AMB

Question about supplying social media info (Split)

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys i hope all u doing well 

i have question .. my attorney chose to put “none” in my online ds160 for my k1 visa but after the interview i was asked through email to provide answers for questions that used be known as ds5535. Then I answered the questions and actually I answered about my social media accounts that I mentioned the identifiers of my accounts. So would they deny my visa? Cuz in initial form which is ds160 my attorney chose none and I mentioned my identifiers in ds5535 by the way my attorney asked me if i have any social media i told her I’ve deleted them 

2 hours ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

Just to clarify for anyone reading this and contemplating not filling in their social media details, if they have social media - please read the screenshot below. 

Do do you have social media? (Yes or no). If you have not used social media within the last 5 years, select none. 

It does not, as any point, say ‘if you have not used social media within the last 5 years or if you just don’t fancy telling us about it, select none.’

If you select ‘none’ and you have social media, you just lied on your DS160. On one of the questions they use to conduct security checks. 

I would say that’s probably not a smart move - and if you are found out, it looks incredibly suspicious that you’ve chosen to keep that info secret (plus, if you lied there, how do I, the  interviewing officer, know if you’ve lied elsewhere in the form too?).

So yeah, please note that filling in that section is NOT OPTIONAL...and lying really isn’t recommended, for anywhere on your form, unless of course you want to be denied your visa.

B3E6AD72-B779-4885-B14D-65BA1C83D97C.png

i have question .. my attorney chose to put “none” in my online ds160 for my k1 visa but after the interview i was asked through email to provide answers for questions that used be known as ds5535. Then I answered the questions and actually I answered about my social media accounts that I mentioned the identifiers of my accounts. So would they deny my visa? Cuz in initial form which is ds160 my attorney chose none and I mentioned my identifiers in ds5535 by the way my attorney asked me if i have any social media i told her I’ve deleted them 

36 minutes ago, Sarah n Ryan said:

We submitted the new ds 160 and it asks for screen names for any of the major social media sites. Not really much to it and a small section on the form itself. 

We put in his FB, Reddit, and any other.  You have went through the whole process and want it to be private? 

It does not ask for passwords and such so I don’t get the reasoning as the Affidavit of Support and packet is much more in depth. 

I understand wanting your privacy but privacy does not exist much in this process which is understandable with what we are asking. 

Good luck on your journey but I would definitely redo ds 160 for the visa. 

We all have a decision and hope the best for the both of you. 

I would not risk it. We are at Interview stage but they may ask the same thing everyone else here is. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
18 minutes ago, AMB said:

So would they deny my visa? Cuz in initial form which is ds160 my attorney chose none and I mentioned my identifiers in ds5535 by the way my attorney asked me if i have any social media i told her I’ve deleted them 

Im sorry, I don’t see a timeline and would not want to give you advice as Im not familiar with your form.

I would ask on your sub forum. 

Most answers are given based on the information you provide. If you want an accurate response than filling your timeline and submitting a new post would likely give you the most accurate information from the most knowledgeable on here and the opinions of others that have went before you. 

Good luck my friend. 

11 minutes ago, Sarah n Ryan said:

Im sorry, I don’t see a timeline and would not want to give you advice as Im not familiar with your form.

I would ask on your sub forum. 

Most answers are given based on the information you provide. If you want an accurate response than filling your timeline and submitting a new post would likely give you the most accurate information from the most knowledgeable on here and the opinions of others that have went before you. 

Good luck my friend. 

I don’t understand wat do u mean

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

always read the instructions as you will see that if extra information is needed use a separate sheet to explain

• If you are unsure of the answer to a question, please provide a response to the best of your knowledge. For example, if you are unsure of an exact address, provide the city, state, and street name if you can recall them. U.S. Department of State will consider all the information derived from the form in its entirety. • Failure to answer every question will not necessarily preclude visa issuance, as the application is considered in its entirety. • If you believe a particular question does not apply to you or your circumstances, please write "not applicable" or "N/A." • If you need more space to respond to a question, please write the rest of your response on a separate sheet of paper. • Aside from your name, date of birth, and visa classification, please only provide information not included in your current visa application. For example, if all of your children are listed in your current visa application (Form DS-160 or DS-260), you do not need to list them again.

