ram1009

different confirmation numbers

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, ram1009 said:

That seems to be the unofficial consensus however I'm going to continue to try to make it official.  My fiance belongs to a chat group of women who all have fiance visas in process.  My fiance posed this question to the group and those that answered all said theirs didn't match either and they were accepted for interview.  It's hard for me to believe that I'm the first person on VJ to ask this question but the lack of replies from members would indicate that's the case.  I'm told Monday is a Philippine holiday so this debate must wait until Tuesday when I will try to contact USEM unless someone with personal knowledge chimes in.  Thanks to all who responded.

You are simply DO-DOing when DO will DO.      Why is anyone's guess.

"Never DO-DO when DO will DO"

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Hank_ said:

You are simply DO-DOing when DO will DO.      Why is anyone's guess.

"Never DO-DO when DO will DO"

That's very cute but I believe in insurance.  Everything going on here is anecdodal.  I want to hear things from the people MAKING the rules rather than those trying to interpret them like myself.

Timeline
46 minutes ago, payxibka said:

I don't believe it is an issue because the interview appointment number is an IV unit issued "case" number and the DS160 has a NIV unit issued "case" number,  so they never will match 

I hear you but then why do they put such a dire warning right in front of the interview application page.  It's an obvious conflict.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, ram1009 said:

I hear you but then why do they put such a dire warning right in front of the interview application page.  It's an obvious conflict.

Because they do 5,000 othet nonimmigrant interviews a week compared to 150 k1s.  

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Because they do 5,000 othet nonimmigrant interviews a week compared to 150 k1s.  

NIVs don't do DS160s though so the warning is NOT intended for them.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ram1009 said:

NIVs don't do DS160s though so the warning is NOT intended for them.

Sorry,  ds160 is the nonimmigrant application form that the NIV unit sees 5000 of each werk.  Ds260 is the immigrant application form.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
4 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Sorry,  ds160 is the nonimmigrant application form that the NIV unit sees 5000 of each werk.  Ds260 is the immigrant application form.

Sorry, I got that backward.  I still don't know why you guys consider K1 an immigrant visa just because it's being processed by the IV unit.  I can't find anything in writing supporting that claim.  That's what I mean by anecdotal evidence.

Timeline
Just now, ram1009 said:

Sorry, I got that backward.  I still don't know why you guys consider K1 an immigrant visa just because it's being processed by the IV unit.  I can't find anything in writing supporting that claim.  That's what I mean by anecdotal evidence.

I never said that so don't put me in that group.   It is a nonimmigrant visa INTERVIEWED by the immigrant visa unit.  After the interview and the interviewing officer is satisfied,  the case gets transferred to the NIV unit for issuance 

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, payxibka said:

I never said that so don't put me in that group.   It is a nonimmigrant visa INTERVIEWED by the immigrant visa unit.  After the interview and the interviewing officer is satisfied,  the case gets transferred to the NIV unit for issuance 

I agree.  It sounds to me like a personnel availability/allocation issue to me.  Sorry to misquote you.

Timeline
Just now, ram1009 said:

I agree.  It sounds to me like a personnel availability/allocation issue to me.  Sorry to misquote you.

No, its more about the IV unit being better trained at assessing bonafide relationships because it is something the IV unit needs to assess regularly for spousal visas and the NIV unit never has to do that assessment for any other visa type 

YMMV

Timeline
13 minutes ago, payxibka said:

No, its more about the IV unit being better trained at assessing bonafide relationships because it is something the IV unit needs to assess regularly for spousal visas and the NIV unit never has to do that assessment for any other visa type 

Whatever the reason, being interviewed by a IV CO does not make the visa an IV document, IMHO.  Until I see it in writing on an official document a K1 is NIV.

Timeline
Just now, ram1009 said:

Whatever the reason, being interviewed by a IV CO does not make the visa an IV document, IMHO.  Until I see it in writing on an official document a K1 is NIV.

You won't see anything official in writing that a K1 is an immigrant Visa because it is NOT.   If it was an immigrant visa there would be no reason to adjust status after arrival.   It is an nonimmigrant visa (with immigrant intent mind you).  Anybody who says differently is clueless,  misinformed or simply an idiot

YMMV

Timeline
1 hour ago, payxibka said:

You won't see anything official in writing that a K1 is an immigrant Visa because it is NOT.   If it was an immigrant visa there would be no reason to adjust status after arrival.   It is an nonimmigrant visa (with immigrant intent mind you).  Anybody who says differently is clueless,  misinformed or simply an idiot

You should speak your mind.  Don't hold back so much.:rofl:

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

K-1 has Immigration intent .. which is why the IV unit does the visa application, and then the final issuance is done by NIV because it isn't an immigration visa.  The intent won't happen until arrival in the USA at which time the beneficiary gets the pleasure of submitting the I-485 to adjust status from non-immigrant to immigrant status.

You will find on the embassy website that the K-1 visa is listed in the Immigrant Visa section.    

1)  K-1 petition is processed by USCIS same as an immigrant visa.        Normally non-immigrant visas are totally processed by the embassy ...  thus there is NO petition being processed at USCIS

2)  K-1 visa is process by ALL embassies in the Immigrant Visa Unit.  (which is why it is listed under that heading on their websites).

It isn't complicated.

Why is water wet?  Why is grass green?  Why do squirrels eat nuts?       .. my 6 year old nephews asks those questions.    And he isn't happy with the answer .. that is just the way it is.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

K-1 has Immigration intent .. which is why the IV unit does the visa application, and then the final issuance is done by NIV because it isn't an immigration visa.  The intent won't happen until arrival in the USA at which time the beneficiary gets the pleasure of submitting the I-485 to adjust status from non-immigrant to immigrant status.

You will find on the embassy website that the K-1 visa is listed in the Immigrant Visa section.    

1)  K-1 petition is processed by USCIS same as an immigrant visa.        Normally non-immigrant visas are totally processed by the embassy ...  thus there is NO petition being processed at USCIS

2)  K-1 visa is process by ALL embassies in the Immigrant Visa Unit.  (which is why it is listed under that heading on their websites).

It isn't complicated.

Why is water wet?  Why is grass green?  Why do squirrels eat nuts?       .. my 6 year old nephews asks those questions.    And he isn't happy with the answer .. that is just the way it is.

I don't agree with your definition of complicated.  Any time the path forward is unclear, ambiguous or convoluted it is definitely complicated, IMHO.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.