Wfeliciano12

Health Insurance Options - Alternatives that wont be marked as "Public Charge"

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Greetings Everyone,

We are currently doing the AOS process and like everyone else, have been listening to the changes being implemented by the current administration, specifically the "public charge/health insurance" news.

My now wife was visiting me here in the states with a Tourist Visa and I decided when she was here that I did not want to be apart from her any longer. Long story short, I proposed, she said yes, we got married after a couple of months (she overstayed her visa), and then we proceeded to submit the AOS paperwork. I know if it the documents filing came prior to October 15th, technically we will not have to provide proof of health insurance, yet we would like to be covered in case "something happens".

Now to the specifics, when we got married I thought I would be able to add her to my health insurance. Unfortunately, that proved to be a dead-end. We would need to take $700 from my paycheck (only income) every month to get healthcare through my healthcare plan. She is in good condition, no preexisting diseases, did her medical and everything was fine; basically we are looking insurance to cover a "big event" such as appendix operation, cancer, etc.

What options for getting her healthcare would you recommend? I have heard about short term health insurance, however, I do not know if it is even a real option. 

Thank you guys for your time. Best of wishes and hang in there.

Edited by Wfeliciano12

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Wfeliciano12 said:

Greetings Everyone,

We are currently doing the AOS process and like everyone else, have been listening to the changes being implemented by the current administration, specifically the "public charge/health insurance" news.

My now wife was visiting me here in the states with a Tourist Visa and I decided when she was here that I did not want to be apart from her any longer. Long story short, I proposed, she said yes, we got married after a couple of months (she overstayed her visa), and then we proceeded to submit the AOS paperwork. I know if it the documents filing came prior to October 15th, technically we will not have to provide proof of health insurance, yet we would like to be covered in case "something happens".

Now to the specifics, when we got married I thought I would be able to add her to my health insurance. Unfortunately, that proved to be a dead-end. We would need to take $700 from my paycheck (only income) every month to get healthcare through my healthcare plan. She is in good condition, no preexisting diseases, did her medical and everything was fine; basically we are looking insurance to cover a "big event" such as appendix operation, cancer, etc.

What options for getting her healthcare would you recommend? I have heard about short term health insurance, however, I do not know if it is even a real option. 

We are rolling into open enrollment for purchasing market place coverage.   Sign up for a minimum essential coverage plan.   

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Wfeliciano12 said:

Isn't the market place healthcare plans considered as using government subsidies?

You are not required to take advantage of any premium tax credit 

YMMV

1 hour ago, Wfeliciano12 said:

Greetings Everyone,

1 hour ago, Wfeliciano12 said:

Isn't the market place healthcare plans considered as using government subsidies?

To answer all of your questions: There isn't an easy answer. $700 is a lot, but you may not find many other alternatives that aren't just as expensive. The most common way to cover a spouse is via your own workplace plan.

Your other alternatives can be: private plan purchased via any insurer that offers in the state.

Or you can use the marketplace (state if you have one, or federal). These are not means tested benefits and immigrants are eligible to use it, many of the plans are virtually the same as you can buy privately.  The new rules coming into place demand the immigrant not utilize the ACA's premium tax credit or subsidy, however there has been no actual changes to the ACA's law to this effect. You must however follow the guidance of the new policy however, though lawsuits will begin. You however have a unique obstacle since you have AOSed from the VWP or tourist visa. I will assume that you have an NOA1 for your AOS, and that is good, however you will likely lack many of the eligibility requirements and further documents a government program, like the marketplace would require from a regular immigrant. I would assume your spouse also hasn't got an SSN, and while that isn't a problem normally (an SSN isn't required to obtain health insurance - they will want it from you eventually) or have applied for or received an EAD? Your last obstacle is the fact the ACA is not currently in open enrollment (next month). Now this typically isn't a problem for other immigrants, because of their status, if they haven't waited too long, grants them the ability to enter the marketplace under special enrollment. You may have missed that window. No harm in trying. Keep in mind you may need to speak to someone on the phone.

