4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Long time listener, first time caller here(!).

My fiance and I live are applying for our K1 in Ho Chi Minh City. I am the beneficiary (UK). We are both English teachers living in Vietnam.

We have sent off the DS-160 and are finalising documents for the interview.

I have two questions surrounding the Affidavit of Support (my fiance's mother has agreed to co-sponsor, given that my fiance lives in Vietnam with me, does not have a job in the US, nor a homeowner etc.)

1) Does the co-sponsor (my fiance's mother) fill out a I-134 or I-864? My understanding is that I-864 was just for AOS further down the line, but we don't want to be tripped up at interview time.

2) Does my fiance also have to fill out a I-134 even though she does not clear the requirements? (And therefore also submit W-2s, IRS returns etc) Or can you just do it with one sponsor?

many thanks for your support.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
9 hours ago, dixxy92 said:

Hi all,

Long time listener, first time caller here(!).

My fiance and I live are applying for our K1 in Ho Chi Minh City. I am the beneficiary (UK). We are both English teachers living in Vietnam.

We have sent off the DS-160 and are finalising documents for the interview.

I have two questions surrounding the Affidavit of Support (my fiance's mother has agreed to co-sponsor, given that my fiance lives in Vietnam with me, does not have a job in the US, nor a homeowner etc.)

1) Does the co-sponsor (my fiance's mother) fill out a I-134 or I-864? My understanding is that I-864 was just for AOS further down the line, but we don't want to be tripped up at interview time. See below

2) Does my fiance also have to fill out a I-134 even though she does not clear the requirements? (And therefore also submit W-2s, IRS returns etc) Or can you just do it with one sponsor? See below

many thanks for your support.

Welcome to the forum. Please be sure to avail yourself of all of the great information and services available on this site. 

For example, the forum Google search function is a fantastic tool that allows you access to literally thousands of forum threads. I inserted the term "I-134 Vietnam" in the search field and within seconds I received almost 1,500 listings. Here is one of the first threads that seem to directly speak fo your first question: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/657724-i-134-or-i-864-for-vietnam-us-embassy/ .  Google can also be your friend!

With regards to your second question, the petitioner is always the primary sponsor, and as such, much also fill out a Form I-134. That is in addition to your co-sponsor. Some consulates restrict the use of co-sponsors (i.e., The Philippines), suggest that you check in at the Vietnam Regional Forum, https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/136-vietnam/ for more country-specific info. I am not sure of any restrictions at the HCMC consulate. Another good source of info about the interviewing embassy/consulate is the country- specific portal, https://www.visajourney.com/portals/index.php?country=Vietnam ,

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

11 hours ago, Pitaya (火龙果) said:

Welcome to the forum. Please be sure to avail yourself of all of the great information and services available on this site. 

For example, the forum Google search function is a fantastic tool that allows you access to literally thousands of forum threads. I inserted the term "I-134 Vietnam" in the search field and within seconds I received almost 1,500 listings. Here is one of the first threads that seem to directly speak fo your first question: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/657724-i-134-or-i-864-for-vietnam-us-embassy/ .  Google can also be your friend!

With regards to your second question, the petitioner is always the primary sponsor, and as such, much also fill out a Form I-134. That is in addition to your co-sponsor. Some consulates restrict the use of co-sponsors (i.e., The Philippines), suggest that you check in at the Vietnam Regional Forum, https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/136-vietnam/ for more country-specific info. I am not sure of any restrictions at the HCMC consulate. Another good source of info about the interviewing embassy/consulate is the country- specific portal, https://www.visajourney.com/portals/index.php?country=Vietnam ,

Thank you so much. We've seen conflicting information, in fact the ONLY time we've seen where you need an I-864 is from an email from the consulate themselves, in a reply to our query. Given that there were different fonts all over the email, we thought it might be a mistake and we've received a template response from someone who has confused us with another visa. Or, I thought, wow they're just making it harder - better do it anyway!

Still not quite sure, have sent another query to them...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
10 hours ago, dixxy92 said:

Thank you so much. We've seen conflicting information, in fact the ONLY time we've seen where you need an I-864 is from an email from the consulate themselves, in a reply to our query. Given that there were different fonts all over the email, we thought it might be a mistake and we've received a template response from someone who has confused us with another visa. Or, I thought, wow they're just making it harder - better do it anyway!

Still not quite sure, have sent another query to them...

I would suggest that you follow the instructions of the consulate. You are in their realm at this time. It sounds like they have changed their requirements. I have heard that HCMC consulate can be tough.

Well, one way to look at it, you will have experience with filling out the I-864. You will need for provide another set of I-864s when going through the next phase of your immigration journey, Adjustment of Status (AOS). But, don't worry about that just yet. Right now I would suggest that concentrate your focus on having a successful interview. :thumbs:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.