DeeJF

New Last Name as Petitioner

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi all,

I thought I had this down, but then watched a Youtube video of someone assembling their package and I'm now second guessing. I am a female US Petitioner and have changed my last name to my husband's. On my first round of K-1 Visa forms I had my original last name. On this round of AOS forms, am I able to put my name exactly as it will appear on my new social security card? I kept my middle name the same, but this youtube video said I should put my previous last name as my middle name. That seems weird as none of my IDs will match that in the future. 

Also, my passport is not yet updated so it shows my original last name. But the marriage certificate shows I am changing that. 

Thank you!!

Filed: Timeline

Sometimes watching videos will confuse you more then help... On the 485 fill in the name you WANT to appear on your GC and SS card (and DL). If you are taking your husbands last name enter it. You will get your EAD and AP in that name as well (if you fill out those forms with the new name as well). Your passport wont match until you update it with the issuing country. Its OK to travel using mismatched names as long as you have proof (marriage certificate) of the name change. Eventually you will want to get your passport fixed to match. 

16 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

Sometimes watching videos will confuse you more then help... On the 485 fill in the name you WANT to appear on your GC and SS card (and DL). If you are taking your husbands last name enter it. You will get your EAD and AP in that name as well (if you fill out those forms with the new name as well). Your passport wont match until you update it with the issuing country. Its OK to travel using mismatched names as long as you have proof (marriage certificate) of the name change. Eventually you will want to get your passport fixed to match. 

OP says she’s the USC petitioner, so the above doesn’t apply.

I am also the petitioner, and I changed my name on my SS card, but I haven’t yet gotten a new passport.  We actually used my maiden name on the AOS forms, but of course the marriage certificate has both.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Think of AOS as starting over. Your visa days...names, addresses, etc have changed.

Make you AOS applications reflect the names you will go forward with. A married person can take the surname of the spouse. The USCIS knows you are newlyweds and all your older documents would have had maiden names or whatever. They see this day in and day out.

The OP petitioner does not have to use her maiden name, nor does she have to drop her middle name in favor of her maiden name.  Think about this, several years from now when your spouse applies for Removing Conditions and then citizenship, are you going to still be using the name from when you were single person filing a K1 petition. Use your new name now. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: Timeline
52 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

OP says she’s the USC petitioner, so the above doesn’t apply.

I am also the petitioner, and I changed my name on my SS card, but I haven’t yet gotten a new passport.  We actually used my maiden name on the AOS forms, but of course the marriage certificate has both.

I read it as she is the immigrant petitioner for AOS.

1 hour ago, Villanelle said:

Shes a female petitioner.

2 hours ago, DeeJF said:

Hi all,

I thought I had this down, but then watched a Youtube video of someone assembling their package and I'm now second guessing. I am a female US Petitioner and have changed my last name to my husband's. On my first round of K-1 Visa forms I had my original last name. On this round of AOS forms, am I able to put my name exactly as it will appear on my new social security card? I kept my middle name the same, but this youtube video said I should put my previous last name as my middle name. That seems weird as none of my IDs will match that in the future. 

Also, my passport is not yet updated so it shows my original last name. But the marriage certificate shows I am changing that. 

Thank you!!

The video you watched was probably posted by someone who's cultural tradition is to use the maiden name as a middle name after marriage. It's common in the Philippines. Is that the tradition of your culture? If not you wont be following it.

You will input your new married name as your legal name on your spouses AOS forms and include your maiden name as other names used. 

Your updated SSN will state your new married name which is your legal name and then change your DL name after that. 

Your maiden name passport can be used in collaboration with your MC until you can update it so think of them as one document proving your legal name when travelling and also when being used to prove your US Citizenship.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.