N400NYC

N400s Filed at Manhattan (NYC) Field Office

445 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
17 hours ago, N400NYC said:

I am hoping it's okay with the admins but I wanted to start a thread that specifically relates to the Manhattan field office. The situation with this office is different from that in the Brooklyn, Queens and Long Island field offices which are part of the other "New York" thread.

The Manhattan field office services residents of Manhattan, the Bronx, and various counties to the north of the city: Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, Sullivan, Orange, Ulster. 

(See here: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices/new-york-new-york-field-office)

This field office has >30,000 pending cases. The published "processing time" is 13 months (50% of cases decided by this point) to 22.5 months (93% of cases decided by this point).

I am hoping more people with pending cases with this field office can start participating in the discussion!

By the way, I filed in April 2019. As of today, my estimated case completion time is April 2020. 

The timing is ridiculous! We have the same timing rates in Florida. I was waiting 1,5 years for my interview (which is not the worst regarding the established timing) 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Lemon23 said:

That makes sense that is why you got an interview right away since you're not under New York City (Manhattan) jurisdictions.

@dhavalkumar where is the location of your interview?

12 minutes ago, Mark_Shalini said:

@dhavalkumar where is the location of your interview?

Should be in Manhattan based on the Tappan, NY zipcode 10983, but different floor and group in Manhattan Federal Plaza building is processing the application for applicants from OP's location.

Interview notice is based on County, regardless if the interview location is on Manhattan. See below:

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/field-office/field-office-state?state=NY&topic_id=1&lang=1125

Edited by Lemon23

VERMONT SERVICE CENTER - I-751 ROC

05/11/17: Date of I-751
05/12/17: VSC received our package

05/12/17: NOA Date
05/14/17: NOA Arrived in the mail & check cashed

06/22/17: Biometrics Appointment at ASC Manhattan

04/09/18: Online changed to case transferred to local office but no actual letter

06/13/18: Card Being Produced - NO RFE/NO INTERVIEW

06/16/18: Approval Letter arrived in the mail with 06/13/18 approval date

06/18/18: Card was picked up by USPS

06/20/18: Received 10 years Green Card from the mail - END OF I-751 JOURNEY!

E-FILING (IOE) N-400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

06/21/18: Submitted Online
06/22/18: Received NOA Online

06/23/18: Online account updated to Biometrics scheduled on 07/12/18

06/25/18: NOA letter arrived in the mail

06/28/18: Biometrics appointment letter arrived in the mail

07/12/18: Biometrics appointment at ASC Manhattan

02/28/19: In Line for Interview

03/01/19: Interview Date is on 04/08/19

04/08/19: Interview Day: Approved on the spot

04/09/19: We Scheduled your Oath Ceremony 

04/12/19: Oath Letter arrived in the mail

05/02/19: Oath Ceremony - OFFICIALLY U.S. CITIZEN AND END OF IMMIGRATION JOURNEY!

DS-11 - APPLICATION FOR US PASSPORT BOOK AND CARD

05/02/19: Submitted application thru USPS - Expedited
05/06/19: Received email, passport application is now traceable online thru Travel.State.gov website (https://passportstatus.state.gov/Search)

05/08/19: Received email, passport has been printed and it's on final processing
05/09/19: Received email, passport application has been finished processing with USPS tracking number and expected delivery is on 05/14/2019

05/10/19: Receive email from USPS informed Delivery - Expected Passport delivery is on 05/11/2019

05/11/19: Passport book received thru USPS Priority Mail

05/13/19: Passport card received

05/14/19: Naturalization Certificate back - END OF PASSPORT APPLICATION!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Lemon23 said:

Should be in Manhattan based on the Tappan, NY zipcode 10983, but different floor and group in Manhattan Federal Plaza building is processing the application for applicants from OP's location.

Interview notice is based on County, regardless if the interview location is on Manhattan.

I was under the impression they would just dump everyone in line based on FIFO. So they have different areas/levels/offices for the different county. Would that mean that the rest of the surrounding counties which are not as packed up like NYC applicants would make it faster?

11 minutes ago, Mark_Shalini said:

Would that mean that the rest of the surrounding counties which are not as packed up like NYC applicants would make it faster?

Yes, since the interview notice is based on County, like for example in Queens county, most applicants in Queens got their interview already after 11 months.

Queens is known as the much faster County to process the N-400 application within the New York City jurisdictions.

I don't believe in FIFO, it's just that Manhattan is packed with applicants having 62k pending applications compared to other NY counties.

Edited by Lemon23

VERMONT SERVICE CENTER - I-751 ROC

05/11/17: Date of I-751
05/12/17: VSC received our package

05/12/17: NOA Date
05/14/17: NOA Arrived in the mail & check cashed

06/22/17: Biometrics Appointment at ASC Manhattan

04/09/18: Online changed to case transferred to local office but no actual letter

06/13/18: Card Being Produced - NO RFE/NO INTERVIEW

06/16/18: Approval Letter arrived in the mail with 06/13/18 approval date

06/18/18: Card was picked up by USPS

06/20/18: Received 10 years Green Card from the mail - END OF I-751 JOURNEY!

