ahiann8

i864 Income Tax Information (Excluded Income)

8 posts in this topic

I searched on the forums here and it seemed like I was finding different answers.
Living in a foreign country I make less than $100,000 and my situation is simple, so my income is excluded.
On the i-864 form, Part 6, it asks for my total income (adjusted gross income on form 1040EZ) for the last 3 years.
I didn't do 1040EZ, I did 1040. I don't want to do anything incorrectly.
Should I enter my foreign earned income, or $0.00

On my 1040 form (generated by Turbo Tax), my adjusted gross income was $0 due to the foreign income exclusion.
So I would imagine I enter $0.00 - and part of me thinks it's silly to even be asking this question!
But strictly speaking, I did 1040 not 1040EZ.

Here are some images to help explain if needed, thanks.
https://i.imgur.com/lkjYj5H.png - item blocked out in RED is income

https://i.imgur.com/D48RFju.png

Edited by ahiann8

Let's see how long this DCF CR-1 takes! 😀
2019-05-22  I-130 Filed
2019-05-28  NOA1

2019-08-12  NOA2

2019-08-23  :  Packet 3 😎

3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Is your foreign income going to continue?

No but I don't think that matters (please look at the image below):
D48RFju.png
This is old tax data, so, those years are finished.
But I want to understand if I am correct in entering $0.00 for these years.

But if you are referring to this:
a8gQQVz.png

Yes... I have added my current, foreign based income that will stop shortly after the interview.
I could see no indication in the 1864 instructions to not include foreign income, so I have added mine.

2019-05-22  I-130 Filed
2019-05-28  NOA1

2019-08-12  NOA2

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

It does matter if your foreign income would continue or not after you return to the US. 

If your foreign income would continue after you return to the US, then you can use it to meet the I-864 requirements.

If your foreign income would stop upon your return to the US, then you can not use it for the I-864.  

Sorry... I'm not asking about whether or not I can use it to sponsor someone - my income is not enough and I am using assets.
Nevertheless, I want to fill out the i864 correctly.
This field (https://i.imgur.com/a8gQQVz.png) (more specifically - Part 6 item 7) doesn't look optional, so I want to make sure I enter it correctly :)
Either my current foreign income, or $0.00.

Plus, I am still confused about the tax year income I mentioned earlier.

I really appreciate the help everyone, thank you.

Edited by ahiann8

2019-05-22  I-130 Filed
2019-05-28  NOA1

2019-08-12  NOA2

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The question about current income is the current income you will be using to qualify. You can't use any of your current income to qualify because it will not continue, so all your income figures will be zero.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
5 hours ago, ahiann8 said:

No but I don't think that matters (please look at the image below):
D48RFju.png
This is old tax data, so, those years are finished.
But I want to understand if I am correct in entering $0.00 for these years.

This question is simply asking you to copy a figure exactly from 3 tax returns.  

Just copy the number from Total Income

• Line 22 of your 2017 return and earlier. 
  • Line 6 of your 2018 and forward

Get Adjusted Gross Income out of your head. That only applies to those who did the EZ form, which you didn't. Take out the parenthetical statement. 

My total income as reported on my Federal income tax returns for the most recent three years was: 

YES you did it correctly.

Edited by Wuozopo

18 hours ago, pushbrk said:

The question about current income is the current income you will be using to qualify. You can't use any of your current income to qualify because it will not continue, so all your income figures will be zero.

15 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

YES you did it correctly.

Thank you very much the both of you.

2019-05-22  I-130 Filed
2019-05-28  NOA1

2019-08-12  NOA2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.