Deagle

Other names you have used - N400

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Hi all,

Part 2 - Question 3 on N400:

"Other Names You Have Used Since Birth (includes nicknames, aliases, and maiden name, if applicable"

What do they really mean by that? Do they mean that someone calls you by other names or that you have "legally" or "officially" used a different name?

The reason I ask is that my last name consists of 2 words with space in between, as below:

Name: John

Last name: Michael  Smith

In the USA, business will think Michael is my middle name.

I will receive mail for credit card offers, insurance offers named as: "John Michael", or "Michael Smith", or "John Smith", or "John Michaelsmith".

My car registration and phone bill and bank account and taxes have my correct name though.

Should I have listed these names? The reason I didn't is that the question is "Other Names You Have Used Since Birth...".

I myself never used any other names, others are using weird names to address me.

Thanks

The immigration process caused me PTSD.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If businesses get your name wrong in mailings they send out to you (like credit card offers or whatever), I don't think that means you need to include that in other names you've used. 

My name is Patrick, some people have called me Pat. I didn't include Pat in other names I've used. I've never used Pat officially. Only my dad uses it really. Hopefully that helps.

Timeline
1 minute ago, USS_Voyager said:

I think you're fine. It's more for if your name were "Dwayne Douglas Johnson" but also known as "The Rock"

Thanks.

You reminded me of a meme that has 2 pictures. On the left Dwayne Johnson in a black suit and on the right side his WWE photo and the caption reads "Dwayne Johnson looks exactly the same as The Rock". Always makes me laugh. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, patrick33 said:

If businesses get your name wrong in mailings they send out to you (like credit card offers or whatever), I don't think that means you need to include that in other names you've used. 

My name is Patrick, some people have called me Pat. I didn't include Pat in other names I've used. I've never used Pat officially. Only my dad uses it really. Hopefully that helps.

That's what I thought. I didn't user other names, they did.

I took it as if I used a different name on any official stuff like car registration, insurance policy, employment, bank accounts and credit cards... Which I didn't do. So I answered by no.

Filed: Other Timeline
On 11/18/2019 at 7:43 AM, Deagle said:

Hi all,

Part 2 - Question 3 on N400:

"Other Names You Have Used Since Birth (includes nicknames, aliases, and maiden name, if applicable"

What do they really mean by that? Do they mean that someone calls you by other names or that you have "legally" or "officially" used a different name?

The reason I ask is that my last name consists of 2 words with space in between, as below:

Name: John

Last name: Michael  Smith

In the USA, business will think Michael is my middle name.

I will receive mail for credit card offers, insurance offers named as: "John Michael", or "Michael Smith", or "John Smith", or "John Michaelsmith".

My car registration and phone bill and bank account and taxes have my correct name though.

Should I have listed these names? The reason I didn't is that the question is "Other Names You Have Used Since Birth...".

I myself never used any other names, others are using weird names to address me.

Thanks

Idk if this is in terms to your passport showing your father's name, but if that's the case you don't have to use it. You can simply use "John Smith" and it's recognized this way, at least for the USCIS and the social security office from our experience. However if you want to adopt "Michael" as your middle name, you can do so now since you are able to get a legal name change through citizenship.

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days & AOS w/EAD and AP: 180 days

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

08/20/21: Filed ROC

08/23/21: USCIS received package

08/25/21: Text received/Case # assigned

08/26/22: Case transferred to NBC for "speedy processing"

Citizenship:

08/22/22: Filed N-400 online

08/22/22: NOA1/Biometrics Reused                                                                                                           

Timeline
9 minutes ago, celie&joseph said:

Idk if this is in terms to your passport showing your father's name, but if that's the case you don't have to use it. You can simply use "John Smith" and it's recognized this way, at least for the USCIS and the social security office from our experience. However if you want to adopt "Michael" as your middle name, you can do so now since you are able to get a legal name change through citizenship.

This is not about father name/middle name.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.