jagsfl

A few questions regarding the I-130 petition

12 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I'm in the middle of putting the petition together and I have a few questions just to triple check I have everything right! Some questions may sound dumb, but whatever lol! Thanks -

1. How much do I need to send in with my petition to USCIS? Only the $535 for Form I-130?
Does the: 
$325 to the U.S. State Department to apply for the visa, and $120 to the State Department for affidavit of support processing (if the I-864 form is reviewed by USCIS) paid later on in the process?

If everything is approved, you will also have to pay an Immigrant Fee to USCIS ($220 as of early 2019). That makes the total government cost $1,200.

2. Do I need do add a proof of naturalization, when I have already added all pages of my passport? If I do, what will work as proof of naturalization?

3. The site states a few weeks after sending petition I’ll receive a NOA letter stating they have begun the processing of I-130. Will this letter be physical only? Or can I get them to give me Every NOA update through E-mail? (since I’m currently overseas with wife).

4. A copy of petitioner’s proof of residency: Does a phone bill work?

5. On the I-130A, "Address History" section, the way the structure is set up for putting an address (set up in a way for a U.S. citizen would put their address) would not work for my wife's address. Her address is very long and completely different than the states. Should I just leave the "Address History" Part 1 4a-9b completely blank, and then just put all of her Address History info into the Part 7. Additional Information section?

Thanks all. 

Edited by jagsfl

August 15, 2019: Submitted Date
September 09, 2019 (around this date): Received NOA1

April 15, 2020: USCIS approved. Sent to National Visa Center

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

1. only the application fee $535 at this point/ NVC gets the next 2 fees and the other is paid online after visa is issued

and to add this is still cheaper than K1 as the AOS  alone for K1 is $1225 (after marriage) 

2. naturalization letter

3.  receipt letter is a letter / after that they seem to use only email ID

4. proof of residency can be driving license,  etc   cell phone bills don't work as we can keep a number and move to another state

5. long address can be put part here or say " see attached"

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, jagsfl said:

Hey everyone, I'm in the middle of putting the petition together and I have a few questions just to triple check I have everything right! Some questions may sound dumb, but whatever lol! Thanks -

1. How much do I need to send in with my petition to USCIS? Only the $535 for Form I-130?
Does the: 
$325 to the U.S. State Department to apply for the visa, and $120 to the State Department for affidavit of support processing (if the I-864 form is reviewed by USCIS) paid later on in the process?

If everything is approved, you will also have to pay an Immigrant Fee to USCIS ($220 as of early 2019). That makes the total government cost $1,200.

2. Do I need do add a proof of naturalization, when I have already added all pages of my passport? If I do, what will work as proof of naturalization?

3. The site states a few weeks after sending petition I’ll receive a NOA letter stating they have begun the processing of I-130. Will this letter be physical only? Or can I get them to give me Every NOA update through E-mail? (since I’m currently overseas with wife).

4. A copy of petitioner’s proof of residency: Does a phone bill work?

5. On the I-130A, "Address History" section, the way the structure is set up for putting an address (set up in a way for a U.S. citizen would put their address) would not work for my wife's address. Her address is very long and completely different than the states. Should I just leave the "Address History" Part 1 4a-9b completely blank, and then just put all of her Address History info into the Part 7. Additional Information section?

Thanks all. 

Answers:

1. Only send the amount called for in the instructions.
  2. All pages of your passport are sufficient.
  3. Send the G-1145 for electronic notification of receipt.  Once you are notified that your petition has been received and you have a receipt number, use the USCIS website to sign up for electronic notifications.
  4. This is not needed at this time.
  5. Write "see attached' on the form itself and use a supplemental sheet to write the address in its complete and proper form.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ryan H said:

Answers:

1. Only send the amount called for in the instructions.
  2. All pages of your passport are sufficient.
  3. Send the G-1145 for electronic notification of receipt.  Once you are notified that your petition has been received and you have a receipt number, use the USCIS website to sign up for electronic notifications.
  4. This is not needed at this time.
  5. Write "see attached' on the form itself and use a supplemental sheet to write the address in its complete and proper form.

Agreed except for 5.  Write, "see last page for full address" in the first address field.  Then, complete what you can in the available space, like city, province, country.  Then, type the full address in the space available at the end of the form.  Those spaces are there to avoid the need for attaching a separate sheet.  Don't piss them off for no reason.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

On 5/23/2019 at 6:51 PM, pushbrk said:

Agreed except for 5.  Write, "see last page for full address" in the first address field.  Then, complete what you can in the available space, like city, province, country.  Then, type the full address in the space available at the end of the form.  Those spaces are there to avoid the need for attaching a separate sheet.  Don't piss them off for no reason.

Thanks will do that. I'm working on that now.

