makhan27

Wife’s tax’s

11 posts in this topic

In real need of help/advice 

I’m in the middle of applying of my application and come to realize my wife has never filed for taxes in the US. She’s never worked full time and not for long either. The problem is we are in the UK and she is 7 months pregnant so going to the US atm isn’t the best idea. 

Any ideas what to do regarding this?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
12 minutes ago, makhan27 said:

I’m in the middle of applying of my application and come to realize my wife has never filed for taxes in the US. She’s never worked full time and not for long either. The problem is we are in the UK and she is 7 months pregnant so going to the US atm isn’t the best idea. 

Why must you travel to the USA?  Taxes can be filed from abroad 

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
1 hour ago, makhan27 said:

Application meaning petition?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

Application meaning petition?

Meaning ds260 and all requirements post petition approval 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, makhan27 said:

For NVC, you need the last 3 years information to put on her I-864 affidavit of support. First determine if she needs to file. If she didn't work at all or didn't earn enough, then she does not have to file.

Figure out her income in US dollars earned from Jan 1-Dec 31 (the US tax year). 

2018 -? Married Filing Separately earning over $5 must file.

2017 -? Married Filing Separately earning over $4,050 must file.

2016 -? Single earning over $10,350 must file

Your profile says married in 2017, so I figured single in 2016.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Tax & Finances During US Immigration forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Thank you for all your replies guys. 

My sister in law called the IRS and they said since she never filed for taxes she needs to be in the US to receive some documents I believe. 

We have been married April2017 and she’s been living in the UK. She left her job in Feb 2017 which I believe she started in September 2015. 

Can she file from abroad as this would help. 

She is currently doing a spouse petition and we are at the NVC stage of sending all the paperwork. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 hours ago, makhan27 said:

My sister in law called the IRS and they said since she never filed for taxes she needs to be in the US to receive some documents I believe. 

We have been married April2017 and she’s been living in the UK. She left her job in Feb 2017 which I believe she started in September 2015. 

She is currently doing a spouse petition and we are at the NVC stage of sending all the paperwork. 

No need to travel to the US, she can download all forms necessary from the IRS website, even for previous years.  If she does not have her W2s from the US income or 1099s she should be able to request those from employers and they can be sent via email.  For the UK income she can use the W2 or 1099 equivalents or just estimate the income.  She will report her total world-wide income for each year on the IRS returns as required for all US citizens.  If you're in a hurry to get the US tax returns filed and have the money, it may be faster to hire an experienced accountant in the UK who specializes in IRS tax returns.  You will need the last three years of IRS tax returns for the NVC stage, or a letter of explanation for each year if her worldwide income was below the minimums required to file, before the interview can be scheduled.  Sounds like you'll also need a co-sponsor in the US.  She will also need to show US domicile and that may require that she leaves the UK and returns to the US before you get a visa and immigrate, so a period of separation is likely.  Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

Timeline
5 hours ago, makhan27 said:

Yes she can file from abroad.

You haven't said if she needs to file all three years. Did she work in the UK? You can't file anything until she gets her W2 for the US job in 2016 and figure out what was earned in the UK 2016, 17, 18. 

Thanks for the information guys.

I guess she has to file for all 3 years however she has never filed her taxes. She hasn't worked in the UK since arriving so shes been unemployed since Feb 17. We have my wife brother in law as a joint sponsor who will support my application.

So I will need her to request a W2 and to file her taxes online and then go from there if I am correct?

Timeline
9 hours ago, makhan27 said:

Thanks for the information guys.

I guess she has to file for all 3 years however she has never filed her taxes. She hasn't worked in the UK since arriving so shes been unemployed since Feb 17. We have my wife brother in law as a joint sponsor who will support my application.

So I will need her to request a W2 and to file her taxes online and then go from there if I am correct?

For her US income in 2016 and 2017 you do need a W2 which would have been mailed to her so I can't figure out why she never filed. You also need to know if her parent's claimed her as a dependent on their taxes in either of those two years. 

In 2018, she had zero income so does not file. She writes a statement (for her I-864) saying in tax year 2018, she was unemployed and earned $0.00 so was not required to file. 

You can download the tax forms for 2016 and 2017 on irs.gov, follow the separate instructions also on IRS.gov  and fill them out by hand. Then mail them. That is the free option. Pencil, eraser, and calculator is all you need. Then fill them out neatly with a pen on a clean copy. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.