4 posts in this topic

I will share my Citizenship Journey in Chicago IL for anyone interested.

1. March 2015 I became a conditional resident after marrying my US citizen.
  2. February 2017 I submitted request to remove conditions sending prove that we married in good faith.
  3. July 2017 I received request to submit more proof because we don't have kids. We sent more than 200 pages this time showing that we bought a house together, cars, bank statements together etc.
  4. September 2017 I received confirmation of approval and conditions were removed
  5. October 2018 I received my new permanent Resident Card (green card) for 10 years.
  6. March 2019 I submitted Form N-400 for naturalization (citizenship)
  7. March 2019 I received letter for Biometrics appointment.
  8. July 2019 I received letter with my N-400 interview information.
  9. August 2019 was my N-400 (citizenship) interview in Chicago at USCIS Building.
  • I got there 20 minutes early.
  • I was interviewed almost right away.
  • The USCIS officer was nice, asked me to show her the paperwork required in the letter and a few thing extra ( thank God I brought a lot of paperwork extra with me) and then asked me the civics questions right away, which I passed with the first 6 questions answered correctly.
  • Officer proceeded with writing and reading test (The test was to read "Where is the white House" The Reading part was " The White House is in Washington, D.C.) Which I passed.
  • Then I was requested to stand and raise my right hand to receive the oath to tell the truth and nothing but the truth.
  • Officer proceeded to ask me a lot of questions about my N-400 Form that I filled and corrected information that changed after the filling)
  •  Officer asked me if I had any questions and I asked a few.
  • Officer gave a piece of Paper saying that I was recommended for approval but had to wait for final decision.
  1. Next day my receipt # was updated online to waiting for approval.
  2. Next day after that it said that I was approved and was in line for oath ceremony date and time.
  3. Exactly 3 Days after my interview my online status was updated to "Oath Ceremony Notice was mailed"
  4. Exactly 2 days after that I received my letter in the mail.
  5. Now I'm just waiting on my oath ceremony which will be in a few days in September, ( I will update after )

PS: My husband hired an attorney for my first resident card but I did NOT get an attorney for N-400 (citizenship) process, I would say that what helped me was that I did it as soon as possible after receiving my Green Card, since USCIS already had investigated me recently twice, when I applied for both my conditional and permanent Green Card, and I'm pretty sure it helped because I was able to do N-400 process in less than 6 months from beginning to end because process started on the very last days of march and is ending in the first weeks of September I will have my oath ceremony for name change with a Judicial Oath Ceremony and that usually takes more time than my case. Good Luck to everyone.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
20 hours ago, Dee Dee said:

2. February 2017 I submitted request to remove conditions sending prove that we married in good faith.
  3. July 2017 I received request to submit more proof because we don't have kids. We sent more than 200 pages this time showing that we bought a house together, cars, bank statements together etc.
  4. September 2017 I received confirmation of approval and conditions were removed
  5. October 2018 I received my new permanent Resident Card (green card) for 10 years.
  9. August 2019 was my N-400 (citizenship) interview in Chicago at USCIS Building.
  • The USCIS officer was nice, asked me to show her the paperwork required in the letter and a few thing extra ( thank God I brought a lot of paperwork extra with me) and then asked me the civics questions right away, which I passed with the first 6 questions answered correctly.
  • Officer proceeded with writing and reading test (The test was to read "Where is the white House" The Reading part was " The White House is in Washington, D.C.) Which I passed.
  • Then I was requested to stand and raise my right hand to receive the oath to tell the truth and nothing but the truth.
  • Officer proceeded to ask me a lot of questions about my N-400 Form that I filled and corrected information that changed after the filling)
  • Officer gave a piece of Paper saying that I was recommended for approval but had to wait for final decision.
  2. Next day after that it said that I was approved and was in line for oath ceremony date and time.
  3. Exactly 3 Days after my interview my online status was updated to "Oath Ceremony Notice was mailed"
  5. Now I'm just waiting on my oath ceremony which will be in a few days in September, ( I will update after )

PS: My husband hired an attorney for my first resident card but I did NOT get an attorney for N-400 (citizenship) process, I would say that what helped me was that I did it as soon as possible after receiving my Green Card, since USCIS already had investigated me recently twice, when I applied for both my conditional and permanent Green Card, and I'm pretty sure it helped because I was able to do N-400 process in less than 6 months from beginning to end because process started on the very last days of march and is ending in the first weeks of September I will have my oath ceremony for name change with a Judicial Oath Ceremony and that usually takes more time than my case. Good Luck to everyone.

Congratulations !  Glad you did not retain an attorney for N-400, since the form is simple and we already gone through a long immigration journey and learned everything.  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

So happy for you. Congratulations Dede! Thanks for sharing your journey.

Our journey applying to adjust status (while in the US) from a B2 visa as the spouse of a US citizen:

[day 00] 12/22/16 ~  Application mailed (I-130, I-485, I-765, and I-13)1

[day 0]   12/24/16 ~  USPS confirmed delivery at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

[day 1]   12/27/16 ~  Priority date (USCIS website's listed date of packet arrival)

[day 16] 01/11/17 ~ Checks cashed, and (4) email and (4) text message application acceptance NOAs received

[day 22] 01/17/17 ~ I-797 (NOA) x4 received in the mail  

[day 25] 01/21/17 ~ Biometrics letter received in the mail

[day 38] 02/02/17 ~ Biometrics appointment (on designated date)

[day 46] 02/10/17 ~ "Interview Ready to be Scheduled"

[day 86] 03/22/17 ~ "Interview Scheduled" for April (USCIS website status)

[day 88] 03/24/17 ~ "Notice of Interview" official letter for April received in mail 

[day 105] 04/10/2017 ~ EAD/AP updated online to "New Card is Being Produced"

[day 112] 04/17/2017 ~ EAD/AP "Card Was Mailed To Me"

[day 116] 04/21/2017 ~ EAD/AP combo card received priority mail

[day 123] 04/28/2017 ~ green card APPROVED at interview (I-485 status online changed to "Case Was Approved")

[day 130] 05/05/2017 ~ GREEN CARD ARRIVED!!!! 

On 8/30/2019 at 6:20 PM, Dee Dee said:

Congratulations !!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.