On the instructions for the petition package, it states that you need to add EITHER - copy of birth certificate, or all pages of passport.  It also states on top of that you also have to add 
proof of naturalization.  So as for my #2 question, is it really safe to only add B.C. or Pages of Passport only?  And skip the proof of naturalization? Thanks!

I also have a few of other questions too....

1) On the I-130 I have to put my previous addresses. The first one can be left empty because it is the same as my current address as previously filled out on the form. However I have to put my most previous address too. Well, I have no clue at all what my last address was and what dates I lived there. This was over 5 years ago, and during that time I moved around to different apartments quite frequently so I have lost track. What's the best thing to do in this scenario?

I thought about just putting one of my previous apartments that I know about, and some approximate time frame that I was living in that city, and then in the additional comments section putting this:

"I am not sure on the exact dates that I lived in each different apartment while living in Biloxi, Mississippi. During this time, I was active duty in the United States Air Force. When I discharged from active duty and switched to the Air Force Reserves in 2014, I moved back home to _________. I would rather state all of this than put the wrong dates in these fields."

Would that be OK?

2) Page 3 #38:  Have you obtained a Certificate of Naturalization or a Certificate of Citizenship?  

Would a Birth Certificate be considered one of the above? Probably a very dumb question but I just want to be clear. If it is, the next things that is asked is:  Certificate Number, Place of Issuance and Date of Issuance. I don't have my BC on hand, it's back home, but I would imagine the Certificate Number is on there?  And then for the next 2 I would just put the city/state I was born and my date of birth correct?

3) Last year I was going to do the fiance visa but then changed my mind. In that petitioner form, it had me put all of my information about my past arrests to include police reports and court hearing documents. On the I-130 it does not ask for these things. Do I not need to add these into the package? Is this stuff brought up during another time of the process?

Thanks everybody big time!

Edited by jagsfl

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
9 hours ago, jagsfl said:

I also have a few of other questions too....

1) On the I-130 I have to put my previous addresses. 

Don't know sorry

2) Page 3 #38:  Have you obtained a Certificate of Naturalization or a Certificate of Citizenship?  

If you are a US Citizen from birth, the checkbox should = "NO" 

It would only be YES if you have a Certificate of Naturalization or a Certificate of Citizenship. A birth certificate is neither of those. (Google image search it)

3) Last year I was going to do the fiance visa but then changed my mind. In that petitioner form, it had me put all of my information about my past arrests to include police reports and court hearing documents. On the I-130 it does not ask for these things. Do I not need to add these into the package? Is this stuff brought up during another time of the process?

Thanks everybody big time!

I did not include any of that information on our application for the same reason. It's not asked for. But I do have copies of the arrest reports/documents. It might come up later, IDK. If it does, be honest and own it. What happened happened and it's in the past. I've told my wife about my prior arrests so she's not caught off guard if it does come up. Plus I'm sure the government can and will find out. 

For your address question - I completed as much as I could then used the Additional Information section to show the address in the correct format and language. 

[EDIT] After you get notification USCIS received/accepted your application, don't expect to hear anything for a long time. Today is day 80 for our application, only 300 more days to go.....

Edited by Scott001

I-130                                                                 I-129F

Spoiler

Mailed: Mar. 9, 2019 (Phoenix LB)              Aug. 9,  2019

Delivered: Mar. 12, 2019                               Aug. 12, 2019

NOA1/PD: Mar. 15,  2019 (LIN)                   Aug. 15,  2019

NOA2: Sep. 24, 2019 - Approved                 Sep. 24, 2019 - Denied 

I-130 sent to NVC: Oct. 8, 2019

Received NVC: Oct. 18, 2019

NVC Case#: Nov. 09, 2019 (Assigned to China, should be Japan )

AOS Submitted: Nov. 18, 2019

IV Submitted:  Dec. 23, 2019

AOS/IV Approved: Jan. 16, 2020 

Interview Scheduled: Jan. 23, 2020

Request location change: Mid Nov. 2019 --> Feb. 21, 2020

Contacted my Reps (House, Senate): Feb. 5, 2020 - Rep contacted Guangzhou & Tokyo. 

Response 1: Feb. 11, 2020 - Guangzhou gave copy/paste info to my Rep's office.

Response 2: Feb. 18, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy - Requested transfer fm China - Case moved to Administrative Processing 

A Short Time Later after talking with Rep. Case's office, they contacted the embassies again. 

Response 3: Feb. 21, 2020 - Transfer complete; New interview scheduled.

Interview Date: Mar. 2, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy 

Interview Result: Approved

Visa Issued: Mar. 4, 2020

Visa in hand: Mar. 6, 2020

Time: ~359 Days from start to finish 

POE:  Stupid COVID-19 delaying travel to the US....

