13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello! I'm getting married on Sunday, so am currently trying to prepare all the AOS paperwork. There are so many forms! 

I think I've got nearly everything ready - it would be hugely appreciated if anyone could have a quick look below and see if there's anything I'm missing.

I am the beneficiary (UK citizen) on a K1 visa, soon marrying my US citizen fiance. 

Do I need a separate cover sheet for the 3 different forms or just 1 covering everything? 

3 separate piles of paperwork:

1. AOS paperwork, including:

- 2 passport photos taken yesterday

- G-1145

- 18 page Form I-485

- Photocopy of biographic passport page

- Photocopy of K1 visa

- Photocopy of previous student J1 visa (and all other stamps showing US entry/exit)

- Online print-out of I-94 (inc pages which list 'date', 'type', and 'location' of entry/exit)

- Photocopy of UK birth certificate (front and back)

- Photocopy of I-797 NOA (from I-129F)

- Petitioner's I-864, including 2018 tax returns and photocopy of biographic passport page

- Joint sponsor's I-864, including 2018, 2017 and 2016 tax returns and photocopy of biographic passport page

(Certified marriage certificate once we are married)

2.  Travel document paperwork, including:

- 2 passport photos 

- G-1145

- 5 page Form I-131

- Photocopy of K1 visa

- Online print-out of I-94 (inc pages which list 'date', 'type', and 'location' of entry/exit)

(Photocopy of certified marriage certificate once we are married)

3. Employment authorization paperwork, including:

- 2 passport photos 

- G-1145

- 7 page Form I-765

- Photocopy of K1 visa

Can someone explain if a I-130 is also needed? 

Thank you in advance for your help!

Emily

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
12 hours ago, EmilyTim said:

G-1145

This form is to get notice that your big packet arrived. Put that on top of the three piles, along with one payment check, and one cover letter telling what's in the envelope.

Timeline
12 hours ago, EmilyTim said:

- G-1145

The above are not needed in EAD or AP pile.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

This form is to get notice that your big packet arrived. Put that on top of the three piles, along with one payment check, and one cover letter telling what's in the envelope.

Thank you, so much! And an I-130 isn't needed? Have a wonderful day :)

14 hours ago, Lil bear said:

I 130 is not needed when adjusting from a K1

Thank you :) What's it for? I keep seeing it pop up in various places!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
13 minutes ago, EmilyTim said:

Thank you :) What's it for? I keep seeing it pop up in various places!

I130 is used by a petitioner to demonstrate an approved immediate relative relationship ., such as spouse , parent, child ... so that they can then apply for an immigrant visa or show eligibility to adjust status ... think of it as their equivalent of the fiance I129f.  You already have an approved relationship ... fiancé as documented in the I129f.. so you don’t need to this for the AOS. When adjusting from a tourist or some other visa types on the basis of being married to a USC or the parent etc of a USC, they have to do this part as well. 

Edited by Lil bear

Timeline
2 hours ago, EmilyTim said:

In really basic terms:

A) Not married >I-129f petition >K1 Fiancé visa 

B) Married > I-130 petition > IR1/CR1 Spouse visa

You did route A.

There are other uses for the I-130, but none that apply to you since you got the fiance visa.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Before you start assembling your "masterpiece," review this helpful USCIS link on filing tips:

https://www.uscis.gov/forms-filing-tips . We opted for the two-hole punch at the top of the page and prong fasteners method....

How's the weather in Flag?

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline
8 hours ago, Lil bear said:

I130 is used by a petitioner to demonstrate an approved immediate relative relationship ., such as spouse , parent, child ... so that they can then apply for an immigrant visa or show eligibility to adjust status ... think of it as their equivalent of the fiance I129f.  You already have an approved relationship ... fiancé as documented in the I129f.. so you don’t need to this for the AOS. When adjusting from a tourist or some other visa types on the basis of being married to a USC or the parent etc of a USC, they have to do this part as well. 

Thanks for the explanation :) 

5 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

In really basic terms:

A) Not married >I-129f petition >K1 Fiancé visa 

B) Married > I-130 petition > IR1/CR1 Spouse visa

You did route A.

There are other uses for the I-130, but none that apply to you since you got the fiance visa.

Thanks for the easy to understand explanation :) 

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Pitaya said:

Before you start assembling your "masterpiece," review this helpful USCIS link on filing tips:

https://www.uscis.gov/forms-filing-tips . We opted for the two-hole punch at the top of the page and prong fasteners method....

How's the weather in Flag?

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Great - I'll check it out right now! Thank you for the advice :)

The weather is wonderful in Flag right now. Strong hints of autumn, a nice chill in the breeze, but still feels a little summery!

Hope your journey is going well!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
3 minutes ago, EmilyTim said:

Great - I'll check it out right now! Thank you for the advice :)

The weather is wonderful in Flag right now. Strong hints of autumn, a nice chill in the breeze, but still feels a little summery!

Hope your journey is going well!

My wife and I were in Flag 2 years ago, checking out the area, South Rim, San Francisco Peaks, Painted Desert. We were visiting another VJ couple that we met on the forum who lived in PHX, but have subsequently moved to Overgaard, AZ. Thinking about doing another "red rock" vacation next year, check out their new abode. This past summer we cruised around the Canadian Rockies, Lake Louise, Banff, Glacier, Yellowstone... We are all fortunate to live in such a beautiful country !!

Don't despair with the prolonged USCIS processing times, it will all be worth it in the end.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.