Explain that your attorney answered no to the question as you told him u had deleted all social media

but the DS 5535 wants last 5 years

and then explain how you were able to keep in contact with your fiancee without social media as that will be the next issue/ i know there is a drop down list but they ask for all social media as these instructions say :

Please provide your unique user name for any websites or applications you have used to create or share content (photos, videos, status updates, etc.) as part of a public profile within the last five years. (You do not need to list accounts designed for use by multiple users within a business or other organization.)

By definition :

Social media are interactive computer-mediated technologies that facilitate the creation and sharing of information, ideas, career interests and other forms of expression via virtual communities and networks.[1][2] Users usually access social media services via web-based technologies on desktops and laptops, or download services that offer social media functionality to their mobile devices (e.g., smartphones and tablets)

21 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

always read the instructions as you will see that if extra information is needed use a separate sheet to explain

• If you are unsure of the answer to a question, please provide a response to the best of your knowledge. For example, if you are unsure of an exact address, provide the city, state, and street name if you can recall them. U.S. Department of State will consider all the information derived from the form in its entirety. • Failure to answer every question will not necessarily preclude visa issuance, as the application is considered in its entirety. • If you believe a particular question does not apply to you or your circumstances, please write "not applicable" or "N/A." • If you need more space to respond to a question, please write the rest of your response on a separate sheet of paper. • Aside from your name, date of birth, and visa classification, please only provide information not included in your current visa application. For example, if all of your children are listed in your current visa application (Form DS-160 or DS-260), you do not need to list them again.

Explain that your attorney answered no to the question as you told him u had deleted all social media

but the DS 5535 wants last 5 years

and then explain how you were able to keep in contact with your fiancee without social media as that will be the next issue/ i know there is a drop down list but they ask for all social media as these instructions say :

Please provide your unique user name for any websites or applications you have used to create or share content (photos, videos, status updates, etc.) as part of a public profile within the last five years. (You do not need to list accounts designed for use by multiple users within a business or other organization.)

By definition :

Social media are interactive computer-mediated technologies that facilitate the creation and sharing of information, ideas, career interests and other forms of expression via virtual communities and networks.[1][2] Users usually access social media services via web-based technologies on desktops and laptops, or download services that offer social media functionality to their mobile devices (e.g., smartphones and tablets)

Yea my attorney chose none to the question of social media but then wen i got ds5535 and i was asked again about my social media then i gave them my identifiers of my social media before I deleted them , would they consider that as a misrepresentation because my attorney chose none in the ds160? Or not 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
17 minutes ago, AMB said:

Yea my attorney chose none to the question of social media but then wen i got ds5535 and i was asked again about my social media then i gave them my identifiers of my social media before I deleted them , would they consider that as a misrepresentation because my attorney chose none in the ds160? Or not 

not if you explained why on a separate sheet of paper as instructions say to do or had the attorney explain / after all you paid a lot to get advice from one so use him 

6 hours ago, AMB said:

Why did you delete all your social media profiles? That would raise questions about whether you're worried what USCIS might find on them.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

46 minutes ago, Limey said:

Why did you delete all your social media profiles? That would raise questions about whether you're worried what USCIS might find on them.

Actually I deleted them because my fiancé wanted me to delete them I didn’t have anything to hide I tried to get them back but I couldn’t 

my question is that in the ds160 None was chosen for my social media 

then i mentioned my social media identifiers in the ds5535 before I deleted them and told them i had and I’ve deleted them long time ago but less than five years 

would that be considered as misrepresentation? 

Regardless of what the attorney put, it does come down on you as it is your application. I'm not saying it will or won't be an issue...just clarifying that an attorney doing it or suggesting it doesn't change anything. As an example, if an attorney told you to lie, you are still held accountable to tell the truth.

That said, the discrepancy may raise some questions or even extend the lengthy AP process for background checks with a DS-5535. I doubt it will be deemed material in this case as they were later (voluntarily) disclosed within the same visa application (the application is more than just the form).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.