Dyna

How does it take for a LPR father to sponsor a child

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Hi!

Back on December 2018 ,My LPR uncle filed I130 to perition his unmarried and 19 year old daughter to the US. I'm helping him trying to find out how much time does he have to wait longer.  I'm little confused by looking at the bulletin boards. So my questions are 

1. What's the different between FINAL ACTION DATE and DATE FOR FILING?

2. I know her category is F2A , what does status " Current " (C) mean in the FINAL ACTION DATE chart?

3. The month of September 2019 in the bulletin board, In the DATE FOR FILING chart and F2A column says 08MAR19 . Does that mean they're working on the petition that have filed back in 08Mar19?

thanks 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

you're probably looking at the wrong visa bulletin, has her i130 been approved? because the i130 is normally taking over a year to be approved. between a year and a half and even close to 2 years.

first the i130 has to be approved, then the approved i130 will be sent to NVC or National Visa Center for the second part of the process. the NVC uses the second table on the visa bulletin for that part. the priority date needs to be available for nvc to start emailing the steps to take to file payments, forms and documents to upload

so, at what stage is the form now? has the i130 been approved or not?

the process will take over 2 years if she doesn't age out

Edited by aleful

Timeline

The case hasn't been approved yet. So that means it still under USCIS ? , so how are YOU able to find out it will take abt 1 and half to 2 years?. And what if the child is age out?  I heard a little bit about CSPA?!?

Timeline

you need to find the table for the service center where the i130 is, whether it is California, Vermont, Nebraska, or any other place, check the uscis website

from people who are in that same category that's how long it takes, F2A is for spouses and minor children of a resident, and they all say the same, the i130 at the service centers are taking over a year.

No, the child would then just move to F2B category - for an unmarried adult child of LPR. It’s very important the child remains single until green card in hand, otherwise they’ll lose their case. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

2 hours ago, Dyna said:

Ok gotcha, so if the child ages out, does it mean he needs to reapply under a different category ( son or daughter age over 21) and start all over again?

The child would be automatically moved to F2B if she ages out. CSPA protection will be the time between filing and approval date. So if it takes for example 18 months to approve, she is effectively protected until her actual age is 21 plus 18 months.  If she’s 19 now and already has around 10 months protection and the whole process takes around 2 years - she will probably be ok. You/he/she would need to do the calculation again when she is able to get a visa.

Timeline

Does the F2B  take longer than F2A processing time? . She was born in December 1999 , and the petition was filed on December 2018 , so she has about 3 years for the whole process , if the process really DOES take more than 3 years, and her case moves to F2B category, does it change anything beside the visa category ?

Timeline

of course, it takes longer for a child over 21

around 6 or more years, and the child has to remain unmarried until entering the country

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.