Seraya-Karl

Proof of citizenship under Child Citizenship Act-2000

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My grandson just entered the US (Saturday) under an IR-2 immigration visa, his father being a US citizen.  My grandson is 17 years old and qualifies under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.  

Questions:
1) Does he need to complete some other process to be a US citizen or his now a citizen?
2) Can he apply for a US passport now using only is visa?
3) He, his grandmother and I are going back to Colombia December 24 for a short vacation. Can he travel outside the US on his Colombian passport or will he have to have his US passport to re-enter the US? His immigration visa expires in February 2020.

Karl / Saraya

12 minutes ago, Seraya-Karl said:

My grandson just entered the US (Saturday) under an IR-2 immigration visa, his father being a US citizen.  My grandson is 17 years old and qualifies under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.  

Questions:
1) Does he need to complete some other process to be a US citizen or his now a citizen?
2) Can he apply for a US passport now using only is visa?
3) He, his grandmother and I are going back to Colombia December 24 for a short vacation. Can he travel outside the US on his Colombian passport or will he have to have his US passport to re-enter the US? His immigration visa expires in February 2020.

1) If he qualifies, he's a citizen now. 

2) Yes, and probably a copy of this father's passport or something that proves his father is a citizen and a copy of his birth certificate that proves he's his father's son and his age. 

3) He needs his US passport to leave (leaving not much of a problem, since US doesn't do exit immigration) and enter the US as a US citizen. He cannot use his Colombian passport to enter the US. 

Timeline

Thank you for your reply.

Another question: He will need to register for selective service soon and will need a social security number.  Will he be getting a social security number automatically or does he have apply?

Karl / Saraya

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 hour ago, Seraya-Karl said:

Thank you for your reply.

Another question: He will need to register for selective service soon and will need a social security number.  Will he be getting a social security number automatically or does he have apply?

Depends. Did he already check “yes” to be automatically assigned a SSN when he or whoever else filled out his DS260? If yes then he’ll receive his SS card in the mail. If no he can go down to the social security administration office 

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The reason he cannot enter the US Again on his Colombian passport is that the IR2 visa is a single entry visa.  While the stamp serves as a temporary green card for those who gain LPR status upon entry, he will not get a Green Card.  He just needs to apply for his passport.  The local post office that handles passport applications can help you through it.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thank you about 'local post' office. I was worried that they would never have heard about the Child Citizen Act.  I'll go there tomorrow.

Karl / Saraya

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to General Immigration-Related Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

As I feared the local post office passport person never heard of Child Citizens Act of 2000 and told me to call 1-877-487.2778 about applying for my grandson. Of course, they only had a recorded messages at that number which didn't come close to answering my questions.

Is their anyone who has gone through this process? 

The two questions that worry me most:

1) What will they accept as "proof of admission to the United States for permanent residence". the Colombia passport of my grandson with his IR2 immigrant visa or will a photo copy of the visa be sufficient?

2) What kind of proof can we provide that he is living with his father?  Would an affidavit of both of them be sufficient? They are living at my house would an affidavit by me be useful/sufficient?

Of course, I don't know what I don't know and I am probably missing other questions.

Karl / Saraya

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

As I feared, neither of the two local post offices had any idea of what the Child Citizen Act of 2000 was about. The responsibility was entirely up to me to provide the right things. I went to the post office appoint with my grandson and his father even though I am not sure his father was needed because my grandson is 17. 

The lady at the post office wanted to give us back the father’s passport but that was required to be sent in because they wanted proof of the father’s citizenship. She also asked for identification for my grandson even thought she had his Colombian passport.  He happened to have is student identification with him, and she was happy with that.

I paid for expedited processing and mailing, and we got my grandson’s passport in 10 days! 

Here’s what I send in with the passport application (Juan is my grandson and Joseph is my stepson):

1.       Passport application

2.       Passport photos

3.       US Passport of Joseph, Father

4.       Birth certificates of Juan, applicant

a.       Original certified birth certificate with misspelling of mother’s name

b.       Newest certified birth certificate with correction for misspelling of mother’s name

5.       Translations of birth certificates of Juan with affidavit of translator

6.       Passport of Juan, applicant, with IR2 immigration visa

7.       Affidavits (4: Juan, Joseph, his grandmother and myself) of residence of Juan living with his father, Joseph

8.       Affidavit of Juan that he does not have a social security number

9.       Photo copy of Joseph’s identification, (father’s passport)

10.   Photo copy of Juan’s identification, (his Colombian passport and immigration visa)

11.   Fees for expedited application

Your situation might be different. The father was a naturalized citizen and the passport application just asked for proof of his citizenship. We send in the passport instead of the certificate of citizenship which would cost $550 for a replacement. When my stepdaughter sent in her certificated of citizenship for her passport, they lost it!  We haven’t got back my stepson’s US passport nor my grandson’s Colombian passport yet, but there was a note to the effect that “you may receive your newly issued passport and your returned citizenship evidence in two separate mailings”.  

They did not ask for a marriage certificate at any point during the I-130 process.  The interview at the embassy did ask for a certified birth certificate of the father but that may have just been a mistake and the passport application didn’t ask for it. They send out form email requests for information which may not be appropriate for your case. The embassy email asked for an I-864 but when he got to the interview, they really wanted an I-864w. They allowed us to email it in. Since his father speaks English, he filled it out, and we didn’t have to have a certificate of translation.

Hope some of this helps.

Karl / Saraya

Filed: Timeline

@Seraya-Karl  Are you also going to get the certificate? I know its an additional fee and process. Ive seen on VJ mention that the passport is better and the certificate is not necessarily needed. However Ive seen some posts online about how certain security clearance type jobs require a certificate and not just the passport. Because your grandson is so young who knows what his future career path may hold. You may want to invest in the certificate for him as well as you never know. Probably best to do it now while you have all the docs available. Just my 2 cents. Glad you were able to get the passport!

Timeline

No, we wouldn't get the certificate.  His only proof that he is a citizen is his passport and we don't want to send that in as he'll be needing that in December for a trip that he is making back to Colombia.  If and when he needs a certificate, he can pay the $550 or what ever the cost will be at that time.

Karl / Saraya

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.