Larryholmes

How long does a divorce process takes in texas

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Please can someone tell me the duration of a divorce process in Texas? And what happened if the second party refused to sign the divorce form?

Edited by Larryholmes
Spelling error

12 minutes ago, Larryholmes said:

Please can someone tell me the duration of a divorce process in Texas? And what happened if the second party refused to sign the divorce form?

60 days to years depending on whether you are contested or uncontested.  Once a judge signs the order, then and only then does the 60 day cooling off period begin 

YMMV

*** Moved to "Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits"

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made; whether it is time, money, or separation or a combination of any or all.” - NuestraUnion

my step sister was divorced and remarried (to someone else, lol)  in a matter of months.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 131

04/19/2019    Rec'd appointment letter for biometrics

05/02/2019    Biometrics

05/15/2019    Submitted initial request for EAD expedite 5/22 faxed info

06/05/2019    EAD APPROVAL!!!!!!!!!!  06/06/2019    AP Approval

06/13/2019    Combo Card Received in Mail

06/19/2019    Social Security Card received in mail

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Larryholmes said:

If you refuse to sign, they'll serve you with the divorce trial paperwork. It's up to you to show up or not. Texas only requires one person to be present for divorce. After filing, there's a 60 day "cooling off" period before the judge can sign the paperwork. Once the judge signs, there's a 30 day waiting period where you can't marry anyone besides your ex-spouse so in total if it's a clean simple divorce I would say as soon as 4-7 months.

Edited to add a month or so to the timeline in the event of holidays, lawyer or courtroom scheduling etc

Edited by celie&joseph

The Beginning 2017-2018

Spoiler

Trips                 

Late 2017: Met online via Line app

5/16/18 - 5/26/18: 1st trip - Beirut

5/24/18 - He proposed!

K1 Visa  207 days

Spoiler

K1 Visa             

9/10/18: Petition sent

9/12/18: NOA1 old

9/17/18: NOA1 new

12/1/18 - 12/16/18: 2nd trip - Beirut & Turkey

1/25/19: NOA2 paper

1/28/19: NOA2 new

2/19/19: NVC Received

2/20/19: Case # Assigned

3/5/19: In Transit

3/6/19: Paid MRV fee

3/11/19: Embassy Received/Case Ready

3/11/19: Medical

3/19/19: INTERVIEW! -  cancelled 3/13 by the Embassy

3/14/19: Embassy called to reschedule 

4/5/19: INTERVIEW 2.0! - APPROVED!

4/8/19: CEAC - Non Immigrant Application Received

4/9/19: CEAC - NIV - Administrative Processing

4/10/19: CEAC - Issued

4/12/19: VOH!

4/30/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX

AOS 2019

Spoiler

4/30/19: POE

5/10/19: Marriage

5/11/19: Sent AOS paperwork to Rapid Visa

5/22/19: Rapid Visa sent to USCIS

5/24/19: USCIS received date for AOS/EAD/AP

5/29/19: USCIS notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

6/4/19: NOA1 arrived in the mail

6/8/19: Biometrics letter arrived in the mail

6/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

6/14/19: Biometrics completed - walk in

8/6/19: "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview" status

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.