Star12

K1 Police Certificate - Only Obtainable in the Country (Unobtainable)

10 posts in this topic

My fiance and I have been researching what to provide to substitute "unobtainable" police certificates. On the reciprocity schedule for Sudan, police certificates are available ONLY for those that are PRESENT IN SUDAN.  

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Sudan.html

My fiance lived in Sudan for 1 year (April 2018 - April 2019), and due to the civil unrest in Sudan, he left for his safety to Uganda. He left not too long after the airways opened up again in Sudan, and commercial airlines began to come back.   

Coincidentally, in May I submitted my fiance's signed Change of Address declaration to USCIS with our RFE that stated he moved for safety reasons because of Sudan's volatile climate. 

Now (Sep 2019), Sudan is in a transitional government, and I think it's unwise for him to return because in Africa you never know if things are truly stable. Also we feel that the Consular Officer might think of it as a red flag if he does return to Sudan after his declaration stating that he felt unsafe there in April.  

My fiance has his police certificate from the country of his nationality and also is planning to get one in Uganda too for good measure.  Should we write up a Declaration/Affidavit letter for why my fiance could not obtain his Sudan police certificate and have it notarized in Uganda? Somewhat as a substitute for the police certificate? OR - should he just go to the interview without anything for Sudan?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you want peace of mind,  bring a printout of the appropriate section of the website that states that it is unobtainable 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, Star12 said:

Thank you, I considered that. Are consular officers usually knowledgable of each country's nuances?

They should but doesn't mean you shouldn't be prepared 

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
Just now, Star12 said:

Thank you - we have been over thinking everything. My fiance considered to go back to Sudan just to get the police certificate.... 

Many countries will not issue a police certificate to non-residents.  Sudan appears to be one of those countries. 

11 hours ago, Star12 said:

Thank you - we have been over thinking everything. My fiance considered to go back to Sudan just to get the police certificate.... 

No, don't.  Not safe, not necessary.  The consulate where he interviews should be familiar with the concept of unobtainable police certs, even if not specifically Sudan.  Like payxibka mentioned, you can print out the document attesting to this.  Best wishes.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.