kat10kat2

UK Medical Exam Question

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello! For the UK medical exam, how long does it take? My fiance lives in Northern England and has to take like a 4 hour train ride down to london. We havent booked the medical yet, but lets say it was at 11am, around how long does it last? We need to know so he can book the right train home!

Thanks in advance :)

Also, just curious before we call, anyone have any idea of how far in advance the appointments typically are? Such as, if i called tomorrow, it would be a next free appointment be in two weeks, or a month if not longer?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

It usually lasts about 90 minutes. 

I booked ours 4 weeks ahead but we were offered appointments earlier than that. They also offer slots when appointments have been cancelled so there is flexibility. For your fiance I would suggest an early afternoon appointment to allow time to get there comfortably. I booked our train home 2 hours after I expected our appointment to be finished (we traveled by underground from St Pancras and had a 10 minute walk from the tube station, to give you an idea).

Edited by fip & jim

*~*~*country-specific question moved to United Kingdom regional forum*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I think I booked mine a couple of weeks ahead. They will tell you once the Embassy has your paperwork because if the embassy doesn't have it, they can't do the medical from what I remember. If he has an 11am appointment, I would think he should be done by 1 at the very latest. So book a 3pm train home? That way he can be a tourist for an hour or two and not rush anywhere. 

Very easy medical, just take a real deep breath when doing the X-ray! 

Good luck! 

Timeline
16 minutes ago, a.t.j24 said:

I think I booked mine a couple of weeks ahead. They will tell you once the Embassy has your paperwork because if the embassy doesn't have it, they can't do the medical from what I remember. If he has an 11am appointment, I would think he should be done by 1 at the very latest. So book a 3pm train home? That way he can be a tourist for an hour or two and not rush anywhere. 

Very easy medical, just take a real deep breath when doing the X-ray! 

Good luck! 

Thanks!

Timeline
11 hours ago, fip & jim said:

It usually lasts about 90 minutes. 

I booked ours 4 weeks ahead but we were offered appointments earlier than that. They also offer slots when appointments have been cancelled so there is flexibility. For your fiance I would suggest an early afternoon appointment to allow time to get there comfortably. I booked our train home 2 hours after I expected our appointment to be finished (we traveled by underground from St Pancras and had a 10 minute walk from the tube station, to give you an idea).

thanks!

I was in and out in about 75 minutes (having got there 15 mins early for my appointment so filling out forms before they called me in for my x-ray at my actual appointment time). It was not busy at all, the place was pretty empty - only a two or three other individuals and one or two young families there. I understand if it's quite busy it can take longer, so it's luck of the draw.

edit: My appointment was for 11:30, I think I was actually out in 45 minutes because I was getting my times mixed up with my embassy interview. I was on the train home for 12:45 (booked it right after I got back to Euston from the medical)

Edited by yoda one for me

My appointment was the last one (3:30pm) on a Friday afternoon. I left at 4:40pm. 

I would suggest giving extra time, lest it runs over - if it finishes early, your fiancé can take a leisurely stroll back to St Pancras (2 miles) and stop for a coffee or pint on the way or near the station...

I booked mine a month in advance, but they had available slots for the following week...

Timeline

I was in the August 6th shipment and I booked mine on August 8th for the following week. Ceac changed to Ready on August 12th.

I had it yesterday, August 16th, and it lasted 2 hours. It would have been 90 minutes but the nurse who does the chest x-ray is the friendliest man I’ve ever met and we got into a huge conversation abiut evolution. Everyone there was just so friendly, I can’t stress that enough. 

From Bristol UK to Colorado Springs, CO. Here's to adventure!

Timeline
35 minutes ago, Jamdie said:

I was in the August 6th shipment and I booked mine on August 8th for the following week. Ceac changed to Ready on August 12th.

I had it yesterday, August 16th, and it lasted 2 hours. It would have been 90 minutes but the nurse who does the chest x-ray is the friendliest man I’ve ever met and we got into a huge conversation abiut evolution. Everyone there was just so friendly, I can’t stress that enough. 

Thanks so much for the info! Quick question that Im not sure if you will know the answer too. When you called and booked the appointment, did you need to already have your police report? His come in the mail in about two weeks or so. We wanted to call and book the appointment now, but online it says before calling to have the police thing. 

1 hour ago, kat10kat2 said:

Thanks so much for the info! Quick question that Im not sure if you will know the answer too. When you called and booked the appointment, did you need to already have your police report? His come in the mail in about two weeks or so. We wanted to call and book the appointment now, but online it says before calling to have the police thing. 

You need to take the ACRO (police certificate) to the appointment and it is one of the documents they check there. Theoretically you could book the appointment before having it, on the assumption that it’ll arrive before the appointment...however, if it doesn’t arrive in time, you’re then a bit screwed. This is why there are instructions...I would suggest following them.

Timeline
6 hours ago, kat10kat2 said:

Yes when I called they asked if I literally had it in my possession, along with the patient summary. I did the two working day ACRO report so luckily had it in my possession anyway. I know it was an extra £40 but that’s actually put me two weeks ahead of where I should be now.

Good luck with the medical and give me a shout if you have any questions! 

From Bristol UK to Colorado Springs, CO. Here's to adventure!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.