Guywhohasquestion

I-130. Living overseas but use domestic mailing address?

15 posts in this topic

Hi!

This is my first time posting on this website so if I have posted this in the wrong place someone please let me know and I will delete/move the post.

Here is my situation and question. I am a USC petitioner and I moved overseas (for my job) where i am currently living and where I met and married my wife. To start the process so that my wife can come with me when i return home, we will be submitting the I-130 and I-130a forms. Though I have been living overseas for the last 7 years, my parents live in the USA (and i used to live at that address too). In the form i130 I would of course use my current overseas address as my Physical Address. My question is whether it would be better to use my parents USA address as the Mailing Address in the form? I am thinking that maybe it would make things faster/smoother in the event that USCIS mails out a RFE (or any other correspondence)?

Does anybody have any experience or suggestions for me?

Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Guywhohasquestion said:

Hi!

This is my first time posting on this website so if I have posted this in the wrong place someone please let me know and I will delete/move the post.

Here is my situation and question. I am a USC petitioner and I moved overseas (for my job) where i am currently living and where I met and married my wife. To start the process so that my wife can come with me when i return home, we will be submitting the I-130 and I-130a forms. Though I have been living overseas for the last 7 years, my parents live in the USA (and i used to live at that address too). In the form i130 I would of course use my current overseas address as my Physical Address. My question is whether it would be better to use my parents USA address as the Mailing Address in the form? I am thinking that maybe it would make things faster/smoother in the event that USCIS mails out a RFE (or any other correspondence)?

Thanks!

YES. We did the same.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Guywhohasquestion said:

Hi!

Thanks!

Exactly what we did

Your physical address is your overseas address

* Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to Process & Procedures *

* Removed duplicate post. Please only post about a topic once *

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

15 minutes ago, JulianaSteve said:

YES. We did the same.

14 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

Exactly what we did

Your physical address is your overseas address

Oh wow didn't expect to get a response so fast. Thanks guys!

I guess my concern was the fact that I've been living outside the USA for the last 7 years, and other than the 'Information About Your Parents' section which contains the 'City of Residence' questions, there is nothing else in the I130 or my supporting documents that links me to that address. Do you still think I should use my parents address as the Mailing Address? I might be over analyzing this haha but i just really want to make sure this goes smoothly.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Just now, Guywhohasquestion said:

I guess my concern was the fact that I've been living outside the USA for the last 7 years, and other than the 'Information About Your Parents' section which contains the 'City of Residence' questions, there is nothing else in the I130 or my supporting documents that links me to that address. Do you still think I should use my parents address as the Mailing Address? I might be over analyzing this haha but i just really want to make sure this goes smoothly.

Absolutely, yes.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

* Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to Process & Procedures *

* Removed duplicate post. Please only post about a topic once *

Thank you for doing that. Sorry if i did anything wrong. I was actually about to delete this post after making the other one but saw that people had already replied to this one. 

1 minute ago, Guywhohasquestion said:

Mailing address is just where you want them to send notices. It can be anywhere - family, a friend's address, etc.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Guywhohasquestion said:

hmmm

You’re going to eventually need to show intent to domicile in the US

No bank account?  Credit card?  Drivers license? Voter registration?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Depending on location there may be a better option.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

What country are you living in?

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

6 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

hmmm

You’re going to eventually need to show intent to domicile in the US

No bank account?  Credit card?  Drivers license? Voter registration?

Thanks for the response. Yes I do still have my US bank account and my US drivers license. The thing is that neither the bank account nor the drivers license are mentioned in my responses to the i130, and they are not in the supporting evidences either. I am living in Hong Kong now and the info/evidences being used in my I130 are all Hong Kong based

6 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Absolutely, yes.

Thank you

5 hours ago, Boiler said:

Depending on location there may be a better option.

5 hours ago, geowrian said:

What country are you living in?

Thanks guys! I guess i should have mentioned that in my original post. My spouse and I are in Hong Kong. According to the HK US Consulate webpage (https://hk.usconsulate.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/family-immigration/), US Citizens in Hong Kong need to file the I130 by mail to the USCIS Chicago Lockbox, because 'The Consulate General will only be able to accept and process Form I-130 petitions in exceptional circumstances'. 

My thinking was that because the lockbox is in the USA, then if i use my parents address in the USA as the mailing address, then any communications by mail such as a RFE would be faster (and less likely to be lost due to overseas mailing issues). The original concern that i had with putting my parents address as the mailing address was that other than the 'Information About Your Parents' section which only contains their 'City of Residence' as a question, the rest of my information in the I-130 and in my supporting documents don't reference that USA address. I did used to live there (but that was more than 5 years ago so there's no place to put that in the i130) and i do actually still use that address as the mailing/billing address for my US bank account (but my US bank account isn't related to any of the supporting documents that we will be submitting).

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Guywhohasquestion said:

Thanks guys! I guess i should have mentioned that in my original post. My spouse and I are in Hong Kong. According to the HK US Consulate webpage (https://hk.usconsulate.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/family-immigration/), US Citizens in Hong Kong need to file the I130 by mail to the USCIS Chicago Lockbox, because 'The Consulate General will only be able to accept and process Form I-130 petitions in exceptional circumstances'. 

My thinking was that because the lockbox is in the USA, then if i use my parents address in the USA as the mailing address, then any communications by mail such as a RFE would be faster (and less likely to be lost due to overseas mailing issues). The original concern that i had with putting my parents address as the mailing address was that other than the 'Information About Your Parents' section which only contains their 'City of Residence' as a question, the rest of my information in the I-130 and in my supporting documents don't reference that USA address. I did used to live there (but that was more than 5 years ago so there's no place to put that in the i130) and i do actually still use that address as the mailing/billing address for my US bank account (but my US bank account isn't related to any of the supporting documents that we will be submitting).

The only connection you need is a person at that address to receive mail in your behalf.  

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.