1,332 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, I have some sort of a strange situation:

Currently my spousal application category is F2A and I have been document qualified since October 2022 (PD: Sept 2021). I am an Indian citizen and Canadian PR.

Now, my wife has her US Citizenship oath scheduled this month and I have my Canadian citizenship oath scheduled around same time. So I am expecting following instances to happen in about 2-3 months:

1. My wife will submit a form to change our spousal application from F2A to IR1. (not sure how long that will take with MTL embassy) - May need some guidance from experts in the group on how to do it and if there anything I have to avoid.
  2. I have to decide if I can take the Canadian citizenship or not as I do have an option to reschedule the oath.
    If I take the Canadian citizenship oath, then I need to know what changes I have to make in my US Spousal application and what could be the consequences (positive or negative). Of Couse this is beside the fact that I have to apply for Canadian passport which will take about a month to come. - I read somewhere that if do change my citizenship while I am waiting for the IL, I have to notify NVC which will trigger the DQ cycle again and other option is to wait for IL once my application category changes from F2A to IR1 and reach out to MTL embassy and request them to open DS-260 form so I can make changes in my citizenship status.
  3. Given that I make the right choices what are the timeline I am looking for to reunite with my wife as it has been almost 2 years and my priority is to do that in a quickest Legal way, LOL.

If any of the expert can offer their wisdom I would greatly appreciate.

@Blueeyes1989     @ks7608   @Har123

Edited by dhruvroom

3 minutes ago, dhruvroom said:

Currently my spousal application category is F2A and I have been document qualified since October 2022 (PD: Sept 2021). I am an Indian citizen and Canadian PR.

Now, my wife has her US Citizenship oath scheduled this month and I have my Canadian citizenship oath scheduled around same time. So I am expecting following instances to happen in about 2-3 months:

1. My wife will submit a form to change our spousal application from F2A to IR1. (not sure how that will take with MTL embassy) - May need some guidance from experts in the group on how to do it and if there anything I have to avoid.
  2. I have to decide if I can take the Canadian citizenship or not as I do have an option to reschedule the oath.
    If I take the Canadian citizenship oath, then I need to know what changes I have to make in my US Spousal application and what could be the consequences (positive or negative). Of Couse this is beside the fact that I have to apply for Canadian passport which will take about a month to come. - I read somewhere that if do change my citizenship while I am waiting for the IL, I have to notify NVC which will trigger the DQ cycle again and other option is to wait for IL once my application category changes from F2A to IR1 and reach out to MTL embassy and request them to open DS-260 form so I can make changes in my citizenship status.
  3. Given that I make the right choices what are the timeline I am looking for to reunite with my wife as it has been almost 2 years and my priority is to do that in a quickest Legal way, LOL.

@Dhruv quick question when was your spouse US citizenship exam?

On 9/15/2023 at 10:39 AM, dhruvroom said:

1. My wife will submit a form to change our spousal application from F2A to IR1. (not sure how long that will take with MTL embassy) - May need some guidance from experts in the group on how to do it and if there anything I have to avoid.

I would consult an immigration lawyer based in the USA for the best advice because this is a very unusual case. 

my advice is if you want to come to the usa quickly legally , I would just get your wife naturalization certificate and submit it to NVC to update your visa category to IR-1 which is faster now where NVC processing time is faster than before . Going and changing citizenship in ds-260 I am not so sure of the timeline for that update with NVC
sorry that I couldn’t provide any further advice on this matter 

40 minutes ago, natashasa said:

I am waiting for my spouse US citizenship Test .Does anyone knows how long after Citizenship test they get scheduled for their Oath ceremony?

You’d be better off asking in the relevant forum, not sure many will have experience on a thread about F2A applicants. 

Edited by appleblossom

1 minute ago, appleblossom said:

You’d be better off asking in the relevant forum, not sure many will have experience on a thread about F2A applicants. 

Not sure which one is a relevant Forum here for me as my PD is 21 May 2021 DQ 2 nov 2022 and Montreal embassy ..With this new Oct bulletein seems like a long wait for interview under F2A category ...the last hope is to convert from F2A to IR1 category so anyone who got their category changed or are in a process .Any help would be appreciated

1 minute ago, natashasa said:

Not sure which one is a relevant Forum here for me as my PD is 21 May 2021 DQ 2 nov 2022 and Montreal embassy ..With this new Oct bulletein seems like a long wait for interview under F2A category ...the last hope is to convert from F2A to IR1 category so anyone who got their category changed or are in a process .Any help would be appreciated

If it’s a question about citizenship processing timelines then you’d likely get more responses in that forum - https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/114-us-citizenship-general-discussion/

Lots going through the process there that should be able to help. 

Good luck. 

On 9/15/2023 at 11:39 AM, dhruvroom said:

1. My wife will submit a form to change our spousal application from F2A to IR1. (not sure how that will take with MTL embassy) - May need some guidance from experts in the group on how to do it and if there anything I have to avoid.

20 hours ago, ks7608 said:

I would consult an immigration lawyer based in the USA for the best advice because this is a very unusual case. 

my advice is if you want to come to the usa quickly legally , I would just get your wife naturalization certificate and submit it to NVC to update your visa category to IR-1 which is faster now where NVC processing time is faster than before . Going and changing citizenship in ds-260 I am not so sure of the timeline for that update with NVC
sorry that I couldn’t provide any further advice on this matter 

1 minute ago, appleblossom said:

If it’s a question about citizenship processing timelines then you’d likely get more responses in that forum - https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/114-us-citizenship-general-discussion/

Lots going through the process there that should be able to help. 

Good luck. 

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey, I just wanted to know if anyone from F2A category received Interview letter at Montreal embassy recently .? Since they were saying that they are scheduling interview for those DQed in March’23. 

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, KHP20 said:

October 2021

Long way to go yet then. Hopefully by the time your PD is current and you're in the queue for an interview Montreal will have caught up with themselves a bit.

Good luck.

On 10/3/2023 at 1:19 PM, KHP20 said:

Hey, I just wanted to know if anyone from F2A category received Interview letter at Montreal embassy recently .? Since they were saying that they are scheduling interview for those DQed in March’23. 

As per this link for F2A category they are scheduling interview for people with DQ April 2021.

https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/consular-operations-updates/

"most Family Preference cases with visa numbers available that are being scheduled for interview were documentarily qualified in April 2021; and most Employment cases scheduled for interview were documentarily complete in January 2021."

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Will you be interviewing in Canada.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.