ipsofacto

Question of Citizenship Evidence

8 posts in this topic

Happy Sunday all!

Got a question that I hope is pretty simple. Long story short, I came to the US on a CR-1 visa, my ex and I divorced. Based on evidence provided I was granted with the 10-year unconditional green card (good faith waiver). Had this for a year or so now and I am now eligible to apply for citizenship. Actually going through a house move now and I was hoping I might be able to begin throwing/shredding etc stuff I had compiled from that relationship, i.e. cards (birthday, Christmas etc.), tickets, photos, etc. Most of stuff I used as documentary evidence of our relationship for the unconditional green card. There are some obvious things I should likely keep (a la divorce certificate) but is the general feeling I can begin the clear out of non-official/personal items? It's pretty tough having this stuff hidden away in a closet and for my mental health I would like to remove. I'm not planning to apply for citizenship for another six months or so but was a tad concerned that I might need this stuff for my application? 

Appreciate the help folks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, ipsofacto said:

Happy Sunday all!

Got a question that I hope is pretty simple. Long story short, I came to the US on a CR-1 visa, my ex and I divorced. Based on evidence provided I was granted with the 10-year unconditional green card (good faith waiver). Had this for a year or so now and I am now eligible to apply for citizenship. Actually going through a house move now and I was hoping I might be able to begin throwing/shredding etc stuff I had compiled from that relationship, i.e. cards (birthday, Christmas etc.), tickets, photos, etc. Most of stuff I used as documentary evidence of our relationship for the unconditional green card. There are some obvious things I should likely keep (a la divorce certificate) but is the general feeling I can begin the clear out of non-official/personal items? It's pretty tough having this stuff hidden away in a closet and for my mental health I would like to remove. I'm not planning to apply for citizenship for another six months or so but was a tad concerned that I might need this stuff for my application? 

Appreciate the help folks!

As you are no longer married to the USC spouse who petitioned you for the GC, you file for naturalisation under the 5 year rule ., which does  not require evidence of the relationship. 

However,I would make sure you retained copies of all your previous documentation and forms submitted through the process from the beginning until now .. as the naturalisation process can include a review by USCIS of everything so far ..   maybe box the extra things up and store offsite until the N400 process is complete 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hang onto it for another 2 years. It won't kill you. If for whatever reason your previous applications were to be lost by USCIS, you could re-create the evidence. And it's a lot easier to simply produce old evidence than to complain "USCIS, you have it already", should they make a request for evidence. Personally, I wouldn't destroy it even after I gained citizenship if I were you. They can always revoke a person's citizenship in certain situations. Having a complete record of all of your applications would be handy in those extreme situations. For example, if you were accused of immigration fraud and went to see an attorney about it, the first thing he/she would ask is do you have a complete copy of all your applications.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 7/21/2019 at 8:00 PM, ipsofacto said:

Appreciate the responses both of you - much appreciated. Will think this through. 

Keep it until you are done with N-400 and got your NC and US passport.  Remember, they are pieces of paper and they should not bother you as long as you were able to clear your mind of the past bad experiences.  My two cents

Again, want to thank everyone for their thoughts and recommendations. I guess the extension to my question is: I created a comprehensive photocopied document package that I sent to USCIS. Assuming I have photocopies of the following, anybody have any opinions on getting rid of the original cards (Valentines/birthdays/Christmas etc) and such (like ticket stubs and such from places we visited)? (Obviously keeping originals of any government/offices paperwork). 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Yeah, I took digital copies of all that kind of evidence and trashed the originals.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.