2,900 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. Do you know how disheartening it is to hear that you don’t have a case. If I don’t have a black and blue eye, I don’t have a case? What about the heartache of having to walk from room to room to escape my husband’s harassment. What about having to lock myself in the bathroom to escape his wrath. What about his verbal threats? What about him isolating my daughter in a room and after getting her out of his apartment isolating me in that same room? What about leaving for over a week and not leaving groceries for me and my daughter. We both started to lose weight.  What about controlling me to the extent that I can’t get out of the apartment  and go for walks or even go to the gym at the apartment complex or take calls from my family if I’m not talking to them in front of him. What about forcing himself onto me sexually after being told no and using his hands to do sexual things against my will? My husband admitted to seeing other females and When I had that weird yeast infection and went to get tested my husband repeatedly insisted on having unprotected sex with me. I told him I can’t have unprotected sex and he threatened me with a divorce. My husband was so possessive he would monitor my social media accounts and harassed my friends on social media if he calls my phone and didn’t get through. He would contact them and tell them I’m cheating on him and tell them to tell me our relationship is over. Then he would go back and apologize to them. My husband pushed me once and I had to call the cops on him because of that and his verbal threats. There wasn’t any physical scar but I could on and on because the emotional, psychological, sexual and mental scar will last for a while. 

Edited by Dordor1

1 minute ago, Dordor1 said:

Hello everyone. Do you know how disheartening it is to hear that you don’t have a case. If I don’t have a black and blue eye, I don’t have a case? What about the heartache of having to walk from room to room to escape my husband’s harassment. What about having to lock myself in the bathroom to escape his wrath. What about his verbal threats? What about him isolating my daughter in a room and after getting her out of his apartment isolating me in that same room? What about leaving for over a week and not leaving groceries for me and my daughter. We both started to lose weight.  What about controlling me to the extent that I can’t get out of the apartment  and go for walks or even go to the gym at the apartment complex or take calls from my family if I’m not talking to them in front of him. What about forcing himself onto me sexually after being told no and using his hands to do sexual things against my will? My husband admitted to seeing other females and When I had that weird yeast infection and went to get tested my husband repeatedly insisted on having unprotected sex with me. I told him I can’t have unprotected sex and he threatened me with a divorce. My husband was so possessive he would monitor my social media accounts and harassed my friends on social media if he calls my phone and didn’t get through. He would contact them and tell them I’m cheating on him and tell them to tell me our relationship is over. Then he would go back and apologize to them. My husband pushed me once and I had to call the cops on him because of that and his verbal threats. There wasn’t any physical scar but the emotional, psychological, sexual and mental scar will last for a while. 

I will give you my humble opinion. Take out the cheating and you can have a case. All you have wrote here sounds like emotional, psychological, verbal and sexual abuse. Gather the police report, medical record, call the dv hotline and ask them to refer you to dv counseling. Write a very detailed affidavit. Write down how you find out you were infected and how that has impacted you mentally. How the abuse has affected you. Get affidavits from people who know you both.There is a website where you can find samples of how to write an affidavit. I will give you the link.  Gather all the other evidence and you might have a good chance. Just do it! Everyone here has different experiences and cases. Push through. Just don’t emphasizes on his cheating.  Focus Focus on the “abuse”

FYI: I didn’t suffer  any physical abuse. It was psychological, emotional and verbal abuse. I didn’t pay for an evaluation. I called the DV hotline and I was given the phone number of organizations that provide services. I met with a counselor several times and she just wrote me a letter saying I was coming in for counseling to deal with the abuse that I had suffer etc. Like I say we all have different cases. Just do what you got to do.  I was approved back in August 2018. 

Here is the link. This is the step by step guide for I360. The guide was my bible. I just wrote a 5 pages affidavit and I’m not advising anyone to do that. I just want you to understand that everyone has different experiences and cases. 

https://www.ilrc.org/sites/default/files/documents/document_gathering_for_self-petitioning_under_the_violence_against_women_act.pdf

Edited by Goyo

24 minutes ago, Goyo said:

Here is the link. This is the step by step guide for I360. The guide was my bible. I just wrote a 5 pages affidavit and I’m not advising anyone to do that. I just want you to understand that everyone has different experiences and cases. 

https://www.ilrc.org/sites/default/files/documents/document_gathering_for_self-petitioning_under_the_violence_against_women_act.pdf

Thank you so much dear and congrats on your approval. You give me hope. Are you saying that a 5 page affidavit is little? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Liberia
Timeline
On 7/16/2019 at 12:37 PM, bengolo said:

I apologize i did not explain correct my history with VAWA 

Forms I-131,I-360,I-485,I-765 february 1st 2019 accepted by USCIS

After they received the forms  3 weeks later i ve been on biometrics 

March 2019 USCIS ask for additional evidence (asking for fingerprints for FBI )

May 2019 I-131 form (travel document ) approved together with I-765 c-31 form (Employment authorization card) 

June 2019 where mailed and received from my attorney  ( i picked up )

July 2nd 2019   i got notification for I-360 form said (New card is being produced )

My question is "what card is being produced" is it again  Employment authorization card or something else 

zimbalo

Congratulations. I do have a question, so you received your EAD C09 and your travel document and now your VAWA has been approved already? You also got approval for EAD under C31? Are they approving VAWA this fast now?

41 minutes ago, Dordor1 said:

Thank you so much dear and congrats on your approval. You give me hope. Are you saying that a 5 page affidavit is little? 

There are people who wrote 10-20 o even more pages it depends on experiences. Focus on content and details. Keep your faith up. 

