barashka

Adjustment of status interview translator

19 posts in this topic

Hello folks. I am my wife's interpreter. Her English has drastically improved and she understands SO much compared to when she first arrived. However, her comfort level with actually speaking English is not as high as her ability to understand. I am bilingual myself thanks to my parents teaching me my ethnic language (Russian). Can I translate for her or does she need a non-related interpreter to translate her responses during her adjustment of status interview? I believe she will be able to understand most of the interviewer's questions but I don't know how well she can actually respond to them. Please let me know what you guys know. Any advice, suggestions and/or comments will be greatly appreciated.

This question appears fairly often.

Basically, to be an interpreter for the AOS interview, one needs to be a neutral party. The IO can reject anybody they believe has a stake in the result of the interview/adjudication. As both their spouse and petitioner, you are not explicitly prohibited, but it's not a logical conclusion that you would meet that bar. You have a large stake in the result.

If they really need an interpreter, find a truly neutral party.

Reference: https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-2449/0-0-0-2798.html

"3. Impartial and Unbiased Individual

The interpreter must be impartial and able to interpret without bias. An impartial and unbiased individual is one who does not have a predisposition or preconceived opinion about a matter. A predisposition or preconceived opinion may prevent the individual from interpreting information accurately, literally and fully or making a reliable interpreter declaration."

As to whether they need an interpreter or not, usually the case is "no". There are cases where people have tripped up and misunderstood a question being asked, but most immigrants with ESL experience go through the interview fine.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Great! Thanks for the quick and simple responses. I will get a neutral interpreter so my wife's answers can be translated. I just don't foresee her being able to answer questions comfortably in English (even though I am sure she will understand them just fine). She understands English much better than she speaks it.

By the way, where would one obtain an interpreter? How does one go about that? Since I can't be the interpreter, I'll need one now (because of the USCIS requiring an impartial and unbiased individual).

3 hours ago, barashka said:

By the way, where would one obtain an interpreter? How does one go about that? Since I can't be the interpreter, I'll need one now (because of the USCIS requiring an impartial and unbiased individual).

Google?

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:40 PM, geowrian said:

This question appears fairly often.

Basically, to be an interpreter for the AOS interview, one needs to be a neutral party. The IO can reject anybody they believe has a stake in the result of the interview/adjudication. As both their spouse and petitioner, you are not explicitly prohibited, but it's not a logical conclusion that you would meet that bar. You have a large stake in the result.

If they really need an interpreter, find a truly neutral party.

Reference: https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-2449/0-0-0-2798.html

"3. Impartial and Unbiased Individual

The interpreter must be impartial and able to interpret without bias. An impartial and unbiased individual is one who does not have a predisposition or preconceived opinion about a matter. A predisposition or preconceived opinion may prevent the individual from interpreting information accurately, literally and fully or making a reliable interpreter declaration."

As to whether they need an interpreter or not, usually the case is "no". There are cases where people have tripped up and misunderstood a question being asked, but most immigrants with ESL experience go through the interview fine.

Thank you for the informative response. I appreciate your help.

On 7/2/2019 at 8:46 AM, barashka said:

https://www.daytranslations.com/services/immigration/immigration-interview

30 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Thank you! They seem to be a great option. I appreciate your help.

If she understands English pretty well, I doubt she will really need an interpreter. Most of my interview was just about the forms and making sure everything was correct. I didn't need to say much more than "good morning", "yes", "no", "correct", "thank you".

4 minutes ago, MariekeH said:

If she understands English pretty well, I doubt she will really need an interpreter. Most of my interview was just about the forms and making sure everything was correct. I didn't need to say much more than "good morning", "yes", "no", "correct", "thank you".

Really? Interesting. Yes, she understands pretty well. I would say she understands at a moderate level. I believe in my wife and her ability to actually understand the interviewer's questions. She has improved so much since her arrival. She can't speak or respond well, though. Thanks for your input!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline
2 hours ago, barashka said:

Really? Interesting. Yes, she understands pretty well. I would say she understands at a moderate level. I believe in my wife and her ability to actually understand the interviewer's questions. She has improved so much since her arrival. She can't speak or respond well, though. Thanks for your input!

I would not take any chances with whether or not she will be able to understand/respond.  Our interpreter cost $120, and it was worth the money to remove all doubt and danger of miscommunication.  Honestly, I could have done a better job of interpreting than she did, but I'm not a neutral party, so what can you do?  I mean, it's not cheap, but it's the LAST STEP in your immigration saga, why risk it?

2018 K1 Filing to Approval: 322 days (RFE 29 Days)

Spoiler

I-129F mailed: Jan 26 2018

NOA1: Jan 29 2018 (old site), Feb 2 2018 (new site)

RFE: Aug 30 2018 (old site updated 8/30; new site 8/31 w/email and text)

RFE hard copy: rec'd 9/4; ret'd 9/6 (old site updated 9/7; new site 9/10, no text/email)

NOA2: Oct 5 2018 [249 days]  (old site updated 10/5; new site 10/7, no text/email)

Case #: Oct 31 2018 [27 days] (called to get number, no email from NVC)

Left NVC: Nov 13 2018 

Consulate Rec'd (DHL): Nov 19 2018

CEAC 'Ready' status: Nov 29 2018

Interview: Dec 17 2018 [Approved!]

POE: Jan 10 2019 [Los Angeles]

Marriage: Jan 12 2019 :wub::dance:

2019 AOS Filing to Approval: 81 Days (No RFE, No Expedite)

Spoiler

AOS Mailed: Feb 19 2019

NOA1: Feb 25 2019 (I-485, I-765, I-131)

Biometrics Appt. Letter Rcv'd: Mar 8 2019

Biometrics Appointment: Mar 20 2019

Recv'd Interview Appt. Notice: Apr 15 2019 [I-485] (ready to schedule 4/10, scheduled 4/11; old site)

Interview: May 17 2019 [Cleveland, OH]

Approved: May 17 2019  :dance:

Green Card Received: May 24 2019

2021 ROC Filing to Approval: 534 Days (LIN; No RFE, No Interview)

Spoiler

ROC Mailed: Mar 5 2021 (delivered 3/12)

NOA1: Apr 5 2021 (txt rcvd 4/7, check cashed 4/7, mail rcvd 4/9) 

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Apr 30 2021

Approved: Sep 21 2022 :dance:

Green Card Received: Sep 28 2022

2022 N400 Filing to Oath: 154 Days (Cleveland Field Office; No RFE)

Spoiler

N400 Submitted: Jun 16 2022 (online)

NOA1: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Interview Scheduled: Sep 6 2022 (cancelled due to A-file not arrived in time)

Interview Re-scheduled: Oct 21 2022

Approved: Oct 21 2022 :dance:

Oath Ceremony: Nov 16 2022 :wow:🇺🇸

event.png

2 hours ago, barashka said:

If she feels more confident with an interpreter and you can afford, go for it. But my interview was very simple, and I really did not have to do much talking. It was much easier than my K1 interview.

Plus, the AOS interview will usually be with both of you. While you can't interpret for her, you will be able to help. I was so nervous that I couldn't remember our wedding date when the officer asked me. My husband answered for me, and we all just laughed about it. 

You can help her prepare by going over the forms with her and talking about the questions. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.