bbauer26

I-130 US Residency for foreign Spouse Questions!!!

7 posts in this topic

Hello all!

Thank you in advance to any and all responses to this thread. 

My husband currently lives in the UK. We are attempting to make a change in our living situation. We've been married since November 2018 (filed form in Feb). Ideally we would like him to move here, start a family and our life together. However, we are nervous because we clearly don't have the approved paperwork as of yet. He has a travel visa, but we would like to avoid having him leave the country every 90 days, quitting his current job before he needs to, and getting here and not being able to work etc. 

So my questions are as follows:

1. Is there any way to get a more concrete timeline on this paperwork? I've tried messaging, calling, etc. all to no avail. Zero phone call answers. Zero email responses. 

2. Will he be able to work in the US when/if his I-130 is approved? 

3. Can he live here BEFORE the paperwork is approved, even if he isn't working? *Would it be advisable to apply for some sort of work visa in the meantime?

We're really trying to do everything by the book, but (as I'm sure you know) this process is lonely, complicated, and extremely frustrating!

I am open to any and all suggestions/advice to make this process run more smoothly! Please share your wealth of knowledge with me!

THANK YOU so much! Your responses are GREATLY appreciated. 

You need to file an I-130/I-130A package.  He would not be able to work in the US while awaiting the spousal  VISA.   If he gets a job offer they would sponsor his work Visa. 

He can visit as allowed under VWP.   He needs to show ties and a reason to return to the UK.

It is a long process but many here have made it thru it.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
23 minutes ago, bbauer26 said:

Hello all!

Thank you in advance to any and all responses to this thread. 

My husband currently lives in the UK. We are attempting to make a change in our living situation. We've been married since November 2018 (filed form in Feb). Ideally we would like him to move here, start a family and our life together. However, we are nervous because we clearly don't have the approved paperwork as of yet. He has a travel visa, but we would like to avoid having him leave the country every 90 days, quitting his current job before he needs to, and getting here and not being able to work etc. 

1. Is there any way to get a more concrete timeline on this paperwork? I've tried messaging, calling, etc. all to no avail. Zero phone call answers. Zero email responses. 

3. Can he live here BEFORE the paperwork is approved, even if he isn't working? *Would it be advisable to apply for some sort of work visa in the meantime?

We're really trying to do everything by the book, but (as I'm sure you know) this process is lonely, complicated, and extremely frustrating!

I am open to any and all suggestions/advice to make this process run more smoothly! Please share your wealth of knowledge with me!

THANK YOU so much! Your responses are GREATLY appreciated. 

Hi there. My process is taking now 1 year and 4 months (CR1 visa).

You can not live or working in the US based on a Visa in progress. 

Before the I-130, you have the NCV and next the Embassy step.

Is a long process and you guys need to find the better way to maintain the calm!!

Best wishes!!

36 minutes ago, bbauer26 said:

Right now the processing timeline for I-130 is probably 8-12 months. They will not respond to inquiries if you’re within normal processing times. You can check processing times on USCIS website for your specific service center that is processing your case. Also check out the guides in this forum, really research and be familiar with the steps and the whole process, because after the I-130 is approved and transferred to the NVC, things will go faster but much will depend on how well you prepare the documents.

No. The I-130 by itself gives him nothing. 

3. Can he live here BEFORE the paperwork is approved, even if he isn't working?

No, he cannot live here. He can visit for up to 90 days and he needs to comply with the terms of the ESTA program with is a huge benefit he is able to avail as a UK citizen. Many other hundreds of thousands of couples who live in places where they can’t visit/meet very easily or not at all. 

Would it be advisable to apply for some sort of work visa in the meantime?

He can if he qualifies. However pretty much any work visa program in the US requires an employer sponsoring and the process can take long as well. There is the L1B work visa for intra-company transfer if his current company in the UK has a US branch and if he’s allowed to transfer to the US branch, that’ll work.

We're really trying to do everything by the book

Well, there is no other way but the book. I mean, the only other way I can think of is to take a flight to Mexico and swim across the Rio Grande

this process is lonely, complicated, and extremely frustrating!

Complicated and frustrating, yes, and you can add expensive, slow, difficult, but probably nit lonely. If it makes you feel better, as mentioned, there are hundreds of thousands of other couples out there on the exact same boat as you are, some of the haven’t been able to see each other for years. Think about the reward at the end though, the moment you’ll meet him at the airport knowing this time he’ll stay for good!

Edited by USS_Voyager

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Your I-130 petition can take up to a year to be approved, I see you got Nebraska Service Center, and they are taking a very long time to review petitions.  Then after the I-130 petition is approved there will be another 4+ months for NVC, uploading more documents, DS-260 online, scheduling the visa interview, etc.  If you filed the I-130 in February, your process might be concluded as soon as six months from now, but with Nebraska as the service center, more likely it will extend to seven, eight, or more months.  Hang in there and visit each other as often as you can during the process.  Good luck!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:08 PM, bbauer26 said:

Answers:

1. No
  2. No
  3. No
    1. Chances of obtaining a work visa are next to nil.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.