Keem12

Credit card

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
43 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

As above or you can get her starter with a secured credit card. 

1 hour ago, p-ana said:

If it’s an authorized user on one of yours, yes. 

Thanks! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
14 hours ago, Keem12 said:

Thanks! 

Piggybacking off what the above users said - go with the authorized user option instead of a secured card. That way, the authorized user can "adopt" your credit score, which is good assuming your score is adequate. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Kürbis&Tannenbaum said:

Piggybacking off what the above users said - go with the authorized user option instead of a secured card. That way, the authorized user can "adopt" your credit score, which is good assuming your score is adequate. 

I did both and it has worked out great with both for me. 

Timeline
7 hours ago, Georgia16 said:

I did both and it has worked out great with both for me. 

I'm curious how that worked - you did both at the same time, or one after the other? How did this change your credit score? (i.e. was it better to do both vs. just one, in your opinion)

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Kürbis&Tannenbaum said:

I'm curious how that worked - you did both at the same time, or one after the other? How did this change your credit score? (i.e. was it better to do both vs. just one, in your opinion)

Yes did both at once and after 6 months i Got a letter they the gave me a regular credit card instead and my credit was excellent And I got the refund of the secured card back also. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Georgia16 said:

Yes did both at once and after 6 months i Got a letter they the gave me a regular credit card instead and my credit was excellent And I got the refund of the secured card back also. 

How long it takes for immigrants to get a credit? If I apply for my to get 1, how long would it take?

1 hour ago, Georgia16 said:

1 hour ago, Kürbis&Tannenbaum said:

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Keem12 said:

How long it takes for immigrants to get a credit? If I apply for my to get 1, how long would it take?

Took me 6 months to see a score online and start getting reports. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Keem12 said:

It takes 1-2 weeks to apply and physically get the credit card, then 6 months to get a credit score like mentioned above.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

I will try get a capital 1 card for my wife. I heard it's same day-2weeks but they start off persons with 200bucks. I think that's good for her, for now.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Kürbis&Tannenbaum said:

It takes 1-2 weeks to apply and physically get the credit card, then 6 months to get a credit score like mentioned above.

Thanks so much!

11 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

Thanks! 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Keem12 said:

I will try get a capital 1 card for my wife. I heard it's same day-2weeks but they start off persons with 200bucks. I think that's good for her, for now.

Just remember she shouldn’t use the whole amount of that per month

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There was another similar topic on this yesterday.

I have the capital one secure credit card as well as added myself onto my spouse's credit card as an authorized user.

This is a good article. https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/finance/how-to-build-credit/

Talks a little bit more on building a credit score, such as keeping your utilization rate low as mentioned above.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.