Misspippin

My husband is adjusting status to me, a USC (merged)

24 posts in this topic

So my husband had DACA and was denied renewal, so in that he also lost his work authorization. 

Well he kept working for a few months. We recently got married and I have begun to fill out the I-485 form.

Questions 16 and 17 ask if you've ever worked unauthorized and if you've ever violated the terms or conditions of your nonimmigrant status. 

I know to answer yes to both of these questions. What I'm wondering is, what explanation should we give? Should I just be keeping it short and simple?

Can anyone give me examples of what they put?

Here is our situation:

On monday (6-3-19) I should be able to finally send out my husbands AOS forms/packet.

Well, a month ago his employment shut down until further notice, so on the paperwork I put he was unemployed. Well he might be getting his job back a few days after I send the paperwork.

My question is this:

Should we send the paperwork anyway saying hes unemployed since he still technically will be when we send it?

And if we keep it that way, and he gets his job back soon, will USCIS think we intentionally lied and deny us before we even get an interview? Or will they be able to see when he went back?

Should I just take that hes unemployed off the paperwork and put his employment back on there since he will be going back in a couple weeks? (After sending the packet)

TIA

4 hours ago, Misspippin said:

So what you're saying is they dont really care since its marriage to a USC? 

Yup.

4 hours ago, Misspippin said:

His renewal date was past what they were allowing for renewals? I dont have the paper with me for an exact quote.

He entered legally as a teenager

Looks like a straightforward case.

20 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Yup.

Looks like a straightforward case.

Thanks, I'm so sick of people telling me we are screwed. I'm aware what happened isnt right but I also know its forgiven lol.

my sister-in-law is suggesting that I send copies of his tax returns to show that in good faith he still paid his taxes regardless, but since he is not on the i864 form I don't think I really need to send his taxes. Should I anyway to prove that he still did?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~MOved to AOS from Work, Student and Tourist Visas, from DACA - As the OP is starting the AOS process for her husband.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

6 hours ago, Misspippin said:

Should I anyway to prove that he still did?

Your choice, but if it was my case I wouldn't.

6 hours ago, Misspippin said:

Thanks, I'm so sick of people telling me we are screwed.

Most onlookers don't know that immigration is full of nuance. The important thing is that you've done the proper research.

--------------------------------------------

The following might be a long shot:

Could your husband be exempt of the I-864 requirements by being credited with 40 or more SSA credits? Tally up the following:

• Your husband's SSA credits.
  • The SSA credits you earned since marriage. (Probably 0 since you just recently married.)
  • The SSA credits his parent(s) earned. (E.g. if his parent(s) had SSN from GC, EAD (i.e. TPS-based, etc.), etc.)

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/links/0500502135 "5. Qualifying Quarter (QQ)"

https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-864w.pdf

Edited by HRQX

12 hours ago, Misspippin said:

Well he might be getting his job...

Could his employer write-up a job offer letter? After filing the AOS packet he can try to request an EAD expedite based on a job offer: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-1-part-a-chapter-5

Severe financial loss to a company or person, provided that the need for urgent action...

No guarantee but some applicants have been successful in getting the EAD expedited.

Edited by HRQX

11 hours ago, HRQX said:

Could his employer write-up a job offer letter? After filing the AOS packet he can try to request an EAD expedite based on a job offer: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-1-part-a-chapter-5

No guarantee but some applicants have been successful in getting the EAD expedited.

Well he is unauthorized to work at the moment so he is going to be up front with his employers about so we will see if they even let him back anyway.

How do you request an expedited EAD?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.