Missynick0903

Green card question

19 posts in this topic

My husband just got his visa. We filed a IR-1 spouse visa while we were living in London. His is finally finished, and I’ve been here getting everything set up in the states for a bit now. 

He’s arriving next week. The one form in his visa packet said that it could take up to 6 months for his green card to come. I thought it would be much quicker. Any idea how much they actually take on average???  Or is it really going to be that long!!!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

It's usually about a month or two for the plastic card to arrive.  Don't forget to pay the $220.  

The good news is that his visa upon entering the US and getting stamped becomes a temporary green card (I-551) that is good for one year.  

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi,

I think this also depends on which state you live in. I am in CA and it did take about 118 days for my card to arrive. I hope yours arrives sooner.

Edited by Mrs. DPK
Typo

04/20/17 - Sent I-130 package

04/21/17 - USCIS received I-130 with PD 04/21

04/26/17 - Received hard copy of NOA1

05/26/17 - Sent K-3 package

05/31/17 - USCIS received I-129F with PD 05/31

10/16/17 - I-130 petition approved & notification of I-129F dismissal were issued

10/22/17 - NOA2 sent by E-mail to our lawyer

10/23/17 - Received hard-copies of both notifications (I-130 NOA2 & I-129F dismissal)

11/15/17 - Case was sent to DoS

11/16/17 - Received an e-mail notification of our case being sent to DoS

11/23/17 - NVC received the case (confirmed over the phone on 11/28) Case # not generated yet

12/01/17 - Got the NVC Case # & IIN over the phone

12/05/17 - AoS and IV fees paid Received Welcome letter through e-mail earlier this day.

01/02/18 - NVC packet delivered to/received by NVC

01/05/18 - SD assigned

02/05/18 - CC (First showing "At NVC" on CEAC, then called and confirmed it)

02/13/18 - Received e-mail notification of our CC and it being placed in queue for interview scheduling

02/13/18 - Just got interview date over the phone: 03/20/2018 Operator said that it was scheduled TODAY and that I'd be getting an e-mail with instructions soon

Later on the day I got the e-mail with PDF letter confirming the CC

02/16/18 - Received PDF letter indicating date of interview + instructions CEAC status showing 'In transit'

02/21/18 - CEAC status showing 'Ready'

03/05/18 - Medical exam in Lima, Peru

03/20/18 - Interview date at 10:15 am

03/24/18 - Visa on hand

03/26/18 - Paid the Immigrant Visa Fee

03/28/18 - POE LAX

03/29/18 - Form OS155A ‘Received and in process’

07/13/18 - Status changed to 'Card Is Being Produced' @ the egov.uscis.gov website

07/17/18 - Status changed to 'Card Was Mailed To Me' (this means it was placed in queue to be sent) 

On the myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov site status changed to 'Case Closed Card Is Being Produced Non-DACA'

07/18/18 - Status changed to 'Card Was Picked Up By The USPS' Tracking No. was provided

07/20/18 - Card received 114 after POE 

5 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

It's usually about a month or two for the plastic card to arrive.  Don't forget to pay the $220.  

The good news is that his visa upon entering the US and getting stamped becomes a temporary green card (I-551) that is good for one year.  

Where will he pay that?? Or is it before he comes??

with the temporary one in his passport....can he start work with that one??

Timeline
Just now, Missynick0903 said:

Where will he pay that?? Or is it before he comes??

with the temporary one in his passport....can he start work with that one??

https://www.uscis.gov/tools/how-do-i-guides/how-do-i-pay-uscis-immigrant-fee

Yes, he can start working using the I-551 in his passport.  He will also need to have a Social Security Number.  That can take 1-2 months to arrive.

11 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

https://www.uscis.gov/tools/how-do-i-guides/how-do-i-pay-uscis-immigrant-fee

Yes, he can start working using the I-551 in his passport.  He will also need to have a Social Security Number.  That can take 1-2 months to arrive.

Oh that’s amazing. I’ll have a look at that link. 

He was here before on a fiancé visa in 2015 when we first got married and got his first green card and SSN back then. Then we moved to London for a couple years in 2017. I’m assuming it’ll be the same ssn that he had before....I don’t think that changes right?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Missynick0903 said:

Oh that’s amazing. I’ll have a look at that link. 

He was here before on a fiancé visa in 2015 when we first got married and got his first green card and SSN back then. Then we moved to London for a couple years in 2017. I’m assuming it’ll be the same ssn that he had before....I don’t think that changes right?

SSN are for life.  He will use the same SSN.

36 minutes ago, Mrs. DPK said:

Hi,

I think this also depends on which state you live in. I am in CA and it did take about 118 days for my card to arrive. I hope yours arrives sooner.

Oh ok. We’re in Nevada. I’m trying to remember how long it took his the last time... we got married in June, and then he had to send in his green card paperwork after we got married....so I’m assuming he sent it around end of July/early August....and I think he got his green card around Octoberish of that year. But I can’t seem to remember. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Missynick0903 said:

Oh ok. We’re in Nevada. I’m trying to remember how long it took his the last time... we got married in June, and then he had to send in his green card paperwork after we got married....so I’m assuming he sent it around end of July/early August....and I think he got his green card around Octoberish of that year. But I can’t seem to remember. 

How long until the SSN comes in the mail?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Missynick0903 said:

This time it's not the same. The minute he goes through immigration at the airport he is a permanent resident (green card holder). They stamp his passport I-551 and that is what he shows to start work, or get a driver license, or return to the US from a trip abroad until they get around to mailing the card for his wallet. 

1 minute ago, Wuozopo said:

This time it's not the same. The minute he goes through immigration at the airport he is a permanent resident (green card holder). They stamp his passport I-551 and that is what he shows to start work, or get a driver license, or return to the US from a trip abroad until they get around to mailing the card for his wallet. 

This is great news. We’re both teachers and he has a job lined up at the school connected with mine. 

But first he has to register with the Nevada dept of education. So I wasn’t sure if they’d need the actual green card in order to start his teaching license paperwork through the state, or if he’ll be able to do it with the I-551. i guess we’ll find out once he’s here next week. 

hopefully they’ll be able to use his I-551 and then he can update it when the plastic green card comes. Especially since he already has his ssn. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Missynick0903 said:

This is great news. We’re both teachers and he has a job lined up at the school connected with mine. 

But first he has to register with the Nevada dept of education. So I wasn’t sure if they’d need the actual green card in order to start his teaching license paperwork through the state, or if he’ll be able to do it with the I-551. i guess we’ll find out once he’s here next week. 

hopefully they’ll be able to use his I-551 and then he can update it when the plastic green card comes. Especially since he already has his ssn. 

Show them this page from USCIS if they don't understand. https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/temporary-i-551-stamps-and-mrivs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband arrived in the US on a CR-1 August 19.  His SS card arrived a week later.  He's still waiting for the green card.  I called USCIS a few weeks ago to make sure they had our correct address and they said it can take up to 4 months, and if it has not arrived after that to call back.  It will make things easier once it arrives because he has had some people (DMV, bank) look at the entry stamp on his visa and say it is not a green card or an I-551 stamp, so we have had to educate them that it is the same.  Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.