Other potential options: short term insurance or those marketed to 'new immigrants'. These are short term plans that aren't ACA compliant, dubious coverage at best, and will not cover pre-existing conditions. I understand why people tend to use them, but I often wonder if the money couldn't be better spent putting it into real plan with proper coverage.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life, from AOS Family K1/K3 - As the OP's question is about health Insurance.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline
13 hours ago, Wfeliciano12 said:

Greetings Everyone,

Before the 2 USCIS public charge implementation injunction were given by 2 federal courts, the USCIS has already clearly stated that if you had filed for AOS prior to October 15, you don’t need to worry about the public charge rule.

Now that the 2 national wide injunctions were put in place by the federal courts, the USCIS cannot implement the public charge rule. At least for now.

To be honest, your fiancé can be enrolled in any ACA healthcare plan if it is cheaper than the $700 cost you have to pay to be on your private company sponsored insurance.

I-130 JOURNEY FOR 2020 Minor Child of LPR (F2A Online Application, MNL Consular Processing)

07/29/20 Online Filing for I-130, Same day Priority date 
07/31/20 Paper NOA1 mailed by USCIS, received on 08/03/20

07/31/20, 08/15/20, 09/01,20 Expedite Requests denied three times (self-submission and congressman outreach)

09/28/20: I-130 Approved by USCIS, received mailed NOA2 on 10/01/20

10/01/20: NVC electronically receives I-130 petition from USCIS, generates NVC case & invoice number, paid all NVC fees same day

10/05/19: CEAC ready for document uploads

TBD: Waiting for NBI Police Clearance to complete all upload of NVC docs

I-130 JOURNEY FOR 2019 Parent of USC (IR-5 Paper Application, MNL Consular Processing)

01/18/19 NOA1 I-130 (Priority Date)

08/02/19 Called USCIS to expedite I-130 after 196 days pending,  emailed expedite evidence 08/06/1,  expedite approved 08/09/19

08/13/19: I-130 Approved by USCIS, USCIS sent petition file to NVC 08/29/19 

09/09/19: NVC receives I-130 petition from USCISgenerates case & invoice number on 10/03/19 (paid all NVC fees same day)

10/07/19: CEAC ready for document uploads (AOS and IV documents uploaded to CEAC same day)

11/25/19: NVC Case Complete, NVC emails interview schedules interview on 12/18/19 for 01/06/20

01/06/20: IR-5 Interview in Manila Philippines embassy (MNL); forgot original signed I-864 resulted in 221GUSEM receives original signed I-864 via 2GO courier on 02/04/20
3/4/20: Immigrant Visa Issued by USEM, 2GO carrier picked up passport from USEM 3/6/20 and delivers to residence on 3/10/20

6/10/20: US POE

6/13/20: SSN card mailed date by SSA, delivered to residence on 6/18/20

7/3/20: LPR Green Card ordered, Production on 7/24/20, Mailed by USCIS on 7/27/20, delivered to residence on 7/29/20

I-130/ I-485 JOURNEY FOR 2019 Parent of USC (IR-5 Paper Application)

01/18/19: NOA1 Received I-130 (priority date, was not concurrently filed with I-485 as we were not sure if we were going to CP or AOS)

06/19/19: USPS receives I-485 package to lockbox (priority date); 06/24/19: Credit card charged ,  USCIS mails out NOA1 06/25/19 with receipt numbers (assigned to MSC National Benefits center),  Received NOA1 from USPS (07/02/19:)

07/05/19:  USCIS mailsout biometrics appointment notice with appointment date for 07/24/19, Received biometrics notice letter from USPS 07/11/19
07/12/19: Walk-in biometrics completed

07/18/19: Called USCIS to expedite EADReceived mailed USCIS instructions on where to fax expedite evidence from USPS 07/26/19 Faxed requested evidence for EAD expedite  07/27/19
07/31/19: USCIS approves EAD I-765 and Advanced Parole I-131, USCIS mails out combo EAD/ AP card 08/02/19, Received combo EAD/ AP card via USPS Priority Mail 08/07/19

08/08/19: I-485 Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview
08/26/19: I-130 Approved (NOA2) by USCIS

12/10/19: FO sends out I-485 interview appointment details for 01/28/20 interview date 

02/06/20: I-485 case approved and NOA2 mailed
02/05/20: Green card ordered, Production and mailed 02/10/20, delivered to residence on 
02/12/20

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.