E-FILING (IOE) N-400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

06/21/18: Submitted Online
06/22/18: Received NOA Online

06/23/18: Online account updated to Biometrics scheduled on 07/12/18

06/25/18: NOA letter arrived in the mail

06/28/18: Biometrics appointment letter arrived in the mail

07/12/18: Biometrics appointment at ASC Manhattan

02/28/19: In Line for Interview

03/01/19: Interview Date is on 04/08/19

04/08/19: Interview Day: Approved on the spot

04/09/19: We Scheduled your Oath Ceremony 

04/12/19: Oath Letter arrived in the mail

05/02/19: Oath Ceremony - OFFICIALLY U.S. CITIZEN AND END OF IMMIGRATION JOURNEY!

DS-11 - APPLICATION FOR US PASSPORT BOOK AND CARD

05/02/19: Submitted application thru USPS - Expedited
05/06/19: Received email, passport application is now traceable online thru Travel.State.gov website (https://passportstatus.state.gov/Search)

05/08/19: Received email, passport has been printed and it's on final processing
05/09/19: Received email, passport application has been finished processing with USPS tracking number and expected delivery is on 05/14/2019

05/10/19: Receive email from USPS informed Delivery - Expected Passport delivery is on 05/11/2019

05/11/19: Passport book received thru USPS Priority Mail

05/13/19: Passport card received

05/14/19: Naturalization Certificate back - END OF PASSPORT APPLICATION!

There are 3 separate field offices with 3 separate processing time lines: 

- Manhattan/NYC (which also processes counties to the north of NYC)

- Brooklyn

- Queens

But they are all physically located at Federal Plaza in Manhattan.

Across the 3 field offices there are about 80,000 pending applications (see here)

- Manhattan: 30,000

- Brooklyn: 25,000

- Queens: 25,000

Edited by N400NYC

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

4/2019: Submitted N400

5/2019: Biometrics (3 weeks)

2/2020: Interview (10 months)

3/2020: Oath & naturalization (11 months)

6/2020: Passport received (3 months)

Officially a U.S. Citizen! 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
19 hours ago, N400NYC said:

This field office has >30,000 pending cases. The published "processing time" is 13 months (50% of cases decided by this point) to 22.5 months (93% of cases decided by this point).

So an interesting data point as comparision, numbers are my thing....New Orleans has 3000+ cases in the que, with a wait time of 12 to 19 months.  I filed late April est completion July 2020.  Both situations frustrating, but does that mean that NOLA has 10% of the officers as Manhattan?  

14 minutes ago, NovaSprings said:

So an interesting data point as comparision, numbers are my thing....New Orleans has 3000+ cases in the que, with a wait time of 12 to 19 months.  I filed late April est completion July 2020.  Both situations frustrating, but does that mean that NOLA has 10% of the officers as Manhattan?  

It's a good question. I really don't know how USCIS as an entity allocates staff/resources. Logically one would assume that staff are distributed based on need/demand. But the inconsistency in processing times across field offices leads me to think the ratio of staff to pending cases is also totally inconsistent from one field office to the next. 

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

3 hours ago, Lemon23 said:

That makes sense that is why you got an interview right away since you're not under New York City (Manhattan) jurisdictions.

Actually, Tappan is in Rockland and that county is covered by the Manhattan/NYC field office. So that's why I am perplexed! 

The Manhattan "New York City" field office services residents of Manhattan, the Bronx, and various counties to the north of the city: Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, Sullivan, Orange, Ulster. 

Edited by N400NYC

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

@Mark_Shalini - it's a bit confusing, but all three field offices that process cases for New York City, are all located in the same building in Manhattan, but they have separate caseloads:

- "New York City" field office: Manhattan, Bronx + six counties to the north of NYC

- Brooklyn field office

- Queens field office 

All are located in the same building in Manhattan (but on different floors). So perhaps some people say the "NYC/Manhattan" field office but really their field office is Brooklyn or Queens. 

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

@dhavalkumar - your experience is interesting because you are living in Manhattan and have received an interview within 5 months which is super fast by the standards of the "NYC" field office. So I guess we are trying to work out if that was just a one-time luck thing or there are other factors involved (like the "last in, first out" theory mentioned elsewhere). If I got an interview within six months I would be very happy based on how dismal things currently look. 

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

Timeline
1 hour ago, N400NYC said:

@dhavalkumar - your experience is interesting because you are living in Manhattan and have received an interview within 5 months which is super fast by the standards of the "NYC" field office. So I guess we are trying to work out if that was just a one-time luck thing or there are other factors involved (like the "last in, first out" theory mentioned elsewhere). If I got an interview within six months I would be very happy based on how dismal things currently look. 

He lives in tappan,NY (Rockland)- that’s the part @Lemon23 was explaining there is a further breakdown based on counties. 

51 minutes ago, Mark_Shalini said:

He lives in tappan,NY (Rockland)- that’s the part @Lemon23 was explaining there is a further breakdown based on counties. 

No, I don't think there is (perhaps L23 didn't realize that Rockland is managed by the NYC office). All cases from those 6 counties (north of the Bronx) go through the same field office - "New York City" - I highly doubt they would have separate processing times/lines/queues for people from different counties going through the same field office. 

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.