Jump to content
EmilyTim

Do I have everything?

13 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello! I'm getting married on Sunday, so am currently trying to prepare all the AOS paperwork. There are so many forms! 

I think I've got nearly everything ready - it would be hugely appreciated if anyone could have a quick look below and see if there's anything I'm missing.

I am the beneficiary (UK citizen) on a K1 visa, soon marrying my US citizen fiance. 

 

Do I need a separate cover sheet for the 3 different forms or just 1 covering everything? 

 

3 separate piles of paperwork:

 

1. AOS paperwork, including:

- 2 passport photos taken yesterday

- G-1145

- 18 page Form I-485

- Photocopy of biographic passport page

- Photocopy of K1 visa

- Photocopy of previous student J1 visa (and all other stamps showing US entry/exit)

- Online print-out of I-94 (inc pages which list 'date', 'type', and 'location' of entry/exit)

- Photocopy of UK birth certificate (front and back)

- Photocopy of I-797 NOA (from I-129F)

- Petitioner's I-864, including 2018 tax returns and photocopy of biographic passport page

- Joint sponsor's I-864, including 2018, 2017 and 2016 tax returns and photocopy of biographic passport page

(Certified marriage certificate once we are married)

 

2.  Travel document paperwork, including:

- 2 passport photos 

- G-1145

- 5 page Form I-131

- Photocopy of biographic passport page

- Photocopy of K1 visa

- Online print-out of I-94 (inc pages which list 'date', 'type', and 'location' of entry/exit)

- Photocopy of I-797 NOA (from I-129F)

(Photocopy of certified marriage certificate once we are married)

 

3. Employment authorization paperwork, including:

- 2 passport photos 

- G-1145

- 7 page Form I-765

- Photocopy of biographic passport page

- Photocopy of K1 visa

- Online print-out of I-94 (inc pages which list 'date', 'type', and 'location' of entry/exit)

- Photocopy of I-797 NOA (from I-129F)

(Photocopy of certified marriage certificate once we are married)

 

Can someone explain if a I-130 is also needed? 

 

Thank you in advance for your help!

Emily

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

This form is to get notice that your big packet arrived. Put that on top of the three piles, along with one payment check, and one cover letter telling what's in the envelope.

Thank you, so much! And an I-130 isn't needed? Have a wonderful day :)

14 hours ago, Lil bear said:

I 130 is not needed when adjusting from a K1

Thank you :) What's it for? I keep seeing it pop up in various places!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, EmilyTim said:

Thank you, so much! And an I-130 isn't needed? Have a wonderful day :)

Thank you :) What's it for? I keep seeing it pop up in various places!

I130 is used by a petitioner to demonstrate an approved immediate relative relationship ., such as spouse , parent, child ... so that they can then apply for an immigrant visa or show eligibility to adjust status ... think of it as their equivalent of the fiance I129f.  You already have an approved relationship ... fiancé as documented in the I129f.. so you don’t need to this for the AOS. When adjusting from a tourist or some other visa types on the basis of being married to a USC or the parent etc of a USC, they have to do this part as well. 

Edited by Lil bear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EmilyTim said:

Thank you, so much! And an I-130 isn't needed? Have a wonderful day :)

In really basic terms:

 

A) Not married >I-129f petition >K1 Fiancé visa 

 

B) Married > I-130 petition > IR1/CR1 Spouse visa

 

You did route A.

There are other uses for the I-130, but none that apply to you since you got the fiance visa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Before you start assembling your "masterpiece," review this helpful USCIS link on filing tips:

 

https://www.uscis.gov/forms-filing-tips . We opted for the two-hole punch at the top of the page and prong fasteners method....

 

How's the weather in Flag?

 

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lil bear said:

I130 is used by a petitioner to demonstrate an approved immediate relative relationship ., such as spouse , parent, child ... so that they can then apply for an immigrant visa or show eligibility to adjust status ... think of it as their equivalent of the fiance I129f.  You already have an approved relationship ... fiancé as documented in the I129f.. so you don’t need to this for the AOS. When adjusting from a tourist or some other visa types on the basis of being married to a USC or the parent etc of a USC, they have to do this part as well. 

Thanks for the explanation :) 

5 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

In really basic terms:

 

A) Not married >I-129f petition >K1 Fiancé visa 

 

B) Married > I-130 petition > IR1/CR1 Spouse visa

 

You did route A.

There are other uses for the I-130, but none that apply to you since you got the fiance visa.

Thanks for the easy to understand explanation :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Pitaya said:

Before you start assembling your "masterpiece," review this helpful USCIS link on filing tips:

 

https://www.uscis.gov/forms-filing-tips . We opted for the two-hole punch at the top of the page and prong fasteners method....

 

How's the weather in Flag?

 

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Great - I'll check it out right now! Thank you for the advice :)

The weather is wonderful in Flag right now. Strong hints of autumn, a nice chill in the breeze, but still feels a little summery!

Hope your journey is going well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EmilyTim said:

Great - I'll check it out right now! Thank you for the advice :)

The weather is wonderful in Flag right now. Strong hints of autumn, a nice chill in the breeze, but still feels a little summery!

Hope your journey is going well!

My wife and I were in Flag 2 years ago, checking out the area, South Rim, San Francisco Peaks, Painted Desert. We were visiting another VJ couple that we met on the forum who lived in PHX, but have subsequently moved to Overgaard, AZ. Thinking about doing another "red rock" vacation next year, check out their new abode. This past summer we cruised around the Canadian Rockies, Lake Louise, Banff, Glacier, Yellowstone... We are all fortunate to live in such a beautiful country !!

 

Don't despair with the prolonged USCIS processing times, it will all be worth it in the end.


Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...