poh

Travelling to Vietnam with Greencard

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi Everyone

My wife is planning to travel to Vietnam in few months and we were wondering anyone could share their recent travel experience returning to the US from Vietnam.  My wife is worried that with the current Trump administration's  tough immigration policy is making it difficult for greencard holders.  

Thanks in advance.

Edited by poh

K-1 Visa Interview:

POE :

SS Application Sent:

2017-10-17, Approved!:D

2017-12-6

2017-12-12

Married:                      2018-1-8

SS Card Received:     2018-1-16

SS Application Sent(Name Change):  2018-1-17

AOS Application Sent:   2018-2-8

SS Card Received (Name Change):     2018-2-12

AOS Application Delivered:      2018-2-13

AOS Application Accepted:     2018-2-22

AOS NOA1 Received:       2018-2-26

AOS/EAP Biometrics NOA Received:   2018-3-2

AOS/EAP Biometrics Appointment:  2018-3-12

Interview Scheduled:       2018-7-6  

EAP/AP Card Received:    2018-7-19

Original interview Date :2018-8-24  (USCIS Rescheduled due to Hurricane):cry:

Rescheduled Interview Date :2018-10-2, Approved!!  :D

GC Received :             2018-10-18 :thumbs:

SS Card Update :         2018-10-19

SS Card Received:      2018-10-26

ROC

ROC Application Sent via FedEx:  2020-7-2

ROC Application Received :2020-7-6

Rec'ed Text, Case # Assigned : 2020-7-11

Check Cashed: 2020-7-13

NOA Received: 2020-7-22

Case Transferred : 2021-11-10

Biometrics Applied:. 2021-5-12😄

ROC Interview passed: : 2021-7-4🥳

N-400

Eligible to file for US Citizenship : 2021-7-4🥳

N-400 filed online : 2021-12-1🥳

Biometrics reused

Passed Interview  : 2022-4-27🥳

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, poh said:

Hi Everyone

My wife is planning to travel to Vietnam in few months and we were wondering anyone could share their recent travel experience returning to the US from Vietnam.  My wife is worried that with the current Trump administration's  tough immigration policy is making it difficult for greencard holders.  

Thanks in advance.

She travels .. she returns .. she presents her GC at POE ...thousands of LPR do it every day ... unless she has done something to make the CBP think she has abandoned her LPR status , there is no problem . Simply traveling to Vietnam  is not an issue 

Edited by Lil bear

Timeline

My wife who has a GC  is planning to stay about 2 months in Vietnam to visit her family  so hopefully that won't raise any red flags with CBP upon returning to the states.  I will be travelling with her in case she needs my help. 

Edited by poh

K-1 Visa Interview:

POE :

SS Application Sent:

2017-10-17, Approved!:D

2017-12-6

2017-12-12

Married:                      2018-1-8

SS Card Received:     2018-1-16

SS Application Sent(Name Change):  2018-1-17

AOS Application Sent:   2018-2-8

SS Card Received (Name Change):     2018-2-12

AOS Application Delivered:      2018-2-13

AOS Application Accepted:     2018-2-22

AOS NOA1 Received:       2018-2-26

AOS/EAP Biometrics NOA Received:   2018-3-2

AOS/EAP Biometrics Appointment:  2018-3-12

Interview Scheduled:       2018-7-6  

EAP/AP Card Received:    2018-7-19

Original interview Date :2018-8-24  (USCIS Rescheduled due to Hurricane):cry:

Rescheduled Interview Date :2018-10-2, Approved!!  :D

GC Received :             2018-10-18 :thumbs:

SS Card Update :         2018-10-19

SS Card Received:      2018-10-26

ROC

ROC Application Sent via FedEx:  2020-7-2

ROC Application Received :2020-7-6

Rec'ed Text, Case # Assigned : 2020-7-11

Check Cashed: 2020-7-13

NOA Received: 2020-7-22

Case Transferred : 2021-11-10

Biometrics Applied:. 2021-5-12😄

ROC Interview passed: : 2021-7-4🥳

N-400

Eligible to file for US Citizenship : 2021-7-4🥳

N-400 filed online : 2021-12-1🥳

Biometrics reused

Passed Interview  : 2022-4-27🥳

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Two months should be fine.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline

My wife went to Vietnam in December 2018 after getting her green card in November.  Aside from having to pay 500,000₫ to two Vietnamese customs officers when she arrived in HCM City, she had no other problems.  The only question asked upon her return to the  U.S. (Dulles) was "How long were you out of the country?"  No questions about what she was carrying in her luggage or inspection. 

