approval

B1/B2 visa for a child

25 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 11/3/2019 at 8:50 PM, aaron2020 said:

The mother is not absent.  She's available to take the child to the interview.

Having the grandmother take the child when the mother is available seems desperate and the CO will wonder why the mother didn't take him.  

Yes, the mother is going to take the child to the interview.

On 11/3/2019 at 11:34 PM, Southern_Belle07 said:

Check SusieQQQ and aaron2020’s response to me first before filing paperwork for b1/b2 visa.

Yes thanks.

On 11/4/2019 at 12:01 AM, SusieQQQ said:

Nothing wrong with her doing the application. But the mother should be the one accompanying the child to the interview, even if the child is traveling without her.

We filled DS-160 and already scheduled an interview for the child. He will enter to the embassy with his mother, but the grandmother will just wait outside in case if they need to talk to her. Even if the embassy doesn't need to talk to the grandmother she will just accompany the mother and the child to the embassy and back home. They better grant a visitor visa to him, otherwise my mother will have to file family-preference immigrant application for her daughter which usually takes 5-6 years to get a visa. The embassies are leaving us with no choice but apply for immigrant visas, which we don't actually need. But due to the fact that family members need to visit each other we have to apply for the immigrant visas, otherwise they can't visit us here in the US.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Immigrant visa is for immigrating not visiting.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Immigrant visa is for immigrating not visiting.

Yes, that is what I mean. By denying non-immigrant visas the embassies are forcing us to apply for immigrant visas which we don't need. I am saying if they deny visitor's visa to the child then as the last resort we will have to submit family-preference immigrant visa for my sister on behalf of my mother, which usually takes 5-6 years for the PDs to become current. The most convenient option for lot of us (our relatives) would have been visitor visas, but unfortunately the embassies are tough these days granting visitors' visas to prospective (real) visitor's with genuine intentions of coming back to their home countries. Unfortunately there are lot of "visitors" that take advantage of the non-immigrant visas as well. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
5 hours ago, approval said:

They better grant a visitor visa to him, otherwise 

lol

They didn't grant him a visitor visa last time, and they might not do so again.

A visitor visa is a privilege, not a right.  

Edited by aaron2020

5 hours ago, approval said:

Yes, that is what I mean. By denying non-immigrant visas the embassies are forcing us to apply for immigrant visas which we don't need. I am saying if they deny visitor's visa to the child then as the last resort we will have to submit family-preference immigrant visa for my sister on behalf of my mother, which usually takes 5-6 years for the PDs to become current. The most convenient option for lot of us (our relatives) would have been visitor visas, but unfortunately the embassies are tough these days granting visitors' visas to prospective (real) visitor's with genuine intentions of coming back to their home countries. Unfortunately there are lot of "visitors" that take advantage of the non-immigrant visas as well. 

It sounds like you think green cards can be used as some kind of super tourist visa. They can’t. All you’re going to end up doing is proving immigrant intent, maybe get a couple visits out of it in the meantime. Once the green cards are deemed abandoned for failure to maintain residency you’ll be back to square one but with even more concrete evidence for B refusals. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

lol

They didn't grant him a visitor visa last time, and they might not do so again.

A visitor visa is a privilege, not a right.  

We know it is a privilege, however family members have to visit each other from time to time. The ones who are in the US can't travel overseas every year or two. 

3 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

It sounds like you think green cards can be used as some kind of super tourist visa. They can’t. All you’re going to end up doing is proving immigrant intent, maybe get a couple visits out of it in the meantime. Once the green cards are deemed abandoned for failure to maintain residency you’ll be back to square one but with even more concrete evidence for B refusals. 

No, we don't want greed cards. We just need fricking tourist visa so that some of my family members can visit me and my family from time to time. If my sister ends up getting immigrant visa eventually then of coarse she will have to maintain the residency status here, leaving everything behind back home. When I immigrated to the US I didn't mean I was leaving everyone behind and never see my relatives visit me in the future. Immigrating to the US should also come with joys and celebrations of relatives getting together once a while.

4 minutes ago, approval said:

We know it is a privilege, however family members have to visit each other from time to time. The ones who are in the US can't travel overseas every year or two. 

No, we don't want greed cards. We just need fricking tourist visa so that some of my family members can visit me and my family from time to time. If my sister ends up getting immigrant visa eventually then of coarse she will have to maintain the residency status here, leaving everything behind back home. When I immigrated to the US I didn't mean I was leaving everyone behind and never see my relatives visit me in the future. Immigrating to the US should also come with joys and celebrations of relatives getting together once a while.

It seems like an extreme solution rather than meeting at home or in a closer third country (Canada?) from time to time, but of course I understand your frustration. It’s always a shame when one’s countrymen abuse visas to the extent that it makes it difficult for genuine applicants to get visas. I see this in my own country, where literally almost everyone who applied used to get tourist visas no problem, but now it’s getting more difficult as overstays have been rising. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

It seems like an extreme solution rather than meeting at home or in a closer third country (Canada?) from time to time, but of course I understand your frustration. It’s always a shame when one’s countrymen abuse visas to the extent that it makes it difficult for genuine applicants to get visas. I see this in my own country, where literally almost everyone who applied used to get tourist visas no problem, but now it’s getting more difficult as overstays have been rising. 

Canada? We can't meet in Canada and spend weeks there. Even if we could I don't think it is going to be that easy for third world country citizens to get tourist visas to Canada.  I don't have much knowledge about Canada's immigration, so I can't really say anything concrete about them. Meeting in the US and spending about a month together is the best place and situation for us. Any other option is out of our hands, other than immigrating to the us, which is not our intention. Thank you for your suggestions though. Hopefully the embassy will grant the child a visitor's visa, otherwise we will have to go with the immigration option later. 

11 minutes ago, approval said:

Canada? We can't meet in Canada and spend weeks there. Even if we could I don't think it is going to be that easy for third world country citizens to get tourist visas to Canada.  I don't have much knowledge about Canada's immigration, so I can't really say anything concrete about them. Meeting in the US and spending about a month together is the best place and situation for us. Any other option is out of our hands, other than immigrating to the us, which is not our intention. Thank you for your suggestions though. Hopefully the embassy will grant the child a visitor's visa, otherwise we will have to go with the immigration option later. 

It seems a bit odd to expect people to get visas to the US if you don’t think they would be getting visas to Canada etc too?! Unfortunately immigrating somewhere does not somehow improve the rights of your family members outside, and in a country like the US where just your presence is now an added tie to the US rather than home, actually makes it more difficult. Anyway yes hopefully the kid gets a visa to visit, that will be something at least. And maybe the mom can show better ties to home in future that can help her with a future application. One denial doesn’t mean she will forever be denied. Good luck. 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

I still remember when we were messing with immigration 30 years ago and I was in the Houston office for some reason. Some lady had inlaws who were from India and had green cards. But they claimed they had to go home to resolve an estate which supposedly took years. the officer patiently explained that their green cards would likely be cancelled upon reentry(they were gone two years) and subsequently they would have to get tourist visas. If they became citizens of course no probl

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.