Courtnie Boehner

I recently noticed some mistakes on my I-130, can I get them changed without having to withdraw my application or will it be refused?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi guys! 

I’m in a bit of a dilemma..

Me and my husband have been looking into submitting a I-129F because of how much the processing times seem to be increasing, and I noticed some mistakes on my I-130! Nothing too harmless I hope.. but we’re starting to panic a little bit. 

I’ve started my Mother’s last name as her maiden, but I’ve since learnt that she never legally changed it back from her married name after my parents divorced. We’ve also accidentally stated my Father-in-law’s place of residence as the place he was born and not actually where he lives. (It’s the section where they ask for that)

Is there a way that we can get these fixed without having to withdraw the entire petition? Or can we just leave it and wait until it’s our turn to be processed? We’re starting to worry it could be refused and we don’t have the funds to pay another filing fee. 

Many help would be great!! 

Also, the forms went out of date 2 days before my husband posted our package off.. but they were signed and dated 5 days BEFORE they went out of date - will that cause issues also? 

Thanks! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I don’t think your father in laws place of residence is that important or at least not important enough to get denied. You can always call and tell them know but they are usually more interested in if your name is correct on the notice you get in the mail once they receive it and stuff like that. I didn’t put my fathers place of residence all together and was never asked anything

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Yeah, don’t worry about it. Just provide the correct info in the next step after i130 approval.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

42 minutes ago, Courtnie Boehner said:

Me and my husband have been looking into submitting a I-129F because of how much the processing times seem to be increasing

It won't do anything. They will not adjudicate the I-129F. They will wait until it's time to adjudicate the I-130 and kills the I-129F. 

43 minutes ago, Courtnie Boehner said:

I’ve started my Mother’s last name as her maiden, but I’ve since learnt that she never legally changed it back from her married name after my parents divorced. We’ve also accidentally stated my Father-in-law’s place of residence as the place he was born and not actually where he lives. (It’s the section where they ask for that)

None of that stuff is important. I wouldn't do anything right now. 

44 minutes ago, Courtnie Boehner said:

Also, the forms went out of date 2 days before my husband posted our package off.. but they were signed and dated 5 days BEFORE they went out of date - will that cause issues also?

As long as you used the most updated form on USCIS website, it is not a problem. The date on it is not an expiration date of the form itself, but it's for some internal control by the Ombusman's office. It does NOT mean the form is expired and cannot be used. 

Timeline
43 minutes ago, Dalila Gonzalez said:

I don’t think your father in laws place of residence is that important or at least not important enough to get denied. You can always call and tell them know but they are usually more interested in if your name is correct on the notice you get in the mail once they receive it and stuff like that. I didn’t put my fathers place of residence all together and was never asked anything

Okay, thank you! What about my mother’s last name? Do you think that will be okay too? 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

It won't do anything. They will not adjudicate the I-129F. They will wait until it's time to adjudicate the I-130 and kills the I-129F. 

None of that stuff is important. I wouldn't do anything right now. 

As long as you used the most updated form on USCIS website, it is not a problem. The date on it is not an expiration date of the form itself, but it's for some internal control by the Ombusman's office. It does NOT mean the form is expired and cannot be used. 

It’s no longer the most updated form, it was and we signed and dated it but 2 days before my husband posted our petition off they updated the website with a newer one. I’m hoping because it’s signed and dated before the date the new one was uploaded that we’ll be okay. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Just now, Courtnie Boehner said:

Okay, thank you! What about my mother’s last name? Do you think that will be okay too? 

On that part of it all, you sent your birth certificate so they know your mothers name, if anything they’d contact you if they have any questions but just to get it out of your mind I’d recommend calling or maybe checking if you can send them an email with your case number and all of that with an explanation 

1 hour ago, Courtnie Boehner said:

It’s no longer the most updated form, it was and we signed and dated it but 2 days before my husband posted our petition off they updated the website with a newer one. I’m hoping because it’s signed and dated before the date the new one was uploaded that we’ll be okay. 

