4 posts in this topic

If my US spouse applies for food stamp, will it affect our ROC in the future?

I am married to a USC for more than 2 years. When we applied for AOS (I was on student visa at first), we weren't married for more than 2 years, so I, the beneficiary, got a conditional green card. I have to remove the condition next year. 

when we applied for AOS, my US spouse wasn't making more than enough income to pass the poverty guideline, but I was making a pretty decent income on OPT, so I was able to use my income for I864 purposes, and I got my conditional green card.

Unfortunately, my spouse lost his job because of frequent tardiness, and he was jobless for 5 months. He recently found a job that pays the minimum wage, and he is going to start working at the end of this month. Since he has a bad habit of overspending, he has no saving, so I was always paying all the bills and groceries etc after he lost his job.

To make matters worse, I got fired too and we both became jobless. Luckily, I was saving money, so we have been able to survive on my saving, but every time I saw my balance going down, it got me worried.  Luckily, I got a job too and I am starting at the end of this month as well.

My husband suggested he should apply for food stamp. 

1) Can he even apply for food stamp when we both got a job, and we are going to start working soon? He will be making minimum wage in his new job, and I will be making about twice as much.

2) If he ever does apply for food stamp, and gets accepted, will it affect our future ROC situation negatively?

7 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I doubt that guidance -- that (most) LPRs damage their prospects by applying for food stamps and other benefits -- is even accurate.

Here's USCIS's "public charge guidance": https://www.uscis.gov/legal-resources/proposed-change-public-charge-ground-inadmissibility. The relevant section is quoted below:

Individuals seeking immigrant or nonimmigrant visas abroad, individuals seeking admission to the United States on immigrant or nonimmigrant visas, and individuals seeking to adjust their status from within the United States.  The proposed rule also would consider certain receipt of public benefits by individuals within the United States in a nonimmigrant (i.e., temporary) status who are seeking to either extend their stay or change their status.

While some lawful permanent residents can be subject to the public charge ground of inadmissibility because specific circumstances dictate that they be considered applicants for admission, most lawful permanent residents are not subject to inadmissibility determinations, including public charge inadmissibility. Therefore, lawful permanent residents who subsequently apply for naturalization would not be subject to inadmissibility determinations, including a public charge inadmissibility determination.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
13 minutes ago, afrocraft said:

I doubt that guidance -- that (most) LPRs damage their prospects by applying for food stamps and other benefits -- is even accurate.

Here's USCIS's "public charge guidance": https://www.uscis.gov/legal-resources/proposed-change-public-charge-ground-inadmissibility. The relevant section is quoted below:

Whether you are right or wrong, the point is OP’s spouse is the USC wanting to go one the dole, and what I linked says that won’t be a problem.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.