the Mustang EV look better.  The dent-free feature is nice, however.

Also, is it just me, or is Elon stoned?

I wonder how they test for the “dent free” performance?  Maybe they use golf clubs or baseball bats?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
3 hours ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

Or when carrying a load or towing?  Overall, I am fine with EVs, they certainly have a place, but are not practical for everyone.

3 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

Or when carrying a load or towing?  Overall, I am fine with EVs, they certainly have a place, but are not practical for everyone.

The only thing imo that makes EVs not practical for some are 1) price, 2) battery tech, as in, capacity and recharging tech, also how the technology deals with keeping batteries at optimal temps as they are very finicky about high and low temps, 3) quick charge station locations. 

I'm an owner of electric cars, I've always been a huge fan, and not in the same way lefties are, but because I know the science of magnetism, electric engines, etc., often utilized in computer hardware, and since high school have been anticipating the change to electric vehicles. Of course, it helped that I worked at Google's HQ when Musk came to the campus to show off the Roadster before it went to market. The more people that change to electric will realize how much we've been duped in respect to how wastefully inefficient combustion engines are, and we've had the tech and know-how to change to electric cars for decades, so it's largely been political as to why this evolution was stunted. 

With regard to load carrying and towing, you might be surprised that it doesn't affect the engine much because EVs are instant torque. This is why they have racecar-like acceleration and most achieve 0-60 in under 2 seconds to 5 seconds, depending on the software's settings. For a combustion engine, variability is introduced because of the combination of components into combustion, and this variability results in inefficiency and wasted potential. Thus, for electric vehicles, like a computer, it becomes a situation where you're dealing with the "weakest link", as in, the overall performance of the product as a whole depends on the weakest component. Meaning, if the vehicle (the engine, but also other components of the vehicle that get stressed) is designed to carry that load, the engine will have no issues at all with towing regardless of the load. The concern with electric vehicles and towing isn't the ability to tow (there is no question of its superior towing to combustion vehicles) what they're rated for, but the issues that need tweaking to better handle the electric vehicle's battery efficiency. The software packages for example need to better handle power delivery, as they tend to deliver far too much power which means quicker battery drain. Combine this with cold temps and it becomes somewhat more problematic, but for this vehicle, it would mainly be for the base battery given its quite low, and for short hauls from a cold start, for someone who doesn't like leaving their vehicle connected to a charger overnight. Long hauls and quick charges become less worrisome because after minutes of driving the battery's temp becomes stabilized thus no longer has those efficiency issues from cold temps. It's the short drives from cold starts on a cold battery that are the main impediments to range under load, and the software for dealing with power efficiency relative to load, but these are rather minor issues, and issues that owners of electric vehicles deal with, as non-owners tend to vastly underestimate the torque of electric vehicles.

Timeline
5 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

I wonder how they test for the “dent free” performance?  Maybe they use golf clubs or baseball bats?

Sorry, I did not watch the video first, apparently sledgehammers.  Still, any metal panel can be dented with enough applied force.

Also, what was the point of the glass demonstration?  I assume they knew the glass would break?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

The only thing imo that makes EVs not practical for some are 1) price, 2) battery tech, as in, capacity and recharging tech, also how the technology deals with keeping batteries at optimal temps as they are very finicky about high and low temps, 3) quick charge station locations. 

I'm an owner of electric cars, I've always been a huge fan, and not in the same way lefties are, but because I know the science of magnetism, electric engines, etc., often utilized in computer hardware, and since high school have been anticipating the change to electric vehicles. Of course, it helped that I worked at Google's HQ when Musk came to the campus to show off the Roadster before it went to market. The more people that change to electric will realize how much we've been duped in respect to how wastefully inefficient combustion engines are, and we've had the tech and know-how to change to electric cars for decades, so it's largely been political as to why this evolution was stunted. 

With regard to load carrying and towing, you might be surprised that it doesn't affect the engine much because EVs are instant torque. This is why they have racecar-like acceleration and most achieve 0-60 in under 2 seconds to 5 seconds, depending on the software's settings. For a combustion engine, variability is introduced because of the combination of components into combustion, and this variability results in inefficiency and wasted potential. Thus, for electric vehicles, like a computer, it becomes a situation where you're dealing with the "weakest link", as in, the overall performance of the product as a whole depends on the weakest component. Meaning, if the vehicle (the engine, but also other components of the vehicle that get stressed) is designed to carry that load, the engine will have no issues at all with towing regardless of the load. The concern with electric vehicles and towing isn't the ability to tow (there is no question of its superior towing to combustion vehicles) what they're rated for, but the issues that need tweaking to better handle the electric vehicle's battery efficiency. The software packages for example need to better handle power delivery, as they tend to deliver far too much power which means quicker battery drain. Combine this with cold temps and it becomes somewhat more problematic, but for this vehicle, it would mainly be for the base battery given its quite low, and for short hauls from a cold start, for someone who doesn't like leaving their vehicle connected to a charger overnight. Long hauls and quick charges become less worrisome because after minutes of driving the battery's temp becomes stabilized thus no longer has those efficiency issues from cold temps. It's the short drives from cold starts on a cold battery that are the main impediments to range under load, and the software for dealing with power efficiency relative to load, but these are rather minor issues, and issues that owners of electric vehicles deal with, as non-owners tend to vastly underestimate the torque of electric vehicles.

