SARAH & T

Marriage in Algeria : Documents needed. Help!

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Algeria
Timeline
Just now, JeanneAdil said:

elhamdo lellah

then he will need a document from the IMAM at his mosque stating this

it can be signed by a notary to verify the signature  (free at most banks we do business with)

Actually, Algeria doesn't accept a document from an Imam from US unfortunately. But with some research I found a way to prove that he is muslim ( Muslim last name + marriage certificate of his parents with a muslim mahr amount ) 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
4 minutes ago, SARAH & T said:

Actually, Algeria doesn't accept a document from an Imam from US unfortunately. But with some research I found a way to prove that he is muslim ( Muslim last name + marriage certificate of his parents with a muslim mahr amount ) 

then ,  just out of curiosity,   what do they do if the person has converted and was not born a muslim? 

because unlike Islamic countries ,  we are not born into a religion,  / we choose it

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
20 minutes ago, SARAH & T said:

He is muslim, yes.

17 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

elhamdo lellah

then he will need a document from the IMAM at his mosque stating this

it can be signed by a notary to verify the signature  (free at most banks we do business with)

I believe it’s called a Shahadah certificate and is signed/witnessed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

I believe it’s called a Shahadah certificate and is signed/witnessed

she already said they do not accept one from the US

but i know in Morocco (and Algeria is very much like it for the islamic rules)  that the man had to present a document to state if he is muslim 

even a Mococcan born man whose National ID says muslim has to have this document 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

she already said they do not accept one from the US

but i know in Morocco (and Algeria is very much like it for the islamic rules)  that the man had to present a document to state if he is muslim 

even a Mococcan born man whose National ID says muslim has to have this document 

Oops

Other countries require and accept that document.  Saudi does.  Indonesia does.     My bad.

22 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

then ,  just out of curiosity,   what do they do if the person has converted and was not born a muslim? 

because unlike Islamic countries ,  we are not born into a religion,  / we choose it

I had the same question

Filed: Other Country: Algeria
Timeline

The ministry of religious affairs in Algeria told me that they don't accept a document from Masjeeds (Mosque) in US. They only accept ones from France and England (if I'm not mistaken). When I told them that my soon to be husband has a Muslim first name and last name they told me to bring his and his parents birth certificates.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
On 7/16/2019 at 8:50 AM, SARAH & T said:

They told me that my marriage won't be valid if I get married in Tunisia and that I need to be a resident there to be able to get married.

Who told you your marriage will not be valid?  If you are married (and have the certificate) then the marriage is valid....

I looked at all options while engaged to my Algerian fiancé....the Algerian government will recognize a marriage that takes place outside of Algeria.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
On 7/16/2019 at 9:21 AM, SARAH & T said:

That's what an officer at the city hall told me. I'll still be single for them

The officer did not give you the all the information....you can get married anywhere but you have to register that marriage in Algeria.....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
On 7/16/2019 at 11:13 AM, SARAH & T said:

The ministry of religious affairs in Algeria told me that they don't accept a document from Masjeeds (Mosque) in US. They only accept ones from France and England (if I'm not mistaken). When I told them that my soon to be husband has a Muslim first name and last name they told me to bring his and his parents birth certificates.

That's not true. They aren't being honest.  I am a revert and married my Algerian husband there. I had a simple letter written by my Imam in Texas with two witness' signatures to prove my shehada. I had no trouble with any gvmnt agency, religious or foreign ministry. Unfortunately Algeria is full of people in those jobs who change the rules according to who they want. 

There is a big mosque in Chevalley, near Algiers, that does official shehada certificates for reverts. You might have your fiance ask. 

• Spoiler

• Met 09/2016
    • Engaged 11/2016
    • Moved to Algiers, Algeria 03/17/2017
    • Married in Algeria 07/26/2017
    • Decided to relocate back to the US in 08/2018
    • Currently still living in Algeria as of 09/20/2018
    • Mailed petition to FL to be sent by friend to USCIS 09/23/2018
    • Petition sent to Chicago Lockbox 09/27/2018
    • USPS shows Petition delivered to Chicago Lockbox 09/29/2018

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
On 8/22/2019 at 7:36 AM, Oceane said:

Is there anyone who has received an interview letter for September from Algeria?

We're still early in the USCIS stages (haven't even got to NVC stage yet)- but I'm curious about your timeline? I'm guessing you are waiting for the letter? Have you been waiting for a long time? Have you tried contacting them? you should add your timeline to your account too!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.