6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

My 2019-2020 FAFSA was flagged for verification at my university's financial aid office because I reported my spouse's income in 2017.  I am the US citizen, and he did not pay US taxes in 2017, because he was not a resident alien, permanent resident, or a US citizen at the time, and did not make any income in the United States. He lived in Greece and paid taxes to the Greek government for the entire year of 2017, and was not liable to file taxes with the United States for 2017. We submitted his Greek tax form which shows his total income and taxes paid to the Greek authorities for 2017, and now they are requesting a 4506-T form from my spouse to prove he did not pay US taxes. We were married late 2018. 

Has anyone here gone through this? I am nervous about him signing anything stating he did not pay taxes because it doesn't quite encompass the truth, and do not want this being misconstrued by the IRS and have it come back to bite us. 

Any help would be much appreciated! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Why you list your spouse income since he not a permanent resident. You just need to fill out FAFSA that you married, but don't included his income since it not counted. Looks like you made a silly mistake. Go to financial aid office at your school and talk with them, this easy to resolved since financial office can corrected your FAFSA record.

Edited by H&T

Timeline
7 minutes ago, H&T said:

Why you list your spouse income since he not a permanent resident. You just need to fill out FAFSA that you married, but don't included his income since it not counted. Looks like you made a silly mistake. Go to financial aid office at your school and talk with them, this easy to resolved since financial office can corrected your FAFSA record.

You are required to report spouse’s income even if you were not married at the time, but are filing as “Married.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Look like you not really know how to fill out FAFSA properly. From community college to university ( will graduate next year) and financial advisors told me they never need foreign spouse income if they not LPR.

Timeline
3 hours ago, H&T said:

Look like you not really know how to fill out FAFSA properly. From community college to university ( will graduate next year) and financial advisors told me they never need foreign spouse income if they not LPR.

I spoke moments ago with a FAFSA rep, and they said I should be including my spouse's foreign income in the FAFSA. 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
On 9/19/2019 at 12:55 PM, H&T said:

That is incorrect

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.