I guess my point about towing or carrying a load was based on range reduction, I am sure EV trucks would be capable.  Like I said, EVs are fine and have a place, but I do not see them taking over the world.  People should have the freedom to make their choice.  Btw, with an EV in ludicrous mode, how does that impact range?

8 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

I guess my point about towing or carrying a load was based on range reduction, I am sure EV trucks would be capable.  Like I said, EVs are fine and have a place, but I do not see them taking over the world.  People should have the freedom to make their choice.  Btw, with an EV in ludicrous mode, how does that impact range?

Not much in practice, primarily because virtually no one uses it for more than a few minutes at most, there's no reason to use it besides those times you want to show off, or if you live in a boring city like Calgary and have no theme parks with rollercoasters so this is basically your equivalent of a thrill ride. 😂

1 hour ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

I drive a RAV4 hybrid. Get about 39 MPG. Batteries are warranted 10/150. The 2021 Tundra is going to  get a V6 Turbo/hybrid with 30MPG. First reports say around 430 HP and around a 13000 lb towing with torque thru the roof.  still about 1.5 years away from hitting the lot and the info I am getting is from Toyota training reps. If this holds true its going to be a game changer. I will trade my RAV.  I traded a 16 4wd TRD Tundra on the RAV. 15 MPG was killing me.

The current Tundra is a great solid super reliable high resale value truck, but way behind the power curve on updates and terrible MPG.

All of Toyotas Vans will be 100% hybrid next year. I am skeptical of how that is going to work out.  Older people dont trust hybrid technology, but not many older people buy vans. 

Toyota is planning on 30-40% Hybrid sales next 5 years. The price points are going to be very close to regular trims.

My favorite is the hybrid corolla. Right at 50mpg with a price point around 24500. I have sold everyone on the lot. Prius just doesn't make sense anymore 

I get the reason they may not be as environmentally sound as some think, but the technology is solid 

12 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

I drive a RAV4 hybrid. Get about 39 MPG. Batteries are warranted 10/150. The 2021 Tundra is going to  get a V6 Turbo/hybrid with 30MPG. First reports say around 430 HP and around a 13000 lb towing with torque thru the roof.  still about 1.5 years away from hitting the lot and the info I am getting is from Toyota training reps. If this holds true its going to be a game changer. I will trade my RAV.  I traded a 16 4wd TRD Tundra on the RAV. 15 MPG was killing me.

The current Tundra is a great solid super reliable high resale value truck, but way behind the power curve on updates and terrible MPG.

All of Toyotas Vans will be 100% hybrid next year. I am skeptical of how that is going to work out.  Older people dont trust hybrid technology, but not many older people buy vans. 

Toyota is planning on 30-40% Hybrid sales next 5 years. The price points are going to be very close to regular trims.

My favorite is the hybrid corolla. Right at 50mpg with a price point around 24500. I have sold everyone on the lot. Prius just doesn't make sense anymore 

I get the reason they may not be as environmentally sound as some think, but the technology is solid 

We have a hybrid as well, Escape though, and it's great for mileage, and less maintenance, but everything else about it sucks, and in a winter city like Calgary, 6-8 months out of the year its mileage is effectively no different than a non-hybrid, the added weight of hybrid parts and thus extra fuel burnoff (because of needing to run the heat which automatically throws on the ICE engine) offsets the minor benefit of hybrid assist in this highly relevant scenario. I can't wait for electric vans. Wife is even more excited for it than I am. 

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

The key to the hybrids is getting the price point down. The new highlander xle hybrid is supposed to be almost the same msrp as the regular.

I never thought paying 5 or 6k more for a prius over a corolla made sense 

Filed: Timeline
35 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

The key to the hybrids is getting the price point down. The new highlander xle hybrid is supposed to be almost the same msrp as the regular.

I never thought paying 5 or 6k more for a prius over a corolla made sense 

It doesn't.   Many years ago, I had a Honda Accord V6.  My neighbor bought the exact same model and color, except hybrid.  We ran a spreadsheet comparing numbers, and determined that it would take him about 7.5~8 years to break even once you considered his higher purchase price.  We even bought our gas from the same store to run the experiment.

So for about 2 years, he would come out ahead.  Until those batteries needed to be replaced, and then mine would jump ahead again.

One of these days...