VJmember2020

Has anyone who applied for a k1 visa had a fiance who wasn't a British citizen?

16 posts in this topic

My fiance lives in the UK but is not a British citizen, she has a legal visa "leave to remain". 

I am the petitioner who is a US citizen... 

if you are in the same situation, 

did the UK embassy have any issue with this? 

i dont think it would be but just want to make sure. 

can anyone move this thread to UK forum. thx

21 minutes ago, toothfixer said:

My fiance lives in the UK but is not a British citizen, she has a legal visa "leave to remain". 

I am the petitioner who is a US citizen... 

if you are in the same situation, 

did the UK embassy have any issue with this? 

i dont think it would be but just want to make sure. 

can anyone move this thread to UK forum. thx

They won’t have issues with it,  but the process (background checks etc) will reflect his citizenship, I.e should he be from a  travel ban country etc.

Just now, Jorgedig said:

They won’t have issues with it,  but the process (background checks etc) will reflect his citizenship, I.e should he be from a  travel ban country etc.

Okay thank you, 

she holds an indian passport... so hope there will be no issues? 

thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
31 minutes ago, toothfixer said:

Okay thank you, 

thanks!

Yes that is fine, India is not on a travel ban.

K1 Visa Timeline [Approved]

Spoiler

07/23/2018    I-129F sent

07/25/2018    NOA1 email notification

07/30/2018    NOA1 hard copy

12/21/2018    NOA2 hard copy

01/10/2019    NVC Case # assigned

01/22/2019    Left NVC

01/29/2019    Embassy received

01/29/2019    Pkt 3 sent

02/01/2019    Pkt 4 received

02/13/2019    Medical

03/00/2019    Interview approved!

04/01/2019    Visa issued

04/02/2019    Visa received in mail

04/06/2019    POE

05/04/2019    Wedding

Adjustment Of Status Timeline [Approved]

Spoiler

05/31/2019    I-485, I-131 and I-765 sent

06/10/2019    NOA1 (electronic) & check cashed

06/11/2019    NOA1 hard copies

07/05/2019    Biometrics walk-in

09/30/2019    Interview scheduled (electronic notification)

10/23/2019    EAD/AP approved

11/00/2019    AOS Interview approved!

11/08/2019    Green card is being produced

11/16/2019    Green card in hand

*~*~*moved to United Kingdom regional forum, at the poster’s request*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, toothfixer said:

Okay thank you, 

thanks!

A few years back, everybody I knew from India or Pakistan had AP for about 4 weeks, even the one with UK citizenship who left India as an infant. They were told approved at the interview so don't book flights until she has the visa, just in case. I haven't noticed that lately, but can't think of anybody recently from India.

10 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

A few years back, everybody I knew from India or Pakistan had AP for about 4 weeks, even the one with UK citizenship who left India as an infant. They were told approved at the interview so don't book flights until she has the visa, just in case. I haven't noticed that lately, but can't think of anybody recently from India.

Got it thank you. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi @toothfixer, I'm holding a Russian passport and I'm a resident of the UK (3-year Tier 2 ("work") visa). I'm going to apply for the K1 visa at the US embassy in London. The K1 interview is not scheduled yet, but I haven't faced any problems having the petition approved so far. Also, NVC assigned me a case number starting with LND which seems to mean they will send it to the US embassy in London. I'm in touch with a US immigration lawyer on my case and she also did not see any red flags in my case just because of my non-UK citizenship, that seems to be a not so uncommon thing.

Just now, BBGG said:

Hi @toothfixer, I'm holding a Russian passport and I'm a resident of the UK (3-year Tier 2 ("work") visa). I'm going to apply for the K1 visa at the US embassy in London. The K1 interview is not scheduled yet, but I haven't faced any problems having the petition approved so far. Also, NVC assigned me a case number starting with LND which seems to mean they will send it to the US embassy in London. I'm in touch with a US immigration lawyer on my case and she also did not see any red flags in my case just because of my non-UK citizenship, that seems to be a not so uncommon thing.

thank you so much for your response. Do you think the US immigration lawyer is worth it for cases such as ours? 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

On one hand, my feeling is that if your only concern is simply having one country citizenship while applying from another country then it may not be worth having a lawyer as this may not actually be a problem on its own.

On the other hand, I don't know what special attention may Indian passport attract from the US immigration side. I was concerned about my specific Russian citizenship because of somewhat tense relationship between the US and Russia, but the lawyer said there was no evidence that Russians are getting any special treatment and additional delays because of that (incidentally, my lawyer is Russian who is living and working in the US). I also analysed a bit Russian applicants timelines here on VisaJourney and I did not see that Russians' petitions were approved any later than those from other countries, so I could relax.

Me and my fiancé are paying to a lawyer because we want to avoid any delays and be together as soon as possible, and also as we are doing this for the first (and hopefully the last) time we also were not sure if my Russian passport could make it more complicated. But our lawyer offered us a phone consultation for $150 before we actually signed the contract with her, and we got many answers to our questions from her during that first call. You can try and do the same - just have a consultation and not the full service package.

Just now, BBGG said:

On one hand, my feeling is that if your only concern is simply having one country citizenship while applying from another country then it may not be worth having a lawyer as this may not actually be a problem on its own.

On the other hand, I don't know what special attention may Indian passport attract from the US immigration side. I was concerned about my specific Russian citizenship because of somewhat tense relationship between the US and Russia, but the lawyer said there was no evidence that Russians are getting any special treatment and additional delays because of that (incidentally, my lawyer is Russian who is living and working in the US). I also analysed a bit Russian applicants timelines here on VisaJourney and I did not see that Russians' petitions were approved any later than those from other countries, so I could relax.

Me and my fiancé are paying to a lawyer because we want to avoid any delays and be together as soon as possible, and also as we are doing this for the first (and hopefully the last) time we also were not sure if my Russian passport could make it more complicated. But our lawyer offered us a phone consultation for $150 before we actually signed the contract with her, and we got many answers to our questions from her during that first call. You can try and do the same - just have a consultation and not the full service package.

Understood, thank you once again so much for your reply. 

Appreciate it. Best of luck and I hope everything goes smoothly. 

Timeline
40 minutes ago, toothfixer said:

thank you so much for your response. Do you think the US immigration lawyer is worth it for cases such as ours? 

You don't need a lawyer. She will get approved unless she has been a drug dealer, Nazi, in prison, or has leprosy. If they do extra security checks like they used to, a lawyer can't speed that up.

Timeline

Two of my Indian VJ acquaintances who went through London even had some odd circumstances. One did not have a certified copy of her birth certificate or any of the substitutes. They approved her on a photocopy. She's already a US citizen and divorced from her K1.

The other was allowed to interview without his passport. The UKHO had it for a student visa approval and apparently lost it for like 9 months. Of course he did have to get it back before the visa could be it in it. But if they would allow no certified birth certificate and an interview without a passport from Indian nationals, then they obviously don't discriminate against them if they meet the criteria. I think you will be surprised how easy the interview will be. No evidence of relationship, no photos together. 

• 3 months later...
On 8/13/2019 at 2:48 AM, BBGG said:

Hi, I am in the same situation. Assuming you already had your interview, were you asked to provide your BRP card or the proof of Tier 2 visa before or after the interview? Many thanks for your reply. 

1 minute ago, QBHE said:

Hi, I am in the same situation. Assuming you already had your interview, were you asked to provide your BRP card or the proof of Tier 2 visa before or after the interview? Many thanks for your reply. 

Hello, I have not had the interview yet. We are submitting the visa within the next 2 months... 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.