When did you file again? If they accepted it and issued a receipt number, you're good, that means they accepted it. The it was the incorrect form, it would have been returned and the check not cashed. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
10 hours ago, Courtnie Boehner said:

Yes.  Her maiden name is the correct one to put there anyway.

If you did not use the most recent I-130 form available, it either won't matter or your whole package will be returned to you.  You did NOT use the most current one, if it's expiration date has passed, simply because the current one has an expiration date in 2021.  Being past the expiration date is not a problem.  Not using the most current one can be.  Their website does not state if they will or will not accept another version.  Typically, they won't, so expect your package back in 4 to 6 weeks.

Forget about a K3 visa.  The petitions have been processed together for 13 years and the I-129f for spouse has been killed either at NVC or or now at USCIS since 2010.  K3 is dead.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
14 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Yes.  Her maiden name is the correct one to put there anyway.

If you did not use the most recent I-130 form available, it either won't matter or your whole package will be returned to you.  You did NOT use the most current one, if it's expiration date has passed, simply because the current one has an expiration date in 2021.  Being past the expiration date is not a problem.  Not using the most current one can be.  Their website does not state if they will or will not accept another version.  Typically, they won't, so expect your package back in 4 to 6 weeks.

Forget about a K3 visa.  The petitions have been processed together for 13 years and the I-129f for spouse has been killed either at NVC or or now at USCIS since 2010.  K3 is dead.

We read the question to be that it was asking for their current legal names, so we put my Mother-in-laws last name down as her married, so is that potentially wrong? 

We we submitted the application back in February so surely we would have received it back by now if they were going to return it to us right? The form we used was the most up to date form at the time we signed it. Last time I checked the processing times  for the I-129F, they were shorter than those of the I-130 which is why we have been thinking of potentially submitting that also, but were unsure given the Adjustment of Status fee that we would have to pay should that go through quicker that our Petituon for Alien Relative. 

Timeline
23 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

When did you file again? If they accepted it and issued a receipt number, you're good, that means they accepted it. The it was the incorrect form, it would have been returned and the check not cashed. 

We filed back in February of this year and we did receive a letter with out receipt number on it. 

Timeline
On 1 August 2019 at 4:56 PM, Dalila Gonzalez said:

On that part of it all, you sent your birth certificate so they know your mothers name, if anything they’d contact you if they have any questions but just to get it out of your mind I’d recommend calling or maybe checking if you can send them an email with your case number and all of that with an explanation 

My husband has been trying to get through to an agent for the last few weeks but is left on hold for up to an hour at a time, and I can't seem to find an email address for USCIS in the States that I can contact either. I was worried that they would make us withdraw our case and redo our application.

But yes, copies of both of our birth certificates were sent with our application so I'm hoping it won't be too much of an issue when it comes our turn to be processed. 

thank you for your help! 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
5 hours ago, Courtnie Boehner said:

We read the question to be that it was asking for their current legal names, so we put my Mother-in-laws last name down as her married, so is that potentially wrong? 

We we submitted the application back in February so surely we would have received it back by now if they were going to return it to us right? The form we used was the most up to date form at the time we signed it. Last time I checked the processing times  for the I-129F, they were shorter than those of the I-130 which is why we have been thinking of potentially submitting that also, but were unsure given the Adjustment of Status fee that we would have to pay should that go through quicker that our Petituon for Alien Relative. 

Sorry, I thought you submitted it recently.  If you don't have it back, all is well.  Entering your mother's maiden name is a mistake, without any actual consequence.  Carry on.

I just got through telling you K3 visas are dead.  Submitting an I-129F for spouse is a waste of time and effort.  The immigrant visa path started by filing the I-130 is the only way that will go forward and result in any visa for your spouse.  We have a whole K3 visa forum here where K3's death has been well documented for nearly a decade.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.