Edited by Goyo

45 minutes ago, Dordor1 said:

Yes, this resource is very comprehensive, detailed and thorough. However, I would suggest that you also meet and consult with an attorney in person. There are a lot of pro bono attorneys or  ones based on your ability to pay. You mentioned a child too. Make sure you change your addrress, I think you have to update it within a certain timeline with Uscis. There are a lot of resources for survivors of DV. Look into your state. There is diverse range of services available, including shelter, counseling, they can help you file for divorce and custody as well as give you advice pertaining to  immigration related policies and help you file your case. Most important thing is to reach out and look for the services you need, including legal and immigration related and finding a reliable attorney to file paperwork early. Please trust and follow Sandra’s advice, she really knows her stuff. 

Edited by namastenyc

Also, if the c31 based EAD card is expiring in Jan 2020, do I still to file for an extension or will it automatically be extended by 180 days? If I file an extension, when is the best time to do that? Aug - Sep? I hear EAD cards are now taking 5-6 months to process. 

Also, since there has not been no updates in my case after VAWA approval, no courtesy letter or request for medical letter or interview letter, should I just go ahead and ask for an EAD extension till my case I-485 case gets adjudicated?

Assuming that it typically takes 8-12 months to get GC after VAWA approval, the earliest I can expect is Dec 2019 or April 2020. 

Any 2017 filers here? Anyone who also  filed around Aug 2017? Did you get any updates about the next steps after vawa approval? Just wanted to share notes. 

Thank you! Have a wonderful evening, everyone! 

Edited by namastenyc

1 hour ago, Dordor1 said:

Hello everyone. Do you know how disheartening it is to hear that you don’t have a case. If I don’t have a black and blue eye, I don’t have a case? What about the heartache of having to walk from room to room to escape my husband’s harassment. What about having to lock myself in the bathroom to escape his wrath. What about his verbal threats? What about him isolating my daughter in a room and after getting her out of his apartment isolating me in that same room? What about leaving for over a week and not leaving groceries for me and my daughter. We both started to lose weight.  What about controlling me to the extent that I can’t get out of the apartment  and go for walks or even go to the gym at the apartment complex or take calls from my family if I’m not talking to them in front of him. What about forcing himself onto me sexually after being told no and using his hands to do sexual things against my will? My husband admitted to seeing other females and When I had that weird yeast infection and went to get tested my husband repeatedly insisted on having unprotected sex with me. I told him I can’t have unprotected sex and he threatened me with a divorce. My husband was so possessive he would monitor my social media accounts and harassed my friends on social media if he calls my phone and didn’t get through. He would contact them and tell them I’m cheating on him and tell them to tell me our relationship is over. Then he would go back and apologize to them. My husband pushed me once and I had to call the cops on him because of that and his verbal threats. There wasn’t any physical scar but I could on and on because the emotional, psychological, sexual and mental scar will last for a while. 

If he has behaved this way towards you, a lot of what you describe can fall under psychological, mental, sexual and emotional abuse. (Note: I am not a professional psychologist/social worker, this is just my opinion.) Abuse comes in many forms. Please find a professional social worker you can trust. They can give you the counseling you need to heal and go forward in your life. They can also submit a psychological report and give an assessment to the Uscis from their professional perspective about the type of cruel, degrading and inhumane treatment you suffered and how that affected you and your child. Like I wrote earlier, if you cannot afford it, there are a lot of places that offer free counseling services to victims of abuse. Find one in your state. Best of luck to you! 

Edited by namastenyc

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
24 minutes ago, namastenyc said:

Also, if the c31 based EAD card is expiring in Jan 2020, do I still to file for an extension or will it automatically be extended by 180 days? If I file an extension, when is the best time to do that? Aug - Sep? I hear EAD cards are now taking 5-6 months to process. 

Also, since there has not been no updates in my case after VAWA approval, no courtesy letter or request for medical letter or interview letter, should I just go ahead and ask for an EAD extension till my case I-485 case gets adjudicated?

Assuming that it typically takes 8-12 months to get GC after VAWA approval, the earliest I can expect is Dec 2019 or April 2020. 

Any 2017 filers here? Anyone who also  filed around Aug 2017? Did you get any updates about the next steps after vawa approval? Just wanted to share notes. 

Thank you! Have a wonderful evening, everyone! 

@namastenyc I’m not sure about C31 automatic renewals but I believe that you have to send a renewal for C09 before expiration. Better to send it right away since wait times are unpredictable and either way it’s a win-win situation if you get your GC before the C31 EAD expires.

I am a September 2017 filer and just got an update yesterday that my file has been moved to my local office. I have an approved vawa since April 2019.

39 minutes ago, namastenyc said:

Yes, this resource is very comprehensive, detailed and thorough. However, I would suggest that you also meet and consult with an attorney in person. There are a lot of pro bono attorneys or  ones based on your ability to pay. You mentioned a child too. Make sure you change your addrress, I think you have to update it within a certain timeline with Uscis. There are a lot of resources for survivors of DV. Look into your state. There is diverse range of services available, including shelter, counseling, they can help you file for divorce and custody as well as give you advice pertaining to  immigration related policies and help you file your case. Most important thing is to reach out and look for the services you need, including legal and immigration related and finding a reliable attorney to file paperwork early. Please trust and follow Sandra’s advice, she really knows her stuff. 

@namastenyc you say it best! An attorney needs to be invoved..but from what she wrote, psychological/emotional abuse is in order..she has to start evidence gathering and also attend therapy! Who knows..it might fly!👍

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.