DeeJF

AOS Interview - Missing File ?!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi everyone,

We had our green card interview yesterday, which was very exciting! Our officer was calm and kind, but told us from the start he wouldn't be able to approve us on the spot because there was a document missing. The document isn't anything from us, but something internal he was waiting on. He mentioned he had a few other cases before ours that had the same document missing and that he "requested" ours. He said it could be 2 weeks to 120 days (!!!!!!!!!) for the document to come to him and there is nothing we can do/no way to check it except to keep checking our case status and see if it changes from pending. 

Apart from that, he told us we were "unofficially approved" because everything we had/said was great - just missing that internal doc. We left with such mixed feelings because YAY we're approved! But also I have zero confidence that whatever document that is is going to turn up! I have a bad feeling it's a long road ahead. We all know how slow all the internal stuff can be. 

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Is this normal/common? He never said the name of the document, but mentioned something about I-129F and the medical. 

Normal.

If its I129F/K1 related, they will contact the embassy.

If it's medical related, they will look in your Afile for it or track it with CBP.

Very normal.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
On 10/19/2019 at 10:55 AM, DeeJF said:

Hi everyone,

We had our green card interview yesterday, which was very exciting! Our officer was calm and kind, but told us from the start he wouldn't be able to approve us on the spot because there was a document missing. The document isn't anything from us, but something internal he was waiting on. He mentioned he had a few other cases before ours that had the same document missing and that he "requested" ours. He said it could be 2 weeks to 120 days (!!!!!!!!!) for the document to come to him and there is nothing we can do/no way to check it except to keep checking our case status and see if it changes from pending. 

Apart from that, he told us we were "unofficially approved" because everything we had/said was great - just missing that internal doc. We left with such mixed feelings because YAY we're approved! But also I have zero confidence that whatever document that is is going to turn up! I have a bad feeling it's a long road ahead. We all know how slow all the internal stuff can be. 

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Is this normal/common? He never said the name of the document, but mentioned something about I-129F and the medical. 

Hi

I had a similar experience.

They were missing half of my K1 folder and my medical. So the IO needed to request that. It took 3 weeks after the interview to being approved. The 120 days is their legal limit and hopefully u don't need to wait that long. Just as example the IO told us that it would take a week to get the missing papers....

Also unfortunately verbal/unofficial approval means nothing. In my case if they would not be able to find my medical they would have issued a RFE for a new medical which could have delayed my case longer.... Your GC will have a later approval date, not the date you had your interview on.

I'm still waiting, similar situation except that my whole K1 documents were missing. IO told us the similar thing: it would take about a week or so, but now it has been 2 months and nothing comes back, and my case still shows Interview Was Schedule lol.

But good to know that their maximum processing window is 2 weeks to 4 months, we are half way now :ph34r:

Edited by Vicolas

I-485/765/131:

06/01/2018 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP through UPS, received NOA1 on 6/11. Received bio appointment on 6/15 and completed on scheduled date 6/29.

07/06/2018 - Submitted EAD expedite request with job offer, reason was financial loss. Received EAD/AP combo card on 08/04. AOS changed to 'Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview' on 7/24.

07/23/2019 - AOS interview was scheduled on 8/27. In the interview USCIS can't make decision because original K1 file got split up somewhere.

11/25/2019 - AOS got approved, received the actual card in mail on 12/2.

I-751:

09/05/2021 - Sent ROC through FedEx, delivered on 9/7, received message e-notification on 9/9 stated case was received, check is cashed on 9/10, NOA1 in mailbox on 9/13.

10/28/2021 - Fingerprints have been taken (Reuse).

01/17/2023 -  Case was transferred To Another Office

01/26/2023 - Case Was Approved

N-400:

08/28/2022 - Submitted N-400 online, NOA1 on 08/29/2022, with estimate time 10 months for decision. Biometrics is reused.

11/23/2022 - Interview was scheduled on 1/11/2023, it was a combo interview for I751/N400. Both cases were verbally approved. System hasn't been updated yet. 

01/26/2023 - Form N-400 recommended to be approved --> Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled

02/06/2023 -  Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed, Oath on 2/22

02/22/2023 - Oath Ceremony, applied passport the same day, with estimated receiving date in middle of May. ALL DONE!!

Timeline
2 hours ago, ineedadisplayname said:

Hi

I had a similar experience.

They were missing half of my K1 folder and my medical. So the IO needed to request that. It took 3 weeks after the interview to being approved. The 120 days is their legal limit and hopefully u don't need to wait that long. Just as example the IO told us that it would take a week to get the missing papers....

Also unfortunately verbal/unofficial approval means nothing. In my case if they would not be able to find my medical they would have issued a RFE for a new medical which could have delayed my case longer.... Your GC will have a later approval date, not the date you had your interview on.

We are both WELL aware that the verbal approval means nothing, hence the uneasiness! Hopefully ours comes as quickly as yours with no issue! Our IO told us 2 weeks - 120 days. 

Timeline
56 minutes ago, Vicolas said:

I'm still waiting, similar situation except that my whole K1 documents were missing. IO told us the similar thing: it would take about a week or so, but now it has been 2 months and nothing comes back, and my case still shows Interview Was Schedule lol.

But good to know that their maximum processing window is 2 weeks to 4 months, we are half way now :ph34r:

Ugh Sorry to hear this! Not encouraging! Fingers crossed something comes your way any day now! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.