C. Michelle

Can Spouse have Traveling Privileges for Work?

22 posts in this topic

12/30 - I took a one way flight to UAE (my spouse has an employment visa here)

12/31/18  - 3/17/19 - I was living in UAE with spouse on a tourist visa

3/18/19 - 6/7/19 - We vacationed in Ghana (spouse home country). We got married in Ghana on 3/22/19.

6/8/19 - 7/4/19 - I vacationed alone in South Africa & France. My husband went back to UAE.

7/31/19 - now - I joined him in UAE on another tourist visa. The plan is to get me a spouse visa in the UAE with my husband's new contract.

My husband is a football (i.e. soccer) player in the UAE. It's not as glamorous as it sounds. He would like to continue to pursue his career which will require extended overseas travel for work. In order for him to pursue his career, do I need to complete I-131 along with I-130 so husband can have traveling privileges during the process?  

Also, will it hurt us that I am not working nor do I own a residence in USA? 

Last question, we got married in Ghana but now we are in the UAE. Do I use the Chicago lockbox to submit our application since we were not married in UAE?

Thank you for your assistance in advance.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

What travel privileges and for what reason 

You need to be a qualified sponsor or you need to find one.  No income makes it difficult to be qualified as a sponsor 

Yes, Chicago 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, C. Michelle said:

He will be traveling for work. 

If he has his green card and he is making short term trips outside the country,  then nothing additional required 

What kind of extended time?

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Your husband does not need the I-131 since he is outside the US and is not filing to adjust status.  

He's free to travel while the I-130 is processing.  Once he gets his immigration visa, he enters the US and immediately gets his green card.  He can travel internationally the next day.  He must maintain a US home to keep his green card.  

You not working is a problem.  You will need a Joint Sponsor who can meet the financial requirements of the I-864.

You do not need to own a residence in the US.  The requirement is that you are living and domiciled in the US.

Your I-130 gets mailed to the dropbox.  

Awesome, great advice.

This may be a stupid question but I need to be clear.

If I obtain employment in the UAE, is that still considered living and domiciled in USA?

As newly weds we would like to cut down on expenses and save as much money as possible. Can we use a relative's address as a place of residence?

Timeline
9 minutes ago, C. Michelle said:

Awesome, great advice.

If I obtain employment in the UAE, is that still considered living and domiciled in USA?

As newly weds we would like to cut down on expenses and save as much money as possible. Can we use a relative's address as a place of residence?

You're being too creative.

If you are living and working in the UAE, then you are not living or domiciled in the USA.  Using a relative's address is not going to work for domicile.

The entire immigration process is about whether the CO believe your story or not.  If you start being too creative, then you run the risk of being labeled as shady or liars.

Sometimes things are literal.  If you are living and working in the UAE, then of course you are not living in the USA.

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline
14 minutes ago, C. Michelle said:

Thank you Aaron for your response. 

But there's no way someone can quit their secure job of 7 years, sell all their possessions, condense their life to 2 suitcases and leave their support system for love be considered a liar.

Possibly stupid but definitely not a liar.

Spend some time reading things on VJ.  Lots of lying going on for a K1 or CR1.  People lie all the time to get an immigration visa.  All of them packed and moved and got green cards and lied their way through the process.  Honest people get compared to these folks.  If you come off as claiming a US domicile while living and working in the UAE, then good luck to you.  That has nothing to do with quitting a secure job of 7 years, etc.   The issue of domicile which you seem to be trying to work your way around is not in the "not shady" side. 

You are making assumptions.  Read real life experiences here on VJ.  Search for "domicile" and you can see the issues.  Separation is part of the immigration game.  Lots of newbies get mad when they are told this by experienced members.

Good luck.  

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
51 minutes ago, C. Michelle said:

Awesome, great advice.

Yes however:

You need to maintain domicile with that relative.  Drivers license, credit cards, bank account, insurance, voter registration, and if it’s a state with income tax?  Gotta file that too.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
46 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

If you are living and working in the UAE, then you are not living or domiciled in the USA.  Using a relative's address is not going to work for domicile.

The entire immigration process is about whether the CO believe your story or not.  If you start being too creative, then you run the risk of being labeled as shady or liars.

Sometimes things are literal.  If you are living and working in the UAE, then of course you are not living in the USA.

We did it.

This was thoroughly vetted during the SB1 application process and they made the determination that ties were adequately maintained. 

On the issue of I-131 recommendation is to enter the US,  apply/obtain a travel document.

Eventually they will HAVE to physically live in the US but a green card is not a set of handcuffs or an ankle bracelet like so many of you imply that it is.

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, C. Michelle said:

12/30 - I took a one way flight to UAE (my spouse has an employment visa here)

12/31/18  - 3/17/19 - I was living in UAE with spouse on a tourist visa

3/18/19 - 6/7/19 - We vacationed in Ghana (spouse home country). We got married in Ghana on 3/22/19.

6/8/19 - 7/4/19 - I vacationed alone in South Africa & France. My husband went back to UAE.

7/31/19 - now - I joined him in UAE on another tourist visa. The plan is to get me a spouse visa in the UAE with my husband's new contract.

My husband is a football (i.e. soccer) player in the UAE. It's not as glamorous as it sounds. He would like to continue to pursue his career which will require extended overseas travel for work. In order for him to pursue his career, do I need to complete I-131 along with I-130 so husband can have traveling privileges during the process?    ONCE YOUR HUSBAND ARRIVES IN THE USA AND HAS HIS GREEN CARD HE IS FREE TO TRAVEL INTERNATIONALLY .. HE DOES NEED TO PAY ATTENTION TO "TIME OUT OF THE USA" OR IT COULD RESULT IN THE GREEN CARD BEING CANCELLED 

Also, will it hurt us that I am not working nor do I own a residence in USA?  YOU NEED TO HAVE ADEQUATE INCOME TO SUPPORT YOURSELF AND YOUR HUSBAND (AND CHILDREN IF THEY ARE ANY), IF NOT YOU WILL NEED A QUALIFIED CO-SPONSOR.  YOU ALSO NEED TO HAVE A U.S. DOMICILE (RENTAL OR OWNED IS YOUR DECISION).

Last question, we got married in Ghana but now we are in the UAE. Do I use the Chicago lockbox to submit our application since we were not married in UAE?    WHERE YOU FILE THE I-130 IS BASED UPON WHERE YOU ARE RESIDING AT THE TIME YOUR FILE, NOT WHERE YOU GOT MARRIED.    "If you reside outside of the United States, you may file at the USCIS Chicago Lockbox facility." 

Thank you for your assistance in advance.

^^

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, aaron2020 said:

Why won't "it work" to use a relatives home address for domicile?

I know of a number of couples living overseas that listed their family members home as residence.    Embassy had zero issue with that

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.