Jump to content
jeaniecz

Marriage requirements

10 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, my situation is this: Filed for K-1, the petition got approved and I have currently been waiting for my case to be sent to the US CG in Amsterdam. My US fiancee lives in VA, so we'll probably get married in Washington DC. I have looked up how to apply for a marriage licence https://www.usmarriagelaws.com/marriage-license/district-of-columbia/bureau/office-requirements/, seems easy-peasy.

Now the thing is: I am was born in the Czech republic and have been living in the Netherlands for the past 9 years. I do not have a Dutch passport though, I am a citizen of the Czech rep only. I never married in my home country. I was married in NL and divorced last year, this was same-sex marriage. I do have all the important papers from NL - marriage certificate, divorce certificate, registrar's record. My home country however, does NOT recognize same-sex marriage, so there is no record in the Czech registry office that I ever was married.....and cannot be, because, in their eyes, I never was.

Now I wonder if, when applying for the marriage licence in the US, will I be required to present a document from the Czech registry office?  


"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, jeaniecz said:

Hi guys, my situation is this: Filed for K-1, the petition got approved and I have currently been waiting for my case to be sent to the US CG in Amsterdam. My US fiancee lives in VA, so we'll probably get married in Washington DC. I have looked up how to apply for a marriage licence https://www.usmarriagelaws.com/marriage-license/district-of-columbia/bureau/office-requirements/, seems easy-peasy.

Now the thing is: I am was born in the Czech republic and have been living in the Netherlands for the past 9 years. I do not have a Dutch passport though, I am a citizen of the Czech rep only. I never married in my home country. I was married in NL and divorced last year, this was same-sex marriage. I do have all the important papers from NL - marriage certificate, divorce certificate, registrar's record. My home country however, does NOT recognize same-sex marriage, so there is no record in the Czech registry office that I ever was married.....and cannot be, because, in their eyes, I never was.

Now I wonder if, when applying for the marriage licence in the US, will I be required to present a document from the Czech registry office?  

No you do not need to provide a certificate of no marriage or single status.

You just need to provide marriage termination documents for any prior marriages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure that you do not run afoul of any of the document requirements, regarding marriage/non-marriage status, of the interviewing consulate in the Netherlands.  Carefully review the packet(s) and wording of the instructions you receive from the consulate.

 

Hopefully, you will be ok.

 

Good luck on your immigration journey.


Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

> Almost 2 years of our lives involved with the USCIS/DOS "shuffle" & worth every second of it ! <

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

_______________________

:idea: Read more, post less.... Google can be your friend ! :idea:

Prior apologies if I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Keep your timeline current: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pitaya (火龙果) said:

Make sure that you do not run afoul of any of the document requirements, regarding marriage/non-marriage status, of the interviewing consulate in the Netherlands.  Carefully review the packet(s) and wording of the instructions you receive from the consulate.

 

Hopefully, you will be ok.

 

Good luck on your immigration journey.

I certainly do plan to do so👍


"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Is a divorce certificate enough? For the petition I had to translate my divorce papers. I read you could also get a divorce certificate (uittreksel vd gemeente) This would save me a lot of money since the translation was 60 euros and the certificate is only 12,50.

Edited by Kaatje

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Kaatje said:

Is a divorce certificate enough? For the petition I had to translate my divorce papers. I read you could also get a divorce certificate (uittreksel vd gemeente) This would save me a lot of money since the translation was 60 euros and the certificate is only 12,50.

Ja, je kunt een internationale uittreksel aanvragen. Het kan alleen voor hetero scheidingen, btw. Ik was met een vrouw getrouwd geweest en kon geen internat.uittreksel krijgen. De ambtenaar vond het genant om mij uit te leggen dat het niet kan omdat niet alle landen homohuwelijk erkennen. 


"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, jeaniecz said:

Ja, je kunt een internationale uittreksel aanvragen. Het kan alleen voor hetero scheidingen, btw. Ik was met een vrouw getrouwd geweest en kon geen internat.uittreksel krijgen. De ambtenaar vond het genant om mij uit te leggen dat het niet kan omdat niet alle landen homohuwelijk erkennen. 

Oh fijn te horen dat een uittreksel voldoende is, thanks! Sorry to hear dat dat niet voor same-sex huwelijken geldt. Succes met je interview en visa journey!

Edited by Kaatje

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jeaniecz said:

Ja, je kunt een internationale uittreksel aanvragen. Het kan alleen voor hetero scheidingen, btw. Ik was met een vrouw getrouwd geweest en kon geen internat.uittreksel krijgen. De ambtenaar vond het genant om mij uit te leggen dat het niet kan omdat niet alle landen homohuwelijk erkennen. 

 

1 hour ago, Kaatje said:

Oh fijn te horen dat een uittreksel voldoende is, thanks! Sorry to hear dat dat niet voor same-sex huwelijken geldt. Succes met je interview en visa journey!

English only in the upper forum. You are free to use your native language in the appropriate regional section of the forum. Please reply with the English version.


“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made; whether it is time, money, or separation or a combination of any or all.” - NuestraUnion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jeaniecz said:

Ja, je kunt een internationale uittreksel aanvragen. Het kan alleen voor hetero scheidingen, btw. Ik was met een vrouw getrouwd geweest en kon geen internat.uittreksel krijgen. De ambtenaar vond het genant om mij uit te leggen dat het niet kan omdat niet alle landen homohuwelijk erkennen. 

Good to hear that an uittreksel is sufficient, thanks! Sorry to hear that same-sex marriages aren't included. Good luck with your interview!

 

(I had to reply in English and couldn't edit my former reply anymore?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heads up on all documents you get from Dutch government agencies. I they have them available in Euro/International version get those. You may end up needing them again ones you are in the US and it is much easier if they are already in English. Not really possible for you Divorce papers but it also pertains to the VOG (police certificate).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...