Woodhouse16

Just got my 'Priority Date' for I-130 but confused on next steps

23 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I am new to Visa Journey so apologies if this has been brought up before.

So I have applied for an I-130 Spouse visa as a Permanent Resident. I just got my Priority date of 28 June 2019. 

I have read conflicting things online about the next steps. I want to go to Thailand for 5 months but I am not sure if I need to be in the US for a possible interview. As I am applying for an I 130 as a permanent resident I know it is a longer wait than if I was a citizen so I not sure if that means there will be no action on this case for a year or so. Or if the next part of the process could happen soon.

If you could tell me the next steps and when I can expect them to happen that would be great.

I sent the petition to Pheonix if that helps.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Woodhouse16 said:

Hi All,

I am new to Visa Journey so apologies if this has been brought up before.

So I have applied for an I-130 Spouse visa as a Permanent Resident. I just got my Priority date of 28 June 2019. 

I have read conflicting things online about the next steps. I want to go to Thailand for 5 months but I am not sure if I need to be in the US for a possible interview. As I am applying for an I 130 as a permanent resident I know it is a longer wait than if I was a citizen so I not sure if that means there will be no action on this case for a year or so. Or if the next part of the process could happen soon.

If you could tell me the next steps and when I can expect them to happen that would be great.

I sent the petition to Pheonix if that helps.

Thanks

I assume your spouse is oversea, right? So the first thing that has to happen is the I-130 has to be approved. It will take USCIS 8-12 months to approve that. Then, the petition will be transfer to the National Visa Center (NVC). If at that time, there is a visa number available, NVC will contact you to start the process of submitting documents for your spouse and getting an interview. To check if there is visa number available: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin.html. Your category is F2A Spouses and Children of Permanent Residents. 

There is not an interview for you in the US. 

Thanks @USS_Voyager

That is very helpful, my wife is currently in the US with me, she is on a tourist visa so will be leaving back to Peru shortly.

8-12 months seems ideal, meaning my wife and I could travel for 5 months from September and get back around the time the I-130 would be approved to go to the next step.

Good to know there is no interview for me in the US.

Thanks Again.

1 more question I had, not sure if you know the answer, would my wife be allowed to physically work in the US on a tourist visa, she is an online English teacher and owns her own business, she wouldn't be coming here to get work or taking work away from US residents but she would just be teaching her existing Peruvian students from this location online. It seems to be a gray area from what I have read so far.

6 minutes ago, Woodhouse16 said:

1 more question I had, not sure if you know the answer, would my wife be allowed to physically work in the US on a tourist visa, she is an online English teacher and owns her own business, she wouldn't be coming here to get work or taking work away from US residents but she would just be teaching her existing Peruvian students from this location online. It seems to be a gray area from what I have read so far.

The short answer is no. 

And the long answer is still no. She has to be authorized to work in the jurisdiction that she physically lives in. When she's in the US, she has to be authorized to work in the US. It doesn't matter what she does, online or offline, taking work away or not, who pays her, foreign or domestic company.... 

6 minutes ago, HRQX said:

It's a gray area; correct:

It is ONLY a "grey" area if the person concerned is an immediate relative of a US citizen and gets forgiven unauthorized work, overstays etc.

In this case it is someone who can be denied AOS for unauthorized work. I personally know someone (not someone on the internet, an actual real life good friend) who was in this exact position, thinking working remotely and getting paid offshore was OK, and it wasn't. She had to jump though some major legal hoops, including leaving the US, to regularize her status. Not worth the risk for OP and his wife.

Edited by SusieQQQ

1 hour ago, Woodhouse16 said:

The processing time for a LPR petition of spouse is much longer  ~ 19 to 24.5 months

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

50 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

It is ONLY a "grey" area if the person concerned is an immediate relative of a US citizen and gets forgiven unauthorized work, overstays etc.

In this case it is someone who can be denied AOS for unauthorized work. I personally know someone (not someone on the internet, an actual real life good friend) who was in this exact position, thinking working remotely and getting paid offshore was OK, and it wasn't. She had to jump though some major legal hoops, including leaving the US, to regularize her status. Not worth the risk for OP and his wife.

28 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

I maintain it's not. The US has jurisdiction of people living on its soils, and if the US says you have to have work authorization in order to work in the US, you have to have work authorization to work in the US. It's that simple. 

Cite the relevant section of the INA and/or case law that explicitly prohibits what OP brought up.

Edited by HRQX

1 minute ago, Woodhouse16 said:

Thanks All

@Paul & Mary

How do I know which service center to look for. I send the petition to Phoenix and I live in South Florida. It says 5 options, California, Nebraska, Potomac, Texas or Vermont?

How can I find out which applies to me?

It based on your receipt number.   However historically they get adjudicated  in California.   Phoenix is just a mailing address.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

1 hour ago, HRQX said:

Cite the relevant section of the INA and/or case law that explicitly prohibits what OP brought up.

My friend's lawyer found it for sure. 

Be careful what you suggest for people for whom there is no recourse. It is a whole different playing field for IR visas vs FB visas.

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, HRQX said:

I'm not suggesting OP to do one or the other. Fact of the matter, it's a gray area.

It's a gray area however for people who are adjusting based on a USC- there is no penalty if USCIS decides the work was unauthorized it is forgiven. For this case it would not be forgiven and could turn into a massive issue. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.