billding

If unable to get SSN, apply with AOS or apply for ITIN?

11 posts in this topic

We plan on getting married soon after she enters, two weeks after at most.

We plan to go to an SSA right away, a day or two after she arrives. I'm worried that we'll run into problems and won't be able to get her an SSN before we get married.

Is two weeks enough to run around different SSA trying to find one that would issue her an SSN?

If not, should we postpone our wedding? (This doesn't seem wise.)

If push comes to shove and she doesn't get an SSN, should she file for it with the AOS? If she does, can she apply for an ITIN in the meantime?

How long does it take to get an SSN through AOS?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, killbill said:

We plan on getting married soon after she enters, two weeks after at most.

We plan to go to an SSA right away, a day or two after she arrives. I'm worried that we'll run into problems and won't be able to get her an SSN before we get married.  You won't need it to get married.

Is two weeks enough to run around different SSA trying to find one that would issue her an SSN?  My husband went to the SSA the day after POE.  We got married 6 days later.  His SS card arrived in the mail about a month later.  No issues.

If not, should we postpone our wedding? (This doesn't seem wise.)  Why??

If push comes to shove and she doesn't get an SSN, should she file for it with the AOS? If she does, can she apply for an ITIN in the meantime?

How long does it take to get an SSN through AOS?

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

I know we don't need an SSN to get married but she does for everything else: insurance, banks, etc.

My biggest worry is the insurance, the enrollment is only open for a limited time  after marriage and if she doesn't have an SSN, I may not be able to get her on it. 

I know it's possible to do those without an SSN too but it can be difficult. I guess I want a more failproof way, or at least a Plan B, C, D

16 minutes ago, killbill said:

I know we don't need an SSN to get married but she does for everything else: insurance, banks, etc.

My biggest worry is the insurance, the enrollment is only open for a limited time  after marriage and if she doesn't have an SSN, I may not be able to get her on it. 

I know it's possible to do those without an SSN too but it can be difficult. I guess I want a more failproof way, or at least a Plan B, C, D

Are you adding her to an employer-based plan?  Marriage is a qualifying event.  I added my spouse to my plan before his SSN was received.  Once he had his number, we updated it with my employer.  Not an issue at all.

6 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Are you adding her to an employer-based plan?  Marriage is a qualifying event.  I added my spouse to my plan before his SSN was received.  Once he had his number, we updated it with my employer.  Not an issue at all.

Yes, employer based. I talked to HR but they said that she needs a SSN.

Just now, killbill said:

Yes, employer based. I talked to HR but they said that she needs a SSN.

They are incorrect.

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
28 minutes ago, killbill said:

I know and I think it's in the ACA bill or something. I saw someone quote a line on a thread here but I can't find it right now 

4A6783F7-3AFD-4A92-AF58-90665289F1FC.png

13 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

I did it also, I just had to do it via the phone but I was able to add her.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.