AGF

Inquiry _ Information About Your Eligibility Category

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello there dear experts 😊 .. just a quick question: when filing for my AOS under the field “ Information About Your Eligibility Category”, from a K1, now married to my USC husband, which category should I choose? And also, sorry, silly as this may sound but do I use my new family name FOX under “ Your Full Legal Name” ( just wondering if I can use my husband’s name as my legal name because it was indicated on the form that I should use the name on my birth certificate)? We got our marriage certificate last Nov 12 and that’s the only document I have showing my new family name.. 

thanks so much in advance guys! You had/have been a huge help to me and my husband during this journey and we cannot thank you enough.. 👌😊

Ayen Gelena-Fox

56 minutes ago, AGF said:

under the field “ Information About Your Eligibility Category”, from a K1

Are you referring to Page 3 of Form I-765? https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-765.pdf If so, put "(c)(9)( )"

58 minutes ago, AGF said:

do I use my new family name FOX under “ Your Full Legal Name”

Yes

59 minutes ago, AGF said:

We got our marriage certificate last Nov 12 and that’s the only document I have showing my new family name..

That is legal proof of your new name.

Timeline
18 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Are you referring to Page 3 of Form I-765? https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-765.pdf If so, put "(c)(9)( )"

Yes

Thanks so much! Appreciate your responses 😊 I feel much better now.

Timeline

.. on a different note, we just got that dreaded manual verification Phase at SSA ( purely my bad, I didn’t realize that my I-194 is near its expiration 😪 ) .. we are on the process of gathering docs for our AOS /EAD/AP packet.. on the I-765 form page 2 question 14 ( do you want the SSA to issue you a Social Security Card?), i’m leaning towards a “ no” cause I already tried to apply for one, and just attach a copy of the letter that SSA gave me ( further verification ).. my thought process is that since I a.m applying for an employment authorization, it would be logical to ask for an SSN card.. any thoughts on the matter? Appreciate your Help, as always.. thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 11/16/2019 at 5:55 PM, HRQX said:

Yes

I put (c)(0)(9). Do you think it will matter? c09 is on the I-765 NOA1 letter but they maybe just copied what I put.

Is there any difference between C9 and C09? Maybe I'm overthinking 😂

My K1 Visa Timeline:                                                                 My AOS Timeline:

NOA1 - June 15, 2018                                                                NOA - Nov. 8, 2019

My K1 visa interview - April 3, 2019 = APPROVED!! :D       EAD & AP approved - Feb. 6, 2020

Visa on hand - April 8, 2019                                                      EAD/AP combo card & SSN card in married name received - Feb. 13, 2020

US entry - July 31, 2019                                                             Green card interview scheduled - August 11, 2020

Our wedding day - Oct. 14, 2019 ❤️                                        Green card interview - September 10, 2020 = APPROVED! :D

Green card received - September 16, 2020

My ROC Timeline

NOA - July 14, 2022

Fingerprints Were Taken NOA - August 2, 2022

1 hour ago, NicoleM said:

I put (c)(0)(9). Do you think it will matter?

It's fine. If you also filed I-131 then the category field on the card might say "C09P":

ED844284-A0F0-4D1C-A5BE-2564B1EA6C51.jpeg

The 3 parentheses are on the I-765 because some categories are like "(c)(3)(A)" https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/information-employers-employees/employer-information/employment-authorization

Edited by HRQX

Timeline
5 hours ago, AGF said:

.. on a different note, we just got that dreaded manual verification Phase at SSA ( purely my bad, I didn’t realize that my I-194 is near its expiration 😪 ) .. we are on the process of gathering docs for our AOS /EAD/AP packet.. on the I-765 form page 2 question 14 ( do you want the SSA to issue you a Social Security Card?), i’m leaning towards a “ no” cause I already tried to apply for one, and just attach a copy of the letter that SSA gave me ( further verification ).. my thought process is that since I a.m applying for an employment authorization, it would be logical to ask for an SSN card.. any thoughts on the matter? Appreciate your Help, as always.. thanks!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
5 hours ago, NicoleM said:

I put (c)(0)(9). Do you think it will matter? c09 is on the I-765 NOA1 letter but they maybe just copied what I put.

Is there any difference between C9 and C09? Maybe I'm overthinking 😂

Hopefully you will be OK. I would encourage you to read and follow either the VJ Guides or the official form instructions, and avoid inserting other digits. Those somewhat strange and obtuse codes are quite specific, just look at the pages of different characterizations and codes in the form instructions. If USCIS wants to put extra digits on their cards or documentation,, that is their prerogative, not yours.

Family-Based Nonimmigrant Categories

1. K-1 Nonimmigrant Fiancé(e) of U.S. Citizen or K-2 Dependent--(a)(6). File Form I-765 along with evidence of your admission (for example, copies of your Form I-94, passport, or other travel document) and your K visa. You are only authorized to work under this category during your 90 days in K-1 or K-2 status. You cannot renew this EAD. If you submit subsequent EAD applications, other than for replacement of a lost, stolen, or damaged card or a card that contains incorrect data, you must apply on a different basis. If you have a pending application for adjustment of status, you should file under category (c)(9).

REF: https://www.uscis.gov/i-765 , Instructions, page 10.

https://www.visajourney.com/guides/adjustment-of-status-tips-k1-k3-visas/ 

There are enough potential pitfalls and delays built into this arcane system, adding more potential problems could be counterproductive .

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.