POE: Aug. 13, 2020 - San Francisco 

SSN: Oct. 23, 2020

GC: Aug 5, 2021 (51 weeks from entry)

I-751

NOA1 - May 20, 2022 CA Service Center

NOA2 - July 20, 2022 Case Transfered to NBC

NOA3 - Mar 6, 2023 48 month GC extension letter

NOA4 - Sep 1, 2023 Biometrics Appointment 

Update - Oct 6, 2023 Case status update to show fingerprints taken  

:clock:

Timeline
14 hours ago, jagsfl said:

Thanks will do that. I'm working on that now.

On the instructions for the petition package, it states that you need to add EITHER - copy of birth certificate, or all pages of passport.  It also states on top of that you also have to add 
proof of naturalization.  So as for my #2 question, is it really safe to only add B.C. or Pages of Passport only?  And skip the proof of naturalization? Thanks!

If you were born in the US, you never Naturalized.  If you were NOT born in the US or have a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, then your birth certificate is not needed at all.  You only need one approved form of evidence of your US Citizenship.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

16 hours ago, Scott001 said:

Don't know sorry

If you are a US Citizen from birth, the checkbox should = "NO" 

It would only be YES if you have a Certificate of Naturalization or a Certificate of Citizenship. A birth certificate is neither of those. (Google image search it)

I did not include any of that information on our application for the same reason. It's not asked for. But I do have copies of the arrest reports/documents. It might come up later, IDK. If it does, be honest and own it. What happened happened and it's in the past. I've told my wife about my prior arrests so she's not caught off guard if it does come up. Plus I'm sure the government can and will find out. 

For your address question - I completed as much as I could then used the Additional Information section to show the address in the correct format and language. 

[EDIT] After you get notification USCIS received/accepted your application, don't expect to hear anything for a long time. Today is day 80 for our application, only 300 more days to go.....

Thanks Scott for this info! In regards to the arrests - Yeah it may come up and if it does, I have all the paperwork ready, so no biggie!

12 hours ago, pushbrk said:

If you were born in the US, you never Naturalized.  If you were NOT born in the US or have a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, then your birth certificate is not needed at all.  You only need one approved form of evidence of your US Citizenship.

Thanks Pushbrk!  Would you possibly know the answer to this?:

1) On the I-130 I have to put my previous addresses. The first one can be left empty because it is the same as my current address as previously filled out on the form. However I have to put my most previous address too. Well, I have no clue at all what my last address was and what dates I lived there. This was over 5 years ago, and during that time I moved around to different apartments quite frequently so I have lost track. What's the best thing to do in this scenario?

I thought about just putting one of my previous apartments that I know about, and some approximate time frame that I was living in that city, and then in the additional comments section putting this:

"I am not sure on the exact dates that I lived in each different apartment while living in Biloxi, Mississippi. During this time, I was active duty in the United States Air Force. When I discharged from active duty and switched to the Air Force Reserves in 2014, I moved back home to _________. I would rather state all of this than put the wrong dates in these fields."

Would that be OK?

Timeline
9 hours ago, jagsfl said:

Thanks Scott for this info! In regards to the arrests - Yeah it may come up and if it does, I have all the paperwork ready, so no biggie!

Thanks Pushbrk!  Would you possibly know the answer to this?:

Would that be OK?

No.  Read all the questions carefully and answer them as accurately as possible.  You may have to do some research.  If so, do it.  However, on the address history, only one address is needed if you've been there over five years.  Additional addresses are only needed if you lived at your current address LESS than 5 years.  The form is asking for five years of residence history and five years of employment history.  Some people live at the same address their whole lives.  For form has space for four or five children too.  If it is not applicable, it's not applicable.  

Google Who is Pushbrk?

10 hours ago, pushbrk said:

No.  Read all the questions carefully and answer them as accurately as possible.  You may have to do some research.  If so, do it.  However, on the address history, only one address is needed if you've been there over five years.  Additional addresses are only needed if you lived at your current address LESS than 5 years.  The form is asking for five years of residence history and five years of employment history.  Some people live at the same address their whole lives.  For form has space for four or five children too.  If it is not applicable, it's not applicable.  

Thanks a lot. I didn't catch where it said current address less than 5 years. The one spot where I didn't really read the form. This helped cause I've lived in current home for little over 5 years now, so I'm good! Appreciate your response!!

Timeline
1 hour ago, jagsfl said:

Thanks a lot. I didn't catch where it said current address less than 5 years. The one spot where I didn't really read the form. This helped cause I've lived in current home for little over 5 years now, so I'm good! Appreciate your response!!

It's a positive instruction to provide 5 years of residence history.  No instruction for providing more.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.