Anna Ko

Proof of living together

9 posts in this topic

Hey there,

So here is the situation... My husband and I are living in San Diego area, and a few months back we met this really nice lady who invited us to live with her for pretty cheap for SD (after we explained to her our situation, how I (the immigrant) cannot work so we don't have that much money). She lives in a mobile home community with her partner and children. This agreement was just made between us and her, and the owners of this community don't really know that we live there (We're gone most days). We just pay her monthly but we never really signed anything. How can we prove that we live together at her house? Should we just type up our own sublease or roommate (?) agreement that she, her partner and we can sign? 

TIA

Edited by Anna Ko

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Anna Ko said:

and the owners of this community don't really know that we live there

So, she isn't allowed to have "renters"?     I would be very careful if there is no agreement in writing.  I would have her create a rental agreement.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
Just now, Anna Ko said:

Do you mean it would be bad for AOS or just for her in the owners found out? 

I'm saying it sounds like she is trying to hide the fact that you are there........which is another subject........my point is that I would get a legal rental agreement signed.  That will be good for your protection and it will provide evidence for you and your husband's residence documentation for AOS....good luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

From a legal perspective, we have an old contract adage that a verbal agreement isn’t worth the paper it’s written on.

You will need some sort of signed agreement.  For immigration purposes and for your protection outside immigration. 

Where do you receive mail?  What address is on licenses?

1 minute ago, Cryssiekins said:

From a legal perspective, we have an old contract adage that a verbal agreement isn’t worth the paper it’s written on.

You will need some sort of signed agreement.  For immigration purposes and for your protection outside immigration. 

Where do you receive mail?  What address is on licenses?

We receive all mail at her house. I don't have a license here, and my husband is going to get his CA license shortly (he still has his Hawaii one)

Timeline
1 minute ago, Anna Ko said:

We receive all mail at her house. I don't have a license here, and my husband is going to get his CA license shortly (he still has his Hawaii one)

That's a piece of evidence showing you both at the same address........great.........

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Anna Ko said:

I sort of did the same thing as you guys when it came to mail.  I lived across the border in Mexico but registered my AZ license with a cousin's address in Phoenix to receive all important correspondence; registration renewals, immigration correspondence, bills, etc.  But the only difference was I had a lease agreement across the border where I was renting to back up where I lived.  

I don't know... what would you do if you were living at home with your folks and helping them with their mortgage/expenses?   I don't really believe that you would need to present a lease agreement to immigration.  If I had been living at my folks during the process I wouldn't have submitted anything other than my license that would have the address where I live. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 hours ago, Ben & Katy said:

I sort of did the same thing as you guys when it came to mail.  I lived across the border in Mexico but registered my AZ license with a cousin's address in Phoenix to receive all important correspondence; registration renewals, immigration correspondence, bills, etc.  But the only difference was I had a lease agreement across the border where I was renting to back up where I lived.  

I don't know... what would you do if you were living at home with your folks and helping them with their mortgage/expenses?   I don't really believe that you would need to present a lease agreement to immigration.  If I had been living at my folks during the process I wouldn't have submitted anything other than my license that would have the address where I live. 

Living with family is entirely different, as you could provide an affidavit explaining that.  

And again... a written lease (doesn’t have to be formal) is also for protection of OP and their spouse.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.