SusieQQQ

Updated residency rules for citizenship

9 posts in this topic

Apologies if I missed someone posting this (if so mods please merge)

effective 29 Oct. most affects children of US government employees and military outside the US 

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/policymanual/updates/20190828-ResidenceForCitizenship.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2KE6WuWFdrZVHYwPW8Hqu67-x9F3Kkj8Q-CqNNRIJcoJkfotptCT41iqg

20190828-ResidenceForCitizenship.pdf?fbc

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

reading any of these policies gets confusing

Are they saying that children born of a USC and  living on a military base outside the US can no longer declare citizenship??? in the following:

Explains that USCIS no longer considers children of U.S. government employees and U.S. armed forces members residing outside the United States as “residing in the United States” for purposes of acquiring citizenship under INA 320.3 Citation: Volume 12: Citizenship and Naturalization, Part H, Children of U.S. Citizens [12 USCIS-PM H]; Part I, Military Members and their Families [12 USCIS-PM I].

In light of the latest changes made to the residency requirements for the parent of a U.S. citizen born abroad, I am curious if a U.S. citizen by birth who lived in U.S. from birth till 22 had a child born abroad with a non-U.S. spouse, will the child be a U.S. citizen?

Can any executive order/policy change (that makes my future child not a U.S. citizen for being born outside U.S.) be constitutional? I would much rather move back if such a change is anticipated. Any advice is welcome.

Edited by darth vader

15 minutes ago, darth vader said:

In light of the latest changes made to the residency requirements for the parent of a U.S. citizen born abroad, I am curious if a U.S. citizen by birth who lived in U.S. from birth till 22 had a child born abroad with a non-U.S. spouse, will the child be a U.S. citizen?

Can any executive order/policy change (that makes my future child not a U.S. citizen for being born outside U.S.) be constitutional? I would much rather move back if such a change is anticipated. Any advice is welcome.

Are you , or your spouse, a "U.S.government employees and U.S. armed force"?

4 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

No. 

Rules for other expats are not changing.

Could it be changed in future? Would that be constitutional? I have been out of U.S. news for a while so wondering what's the discussion on the matter is.

Edited by darth vader

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/29/755506286/what-do-new-citizenship-rules-for-kids-of-u-s-military-workers-abroad-mean

The scope of the rule change is limited to groups below.  

Quote:

• parents who adopted children while serving abroad
  • parents who became U.S. citizens after their children were born
  • parents who are U.S. citizens but have never lived here
  • recently naturalized citizens who have not met the U.S. residency requirements to transmit citizenship to their children automatically 

Now the administration is trying to emphasize it only affects a small number. So what? Why target the children of military actually serving the country abroad? Of all people to target, honestly, you choose the ones who currently are giving up all sorts of things for their country? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.