bbeaan

Divorce before expiration of conditional Green Card advice

22 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Daphne K said:

It depends on the evidence that you can bring to prove a bona fide marriage and how they will look at it at the interview. I don;t think that anybody can predict how it will go.

I think your first concern now should be to get the divorce going?

Hi,

Yes, that’s the next thing I’m going to do. But it doesn’t mean I am not thinking about my future options.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
29 minutes ago, bbeaan said:

But do you guys think o have chances to be approved for permanent GC? Or most likely I have to go back now?

The approval depends on if the marriage was bonafide not because why the divorce happened. You think you have good evidences of bonafide marriage, you are highly likely to be approved.

Ratting out your husband does NOT help your case or your husband’s addiction in any way. 

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

10 minutes ago, arken said:

The approval depends on if the marriage was bonafide not because why the divorce happened. You think you have good evidences of bonafide marriage, you are highly likely to be approved.

Ratting out your husband does NOT help your case or your husband’s addiction in any way. 

Please call things by their names. As I said I am NOT trying to make his life difficult. I wish him all the best! I want him to be truly happy even if it’s the weed which makes him happy. 

And I asked if I can say the truth without affecting future life of my spouse.

My biggest concern about this whole situation that in our rental profile there is a note now that someone is smoking marijuana in our apartment. And if it comes up eventually to USCIS what is going to happen? Because I don’t smoke weed and can do drug test anytime but is it comes up and I didn’t mention would it be considered as lying?? 

Also he is US citizen, why could it even affect him??? He lives in the state where it’s legal, I think he even used to have medical permit or so..

I care about my husband and yes I do love him but I also care about ME. 

And as I understood along with a petition and prove I have to provide a letter to uscis with my marriage details. And the reason I decided to divorce. 

I am going to consult with a lawyer tomorrow. Thanks to everyone.

If your interviewing officer directly asks you if you smoke you can say no. If they ask if your (ex) husband smokes you have to tell the truth. 

Again I'm not aware that you need to write a letter. Don't make things too complicated. In the form itself you indicate whether this is a joint petition or with a divorce waiver. Then you'll provide the copy of the divorce decree. 

Edited by little immigrant

Smoking marijuana in a property where it’s legal on a state level (are you in Oregon?) is not going to be an issue for USCIS. It’s the landlord who has said you can’t smoke there. Just the same as the landlord can say “no pets” or “no noise after 10 pm”. His house, his rules. Your husband has, at most, broken a house rule. He hasn’t broken the law. It’s no different from having a dog in an apartment where the landlord has said “no pets”. It’s not illegal. It’s just against the homeowner’s wishes. USCIS doesn’t get involved in personal disputes between landlords and tenants. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Non conductive post removed. Stick to answering the Op~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 2 weeks later...

Situation is going crazy.... He keeps texting dirty messages with some girls on dating apps, also to some girls from his past and I can't believe he is doing that to me! We were supposed to fly out to his sister's wedding next week and he said he doesn't care if I go, I can just stay. But we started to talk and we have sex still... You know I hate myself sometimes though I understand with my brain I have to move on but its so hard... I know I shouldn't even sleep in one bed with him but I can't resist myself... Even him having such a bad habit... I am finding him excuses and I just keep asking myself a question why??? what did I do wrong? Why did I deserve this? 

Besides losing my husband I am of course scared to lose my permanent residency... What are my chances with what I have:

I met my husband in USA on exchange program in 2014, we worked in the same place

Then I came again in 2015 we worked in the same place.

We didn't make any photos because I couldn't even imagine I could get married to him it seemed unreal for me. But his and mine tax return for these years has the same work place.

We kept talking and he came to visit me in the beginning of 2017 and proposed

He filed for K1 visa and I moved to USA in December 2017

We went to visit his family for Christmas and New Year to his state and once we got back we got married in January 2018

We had interview in June 2018 and we didn't have much evidence as we lived with a roommate (he wrote a letter for us) and I couldn't work. Just photos plan tickets to visit his family, texts

Though he added me to his credit card in June 2018.

In September we went to visit my family back to my country and have photos from my brothers wedding.

In October we had a joint credit card account and joint checking account.

I also started to work in October and added him to my company's health insurance.

As I started to work we rent our own place without any roommates in October 2018. We have a lease together since then.

All utilities on both our names.

We filed tax return together for 2018.

We have lots of photos and texts together

So in total:

We have joint lease since October

Joint utilities bills

Joint checking account since October (we pay for rent with that half and half, so transfer money there every month)

Joint credit card since October

Tickets to my country

Tickets to his state for next month

Joint tax return

Lots of photos, concert photos where we went together

And my friends can write statements...

I AM CONFUSED because we are married only for 1,5 years and I am a resident just for a year...

Text messages

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.