Caresse33

Police clearance for a country I lived only for 8 months????

14 posts in this topic

From my 16th birthday, I live in Congo DRC for 8 month up to August and then move to the UK ever since. Will I need to provide a police clearance certificate for Congo DRc? If I am unable to obtain how I can provide proof that I could not obtain this document? Thank you in advance

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
5 hours ago, Caresse33 said:

From my 16th birthday, I live in Congo DRC for 8 month up to August and then move to the UK ever since. Will I need to provide a police clearance certificate for Congo DRc? If I am unable to obtain how I can provide proof that I could not obtain this document? Thank you in advance

From the State Department

Police Certificates

Available: Yes

Fees: Equivalent of $50 - $100, depending on whether or not it’s an expedite case.

Document Name: Extrait du Casier Judiciaire

Issuing Authority: Ministry of Justice

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: Blue

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: Inspecteur Judiciaire en Chef.

Registration Criteria: Be a resident of the DRC

Procedure for Obtaining: Physically provide proof of identity to the nearest Judiciary Police Field Office either in Kinshasa or in Goma. As part of the application, the applicant must provide their 10-digit fingerprints. The waiting time is between 3 days and two weeks.

Certified Copies Available: There are no certified copies available

Alternate Documents : There are no alternate documents

Exception: Applicants living abroad may get the clearance from the nearest DRC Embassy prior to mailing their application to the Kinshasa Judiciary Police Field Office. The waiting time can be longer than in-country applications.

Comments: This document is commonly known as a 3-month valid document even though there is no legal reference known. For immigration purposes, post accepts it for one year, just as many other countries in the world.

There's a DRC embassy in London. 

2 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Police Certificates

Fees: Equivalent of $50 - $100, depending on whether or not it’s an expedite case.

Procedure for Obtaining: Physically provide proof of identity to the nearest Judiciary Police Field Office either in Kinshasa or in Goma. As part of the application, the applicant must provide their 10-digit fingerprints. The waiting time is between 3 days and two weeks.

Exception: Applicants living abroad may get the clearance from the nearest DRC Embassy prior to mailing their application to the Kinshasa Judiciary Police Field Office. The waiting time can be longer than in-country applications.

Comments: This document is commonly known as a 3-month valid document even though there is no legal reference known. For immigration purposes, post accepts it for one year, just as many other countries in the world.

Thank you I have contacted them, there is exception I will ask

3 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Police Certificates

The website states you lived for 12 months or more. I only live there for 8 , can you please explain or show where it is required for less than 12 months?

E1FAD406-95E8-43FA-B37B-FD9726005C87.png

8 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

Yes, you will need it.  Contact the Congo DRC Embassy.  

The website states 12 month or more, I only lived 8 months. Can you please explain or show where it is required for less than 12 months? Just looking for clarity here. Thank you

51C7E7BD-87B4-4EAE-8CF7-0BC1CDFC588D.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Caresse33 said:

The website states you lived for 12 months or more. I only live there for 8 , can you please explain or show where it is required for less than 12 months?

I wasn't the one who said you needed it. I just looked up where/how since I have the reciprocity page bookmarked. 

Here's the London Embassy list of requirements. https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/required-documents/

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
20 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

Yes, you will need it.  Contact the Congo DRC Embassy.  

Am I missing something?  I thought with the Immigrant visa a person only needed a police clearance from a foreign country if they lived there 1 year or more.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

41 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Am I missing something?  I thought with the Immigrant visa a person only needed a police clearance from a foreign country if they lived there 1 year or more.

Exactly I thought the same thing . This is really confusing because the guidelines cleary states 12 months or more. But I have seen on Visa Journey people were asked to provide police clearance from country they were born even if they never lived there. I was born in Switzerland but only stay til the age of 2, does that mean I also add a police clearance from there as well. It’s really confusing but I just want to be prepared and at this stage I have no idea. As other people experience varies 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
51 minutes ago, Caresse33 said:

Exactly I thought the same thing . This is really confusing because the guidelines cleary states 12 months or more. But I have seen on Visa Journey people were asked to provide police clearance from country they were born even if they never lived there. I was born in Switzerland but only stay til the age of 2, does that mean I also add a police clearance from there as well. It’s really confusing but I just want to be prepared and at this stage I have no idea. As other people experience varies 

Some don't pay attention to visa type, the K-1 is 6 months or more whereas the immigrant visa is 12 months or more.  And then there are the age limitations. 

Plus you can't beat the facts.    https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/required-documents/    <<  Follow this!

Police certificates are required for all countries where you have lived for more than 12 months since the age of 16 and any country where you have been arrested, even if you were not resident there.

U.S. police certificates are not required.

Police certificates from certain countries are unavailable or are obtained directly by this office.  Fingerprints are required for certain countries. A list of UK police stations who can provide fingerprinting services is available from the Embassy website, here (PDF – 337kb).  Foreign police certificates are valid indefinitely, unless you have returned to reside in that country or has been arrested since the issuance of the certificate.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

Some don't pay attention to visa type, the K-1 is 6 months or more whereas the immigrant visa is 12 months or more.  And then there are the age limitations. 

Plus you can't beat the facts.    https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/required-documents/    <<  Follow this!

Police certificates are required for all countries where you have lived for more than 12 months since the age of 16 and any country where you have been arrested, even if you were not resident there.

U.S. police certificates are not required.

Police certificates from certain countries are unavailable or are obtained directly by this office.  Fingerprints are required for certain countries. A list of UK police stations who can provide fingerprinting services is available from the Embassy website, here (PDF – 337kb).  Foreign police certificates are valid indefinitely, unless you have returned to reside in that country or has been arrested since the issuance of the certificate.

Thank you for this, very helpful

No you didn't live there for a year or more.  Unless you are a citizen of that country, you don't need a police certificate. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 2:25 PM, NikLR said:

No you didn't live there for a year or more.  Unless you are a citizen of that country, you don't need a police certificate. 

So just quick update, I have sent my DS260 and in the list of document I need to provide they have asked for my Congo DRC police certificate. I am suprised because according to the requirements I only live there 8 months after my 16th Birthday. Fingerprints have to be taken for this certificate and I am not planning to go there for this. I have contacted the local embassy to see if they can assist with a letter to exempt for this. 

5 hours ago, Caresse33 said:

So just quick update, I have sent my DS260 and in the list of document I need to provide they have asked for my Congo DRC police certificate. I am suprised because according to the requirements I only live there 8 months after my 16th Birthday. Fingerprints have to be taken for this certificate and I am not planning to go there for this. I have contacted the local embassy to see if they can assist with a letter to exempt for this. 

You dont need to do that.  You submit a letter stating you lived there for less than 12 months and are neither a resident or citizen of that country. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.