chlosicles

K1 AOS Interview Checklist

5 posts in this topic

My GC interview is this Wednesday morning, and as expected, I am panicking (probably over nothing) like crazy.

I'll be going to the USCIS Center in Norfolk, VA and my interview is at 8am!!
I was just after some advice to help check if I have everything that is possibly needed?

.My passport + copy
.His passport + copy
.My birth certificate + copy
.His birth certificate + copy

.The letter (obviously)
.Original of my medical vaccination form (I have already sent this in and I had my medical within the one year time frame) + copy
.Originals of ALL my NOAs (even the I-129F) + copies
.My EAD/AP combo card and all documentation relating to that
.My I-94 + copy

Here is what I was planning to take for supporting evidence of marriage:
.Marriage certificate + copy
.Joint Acc statements (we only set it up a couple months ago due to ID issues with the bank)
.Information showing we are each other beneficiaries on bank statements
.Medical insurance cards and screenshots showing we are on the same insurance policy
.Vet bills in both our names (we have two cats together)
.Copies of our drivers licenses with the same address on
.Screenshots showing I am a validated user on two credit cards
.Screenshots showing we share a family cell phone plane (has the entire family on it)
.Gym membership bills
.Photos of us together since my arrival December '18

I am not on any utility bills because my husband owns the house and has done before we even started the K1 process. We contacted the providers and they said I couldn't be on the bills because I am not on the house deed.

I honestly don't know what other information I could bring. Would screenshots of our conversations and phone calls we've had since my arrival help? He calls me twice a day when he's at work and we're constantly messaging each other.

I also wanted to ask: When we sent off the AOS paperwork we also sent off his I-864 and all the information needed for that (all that was asked was for his passport and tax return) so will I need to bring a copy just in case?
I ask because it says about bringing a letter from the employer etc, but my husband is self employed.
Do I really need to take a copy of the entire AOS package I sent off?

Any/All help is appreciated. Thank you :D

Edit to also ask do I need to bring my SSN?

Edited by chlosicles

K1 JOURNEY.
I-129F sent:
31st Jan 2018 | NOA1 Received: 13th Feb 2018 | NOA2 Received: 15th Aug 2018 | At NVC: 4th Sep 2018 | At Embassy: 21st Sep 2018 | Medical: 15th Oct 2018 | Interview: 30th Oct 2018 | K1 Issued: 2nd Nov 2018 | Flight to him<3: 4th Dec 2018 | Wedding<3: 21st Jan 2019

AOS JOURNEY.
AOS sent: 26th Feb 2019 | NOA1 Received: 28th Feb 2019 | Biometrics: 27th March 2019 | EAD/AP: 29th July 2019 | GC Interview: 16th Oct 2019 | GC Approved: 17th Oct 2019 GC Received: 23rd Oct 2019

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
1 hour ago, chlosicles said:

My GC interview is this Wednesday morning, and as expected, I am panicking (probably over nothing) like crazy.

I was just after some advice to help check if I have everything that is possibly needed?

.My passport + copy
.His passport + copy

.The letter (obviously)
.Original of my medical vaccination form (I have already sent this in and I had my medical within the one year time frame) + copy
.My I-94 + copy

.Joint Acc statements (we only set it up a couple months ago due to ID issues with the bank)
.Medical insurance cards and screenshots showing we are on the same insurance policy
.Screenshots showing we share a family cell phone plane (has the entire family on it)
.Gym membership bills

I am not on any utility bills because my husband owns the house and has done before we even started the K1 process. We contacted the providers and they said I couldn't be on the bills because I am not on the house deed.

I honestly don't know what other information I could bring. Would screenshots of our conversations and phone calls we've had since my arrival help? He calls me twice a day when he's at work and we're constantly messaging each other.

I also wanted to ask: When we sent off the AOS paperwork we also sent off his I-864 and all the information needed for that (all that was asked was for his passport and tax return) so will I need to bring a copy just in case?
I ask because it says about bringing a letter from the employer etc, but my husband is self employed.

It seems that you have everything together. I would say bring photos of you guys together. For example: wedding, any vacations you have taken since then, outings with friends, birthday gatherings. I also had friends provide a notarized letter of our relationship. I'm not understanding why you can't be placed on the utility bill. I purchased my home w/o my husband. He was placed on the electric bill after we were married.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

We luckily took those rather cryptic instructions on the ASC appointment letter for the AOS interview very literally. We brought with us the the interview every shred of paper that we had received from USCIS/NVC/DOS, and all original certificates/documents/paperwork that we had amassed thus far in your immigration journey. 

It was a good thing that we did. During the AOS interview, the IO wanted to see the my original divorce decree, claiming that he didn't have a copy of it in his files. I know that I had previously sent a copy of the divorce decree with my initial I-129F visa petition, the prior year. With all of our original, hard to replace documents I had individually placed them in plastic page presentation sleeves, and had made good color laser copies of this documents. So, I was able to show the IO the original and the copy for comparison. I asked him to compare the two, he could keep the copy for their records, and we kept the original. I am pretty certain that helped avert us from getting an RFE for a document, and an associated delay in processing. He could have asked for many of documents or papers. 

HTH, YMMV

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your list looks pretty thorough, we didn't have much in terms of joint names on things since I already had my house, utilities, and so forth established.  One thing you didn't mention (I think?) was photos of your and your spouse with others.  Our agent was MOST interested in all that, and we spent the most time on "who is this?  Who is that? Where was that photo taken?" wanting my K1 wife to know who were our friends and that we were "real".  We brought a bunch of real photos, she said that computer printed paper photos would be just fine (and preferred, since they're easier to handle and put in other paper files).  Good luck!

On 10/10/2019 at 1:34 PM, chlosicles said:

.My passport + copy
.His passport + copy

.The letter (obviously)
.My I-94 + copy

.Gym membership bills

good list

i am thinking of bringing HIPAA forms for my dentist as well as Release of Information forms for the insurance that shows that we are both authorized to get information about the other concerning anything related to our health and dental benefits and claims

RoC sent 10/30/21

NOA 11/16/21

Check Cashed 11/18/21

Biometrics Waived 01/19/2022

Beware the fury of a patient man.- John Dryden

Political attempts to require that others share your personal truths are, in their limit, dictatorships.- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.