Two of my wife's coworkers have returned to Vietnam since January.  The first was away for nearly 4 months and the second for 2 months.  No issues at all for either of them upon their return.  Technically, length of stay outside the U.S. is only supposed to be a problem if you are away for 12+ months, but I have read there can sometimes be additional scrutiny (but not denial of entry) over 6 months.

Here is a link from Customs and Border Patrol -  https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/820/~/can-a-u.s.-lawful-permanent-resident-leave-multiple-times-and-return

So, your wife should not worry about returning to the U.S.  Have a safe trip - Jason

4 hours ago, JasonGG said:

Aside from having to pay 500,000₫ to two Vietnamese customs officers when she arrived in HCM City, she had no other problems.  

Jesus that’s a lot. I always prepare $10 handy in case they start asking for “coffee money”. About half of the time, they do. One time one guy gave me a hard time about my CPAP ( I have sleep apnea) and said that it required a “special permit” in advance to “import” to Vietnam. I know for a fact it doesn’t, but between $10 and go to the office and argue with him after 26 hours on the plane, the $10 won. The other time they said the Vietnamese government doesn’t allow Pediasure (for my kid) specifically because it has “poison” in it! Again, really guy, “poison”!???! But again, it is just easier to “here is $10, have a good day, I’m gonna go now. Bye bye!” than arguing with them until you turn blue.

Timeline
7 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

Jesus that’s a lot. I always prepare $10 handy in case they start asking for “coffee money”. About half of the time, they do. One time one guy gave me a hard time about my CPAP ( I have sleep apnea) and said that it required a “special permit” in advance to “import” to Vietnam. I know for a fact it doesn’t, but between $10 and go to the office and argue with him after 26 hours on the plane, the $10 won. The other time they said the Vietnamese government doesn’t allow Pediasure (for my kid) specifically because it has “poison” in it! Again, really guy, “poison”!???! But again, it is just easier to “here is $10, have a good day, I’m gonna go now. Bye bye!” than arguing with them until you turn blue.

She had several iPhones,  electronics, bourbon, cosmetics, and other items in her bags, so she expected to pay more.  I was actually worried she would have a lot more trouble! - Jason

Timeline

No, just items for friends and family.  Her friends paid her for the iphones. They prefer to get them from the US so they know they aren't counterfeit. The rest were gifts for her parents, siblings,  and friends, but I told her it looked like she was importing things for resale. She understood,  which is why she had the bribes ready. 

• 3 weeks later...

The US Immigration Law from the US Department of Immigration Services (USCIS) and the US Department of State (USSD) has a provision for allowing green card holders (permanent residents of the United States) to live and travel outside the United States in period of not more than 12 months. When returning to the United States, you only need to present your original green card and passport. If you want to leave the United States for more than 12 months, you need a Re-entry Permit.

Newest information about Vietnam visa for US citizens here.

Timeline
On 6/1/2019 at 5:48 AM, JasonGG said:

My wife went to Vietnam in December 2018 after getting her green card in November.  Aside from having to pay 500,000₫ to two Vietnamese customs officers when she arrived in HCM City, she had no other problems.  The only question asked upon her return to the  U.S. (Dulles) was "How long were you out of the country?"  No questions about what she was carrying in her luggage or inspection. 

Two of my wife's coworkers have returned to Vietnam since January.  The first was away for nearly 4 months and the second for 2 months.  No issues at all for either of them upon their return.  Technically, length of stay outside the U.S. is only supposed to be a problem if you are away for 12+ months, but I have read there can sometimes be additional scrutiny (but not denial of entry) over 6 months.

Here is a link from Customs and Border Patrol -  https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/820/~/can-a-u.s.-lawful-permanent-resident-leave-multiple-times-and-return

So, your wife should not worry about returning to the U.S.  Have a safe trip - Jason

Just curious at what point did they ask for coffee money? At the passport checkpoint or after getting your luggage?

Timeline
1 hour ago, saigonlove said:

Just curious at what point did they ask for coffee money? At the passport checkpoint or after getting your luggage?

It was at the baggage check point at the airport after passport control and just before exiting the airport.

They didn't specifically ask for money, but did have both iPhones in their hands asking questions until she gave it to them.  As soon as the money exchanged hands, there were no more questions and she was waved through with phones returned.  (In the meantime,  dozens of people went by without anyone even looking at the xray monitors!)

Jason 

4 hours ago, saigonlove said:

Not at the passport checkpoint, usually after getting your luggage and passing through that final X-ray machine. They will start asking stuff like "this need a "special permit" to bring into Vietnam" and if you slip them $10 then suddenly no more special permit required.

Timeline
56 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Not at the passport checkpoint, usually after getting your luggage and passing through that final X-ray machine. They will start asking stuff like "this need a "special permit" to bring into Vietnam" and if you slip them $10 then suddenly no more special permit required.

Yes  that's the one 🙂

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.