9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'm currently filling out the i-131 application for travel document for my wife, which I intend to file in conjunction with the i-485, i-765, and i-864. 

The specific purpose we have for this document is we plan to travel back to China next year and do a "second wedding" there for her family and friends (we'd also just like the ability to travel elsewhere, like Mexico). 

However, I've noticed on Page 4 of USCIS' i-131 instructions for the document, that the allowed purpose for this document appears to be limited to:

"travel abroad temporarily for “urgent humanitarian reasons” or in furtherance of a “significant public benefit,” which may include a personal or family emergency or bona fide business reasons"

Our wedding is a significant family reason, but it's not an "emergency" as stipulated in the USCIS instructions. 

Furthermore, Page 9 of USCIS' i-131 instructions stipulate that:

If you are applying for:

c. Advance Parole Document for Individuals Who Are Currently in the United States

If you are in the United States, you must attach:

1. (1)  A copy of any document issued to you by USCIS showing your present status, if any, in the United States; and

2. (2)  An explanation or other evidence showing the circumstances that warrant issuance of an Advance Parole Document; or

3. (3)  If you are an applicant for adjustment of status, a copy of a USCIS receipt as evidence that you filed the adjustment application

(there are more options in the instructions, but they're not relevant to our case)

We can't produce (1) or (3) because we have nothing from USCIS showing my wife's present status. All we have from the USCIS are the NOA1 and NOA2 from months ago, which do not show my wife's "present status", which is in the US on a K1 visa. We have her I-94, but that's from CBP, not USCIS. 

So it seems the only option remaining for us is (2), a written explanation. Does Page 3 Part 4 Item 1.a on the i-131 form itself satisfy this requirement (that's where they give you 4 blank lines to describe the "purpose of trip"). Or is a lengthier explanation required as an attachment?

I seem to recall earlier threads saying that a lengthier explanation was at one point required in the past, but is no longer required, at least for K1-to-AOS filers. 

Would just like to make sure before we send everything in. 

What part number is your query from?

Did you notice that you stop at the bottom of page 2 and start up again at Part 7?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

What part number is your query from?

Did you notice that you stop at the bottom of page 2 and start up again at Part 7?

The two quotes in my post come from the USCIS website, "Form I-131 Instructions". They're not from the form itself, so there are no "part numbers". 

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

18 minutes ago, Hemutian said:

The two quotes in my post come from the USCIS website, "Form I-131 Instructions". They're not from the form itself, so there are no "part numbers". 

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

Are you trying to answer a question inbetween the bottom of page 2 and the middle of page 4 where part 7 starts?

If so, you dont need to.

What question are you referring to that relates to the form instructions that you have posted?

Timeline
7 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Are you trying to answer a question inbetween the bottom of page 2 and the middle of page 4 where part 7 starts?

If so, you dont need to.

I know that I'm supposed to skip Parts 5 and 6 but I don't see any language permitting me to skip Parts 3 and 4. 

7 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

What question are you referring to that relates to the form instructions that you have posted?

The question that relates to the form instructions I have posted does not really pertain to any particular question on the form. I guess if it did, it would be Part 4 Question 1.a "Purpose of trip". 

My question simply arises from reading the form instructions, which imply that AP is only given to those with family emergencies, not other reasons like weddings or just pleasure travel. 

45 minutes ago, Hemutian said:

My question simply arises from reading the form instructions, which imply that AP is only given to those with family emergencies, not other reasons like weddings or just pleasure travel. 

AP applies to a lot of circumstances. For example, those who have claimed asylum and DACA recipients. In those cases, emergencies are a valid reason to travel. For an I-485 applicant, no specific reason or date is necessary.

There are different requirements for different circumstances.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Do all of us a favor and just follow the VJ filled in example for form I-131, and listen to the advice that you have already been given and stop overthinking everything. What they are telling you has successfully worked for multitudes of VJ forum members.:yes:

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline
1 hour ago, K1visaHopeful said:

If so, you dont need to.

Sorry. It took me a little long but I see what you were trying to tell me now.

I missed the instruction at the bottom of Page 2 telling me to skip to Part 7.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time. If VJ would let me delete this stupid post of mine I would.😳

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.